PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property

123457»

Comments

• yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Quite frankly I'm astounded that the solicitor didn't come to you first, advising you they asked this silly thing and that it's nonsense, and TELLING you how they intend to politely tell the buyer to get stuffed. A solicitor is supposed to understand what they're doing, not get a surprise that they acted without your instruction and you didn't like it. I agree with others that the letter they sent you as a draft looks ridiculously amateur. Is this a large firm? It might well be being handled by a legal secretary / trainee, see if you can go higher to get more appropriate handling of this, especially since you've been dubiously told the buyer might have legal recourse to go after you...:huh:
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January 2020 at 11:56PM
    mpet wrote: »
    Personally, I would cut the response (if any) down to
    The house was left in a condition commensurate with their viewing.I will not be paying anything

After that I would not enter any further dialogue on the subject.

Still too long. The correct response is nothing, but if one must be given, it requires only two words.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Dineen33
    Dineen33 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Arkell v Pressdram

An unlikely piece of British legal history occurred in what is now referred to as the "case" of Arkell v. Pressdram (1971).

The plaintiff was the subject of an article relating to illicit payments, and the magazine had ample evidence to back up the article. Arkell's lawyers wrote a letter which concluded: "His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply."

The magazine's response was, in full: "We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr J. Arkell.

We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: "f*ck off."

In the years following, the magazine would refer to this exchange as a euphemism for a blunt and coarse dismissal: for example, "We refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram".

As with "tired and emotional" this usage has spread beyond the magazine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport