Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning. Lovely resolutions! I hope your hip is getting better. Wrap up warm. It looks so wintry by me!!!!

I think you and Pinky have been v brave - I haven't been out of the house for a week!!!!:rotfl:

Enjoy meeting your friends. :beer::j:D
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Ha, thanks both! Sorry to hear about your hip, and bless your DS for taking her for you. Fingers crossed it'll be less painful tomorrow! And SW - in fairness, you've had a pretty solid excuse for going into hibernation-mode. I'm glad you're up and running again now!

Aren't lady-checks the worst :( Fortunately I'm too young for the upstairs checks yet, but the downstairs ones aren't much fun either!! Do you use Tesco Clubcard much? That's how we tend to "pay" for our meals out: you get 3 x value of your clubcard points. However, since you can no longer have TCB payments paid out as Clubcard points, we're starting to run a little low in terms of points for meals out :(

Your resolutions sounds fab, I'd love to join you on your decluttering mission - I keep seeing them online and wanting to sign up but can never muster the motivation to actually follow through for some reason!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    .. bless your DS for taking her for you.

Its actually his dog ! :D However due to his work / study commitments I have ended up looking after her / walking her a lot! I don't mind as she has given me something to focus on and it makes me exercise !

I enjoyed meeting up with friends yesterday, although tea in cost-a-lot has gone up to £2.10 from £2. We had a wander round the shops afterwards and the only thing I bought was a toy for the dog £3.99 :p

All food was from stores, we had the steak pies bought in co-op last week reduced to £35p for dinner with oven chips, mushy peas and gravy and the apple crumble reduced to 50p with the last of the double cream. We've used up all the christmas leftovers. The lamb made 3 further meals but has now all gone.

I've had a renewal through for my breakdown cover and have found a cheaper quote online, so I will sort that out later today. Funds will be used from the bills account. I will pack away the Christmas decs today and hoover up. Back to work tomorrow.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on lovely food and meeting up with friends. Have a good night.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I walked the dog to the park this morning and thankfully the pain in my hip has gone :)

DS was home so we had sausage sandwiches with cheesy rolls from aldi which were yummy.

Week 1 declutter: I packed away the Christmas decs and hoovered. Also cleared my bedside table it's amazing how much junk had accumulated ! I am working my way up to the dressing table :rotfl:

I had a kebab delivered for dinner using some Christmas money. Cubes of chicken and lamb not the donner stuff, lots of fresh crispy salad and fries and a can of drink using a 15% off voucher on their own website instead of just eat cost £8.50

Off to bed now as up at 5am for work. Have been asleep on sofa since 9pm ;)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Glad your feeling better, I do like cheese topped rolls not tried the aldi ones surprisingly so will have to remedy that swiftly, I just like cheese and bread in any form to the point that its pretty much a least one of my meals a day if im honest.

Have you booked your diabetes appointment?
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Glad you're back in good health!

And oooooooh, kebab! We've got an INCREDIBLE greek takeaway near us who do various kebabs (with the chunks of meat) - left to my own devices, it would be the only takeaway I'd EVER order. Sadly, I have to take my husbands wishes into consideration (occasionally at least!)

Sounds like the decluttering is going well - I still have my christmas trees up. Somehow taking them down always feels like giving into cold and dark January! But I really do need to take them down soon before I get too used to them and they stay up all year :rotfl:
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 12:31AM
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Have you booked your diabetes appointment?

...er no :o but I've booked a hair appointment :rotfl:

Seriously though I have booked one health appointment so its a start. I've also had an appointment to go for a mammogram... in the supermarket car park on a Saturday afternoon ! Will be changing that as I can't think of anything worse than trying to battle into a supermarket car park on a Saturday afternoon ;) I've also had a letter this week from the optician to say I have not been for 3 years eek...

So that's:
    voice therapy appointment - booked
    ENT hospital follow up - booked
    Dr appointment - booked
    hair appointment - booked

Still to book:
    Diabetes check
    mammogram
    eye test
    dentist

I went to card factory today to get my dad a card for his birthday and they had a sale on :D I got 2 boxes of Christmas cards with 75% off cost 25p each and a 3 roll pack of foil wrapping paper with 75% off cost 50p. Also the birthday card was 50% off cost 49p. Total spend £1.49 amount saved £3.47 T

Had an email from :money: energy club to say my energy switch cashback has been paid £25 :T

Living off savings diary
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    My husband try's to delay his bloods in January, I think most people do so you may as well book the appointment and get it over with, or that's what they will think your doing :rotfl:
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2019 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Thank goodness its the weekend ! The first week back at work after Christmas holidays has felt like a lifetime.

Yesterday I collected my parcel of clothes from George bought with my Christmas money and I now have a dilemma. They sent me 2 of the same handbags but I only ordered one and they have only charged me for one !

I didn't get chance to try the clothes yesterday so I will do that today. I have arranged to go with a friend to the local pub for a cheap lunch 2 for £8.99 so I am looking forward to that later. DS is home for the weekend so he will be walking the dog.

I provided my meter reading to my gas & elec supplier and my direct debit has gone up slightly, but not by as much as they wanted last month ! They were asking for £69 a month but I set it at £60 for December and they have now recommended £64 so I've changed to that from 1 Feb as I don't want a big bill. I must admit I do like EON for this reason as you can set your own direct debit, especially after recent reports of a certain foxy provider ripping people off. I tend to go for the cheapest of the larger providers but have been to co-op energy and M&S energy and sainsburys energy in the past when they were offering cheap deals. I must admit I'm the same with car insurance and house insurance I never go for the cheap providers who I have never heard of :p I go for the cheapest of the well known providers, maybe I'm missing a good deal but it somehow makes me feel more secure ;)

Week 2 of the declutter and I bought a cream plastic wicker effect wash basket for the kitchen for wet dog towels which is ideal. I was looking at a similar small slim basket in h&m last week which was £23, but this curver one was in asda for £12 and is just the right size to fit where I had in mind without taking up too much space. This means the wet dog towels are off the floor/worktop and the dog can't keep pinching them and running off with them :D

I also bought a clear plastic small 4 drawer stack of shelves in asda also £12 which fit on the end of the worktop and I have decluttered the entire worktop. Anything I have kept has gone into the drawers, including one drawer for carrier bags and one for recycling cans/cardboard etc waiting to go outside to the main recycling bin. It looks so much tidier which is a relief as stuff was starting to pile up and kept falling off. :o My peg basket fits on the top too, so the dog can't keep pinching my wooden pegs and chewing them !

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback