PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property

Options

Comments

• kdotdotdotdot
    Options
    Anyone else wondering if this poster sold their home to this person: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6090840 ???
  • Halfie
    Halfie Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh sweety... our house had been stood empty for 11 months and previous to that was lived in by a very elderly infirm gentleman. Filth actually ran off the walls and tiles when we started cleaning and the cooker hood was a fire hazard cause it was so full of fat. And what came out of the carpet should probably have been donated to medical science! Believe me I considered this course of action too but figured it would get me now where as cleanliness is subjective... Ignore them. Costs of cleaning materials are, in my mind, part of moving costs! As for them trying to claim for painting materials.... taking the proverbial!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2020 at 4:39PM
    Options
    £650 labour charge for cleaning a house and a bit of redecorating (£38 of paint won't go far)???

They were robbed :D

Not just the paint but I reckon they were robbed on other items too.

OP keep us updated with any further news.
  • EHomer
    EHomer Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone else wondering if this poster sold their home to this person:

Nope. The boiler was serviced at their request and radiators bled. Oven was spotless too. No leak on kitchen either.
  • EHomer
    Options
    Halfie wrote: »
    Oh sweety... our house had been stood empty for 11 months and previous to that was lived in by a very elderly infirm gentleman. Filth actually ran off the walls and tiles when we started cleaning and the cooker hood was a fire hazard cause it was so full of fat. And what came out of the carpet should probably have been donated to medical science! Believe me I considered this course of action too but figured it would get me now where as cleanliness is subjective... Ignore them. Costs of cleaning materials are, in my mind, part of moving costs! As for them trying to claim for painting materials.... taking the proverbial!

I know how you feel. House we moved into was same. Empty for a year and full of grime. The kitchen was worst part here too. Getting our bill together for the purchase :rotfl:
    Urgh I don't even want to imagine the colour of the water that came out the carpet. Just think of the end goal of a home you made your own!
    One of our rooms looks like the 70s partied too hard and threw up everywhere. The carpet matches the wallpaper. They wallpapered around the wardrobe too... :rotfl:
  • EHomer
    Options
    So I replied to the solicitor

Good evening

Please do not respond to this request from them. The house was sold in a condition commensurate to their viewing, they were offered to come to the property when I went back to clean the property.
    To answer will I pay for their bill of items, the answer now will be as it will be going forward, and i refer you to Hamlet Act 3 Scene 3 Line 87... "No".
    I do wonder however what the bill would be for a house requiring renovation. If for a small end terrace it is to this value a house requiring full renovation must be a considerable amount.
    Please do not respond to any further communication from them regarding this as I am not paying for anything.

Many thanks
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    tealady wrote: »
    OP are you in the USA by any chance. This is a UK site.
    I doubt someone would have their lawyer deal with this kind of nonsense at $500 an hour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is madness, ignore it completely!
    When I bought my flat the seller had strategically placed furniture around to hide the fact that the carpets weren't fitted, just laid down on the floor & there was smoke staining throughout which wasn't obvious until she took the pictures down.
    But to be honest I didn't care about any of that, I can see why she did it and it's my own fault for not noticing.
    These people are crazy for trying to get compensation! Why anyone would think it's worth the hassle I don't know.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EHomer wrote: »
    I did receive receipts from the buyers solicitors some time ago but as these included costs for drinks etc I have already asked for a revised list. I look forward to your comments on the above.

Just a thought... Are you sure your solicitor isn't treating this almost as a joke?

You could almost interpret the para above as...
    They wasted my time by sending this stupid request, with a bunch of drinks receipts...

So I played along, and wasted their time, by asking for a revised list without the drinks.

What do you think of that?
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pretty sure I have posted this before but we had something tried on from buyers about missing window keys. The son of the vendor tried to claim that all the windows needed replacing - they weren't even locked. You could buy keys online for approx £2 each and it was 2 windows. This vendor had messed us around for months, the final straw being that she didn't realise that she would have to pay a deposit at exchange. She then wanted us to wait a further 3 weeks AFTER her current property had been bought by the property management people for completion. The window thing really was taking the proverbial.

Our wonderful solicitor rang me and I could hear the trepidation in her voice when she told me. Her view was "how far do you want me to tell them to F off?" but slightly more polite. I asked her to send the reply quoted on page 2 from Arkell vs Pressdram. She was not familiar with the case but did her due diligence and sent the letter. She refused to charge us for it because we had educated her on a legal matter and she wanted to get one over on the other side. That was the last we heard of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure