PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property

Options

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Blimey, I've been in my house just over a year now and I've just about got there with the decorating all bar one room - maybe I should present the previous owner with a bill as well?

It'd be hard though as she's dead now.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    £650 labour charge for cleaning a house and a bit of redecorating (£38 of paint won't go far)???
    Paint
    2 x£20.00
    £40.00

Paint
    £26.00

Paint
    £23.00

Paint
    £15.00

£38 ? Where did you go to school?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 16 January 2020 at 1:05PM
    Options
    EHomer wrote: »
    So I replied to the solicitor

Good evening

Please do not respond to this request from them. The house was sold in a condition commensurate to their viewing, they were offered to come to the property when I went back to clean the property.
    To answer will I pay for their bill of items, the answer now will be as it will be going forward, and i refer you to Hamlet Act 3 Scene 3 Line 87... "No".
    I do wonder however what the bill would be for a house requiring renovation. If for a small end terrace it is to this value a house requiring full renovation must be a considerable amount.
    Please do not respond to any further communication from them regarding this as I am not paying for anything.

Many thanks

Well done. You now look like a bit silly/childish to the person who helped you sell your home. The solicitor also tried to do you a favour by having them take anything off the bill that is not applicable before coming to you with it. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is debatable but they still tried to help, I am guessing after you quoting hamlet and ending it sounding like a kid, that help will probably be thin on the ground going forward.

Just a simple thanks for informing me, please can you advise the couple you do not believe the costs are valid and so will not be paying nor replying to further correspondence and thanking your solicitor would have been a lot better (in my opinion).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Blimey, I've been in my house just over a year now and I've just about got there with the decorating all bar one room - maybe I should present the previous owner with a bill as well?

It'd be hard though as she's dead now.

It's probably in the worst possible taste but this made me laugh so much I spat my coffee out...:rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    It's probably in the worst possible taste but this made me laugh so much I spat my coffee out...:rotfl:
    Careful, Bertie, you'll get a cleaning bill.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brilliant!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    You'll have to take me to court, y'know.
  • Ben1989
    Ben1989 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Tell then you'll pay, but you'll be reimbursed for this in the sale of all the white goods in the property that you left for them.
  • lees80
    lees80 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The easiest response to this would've been to tell your solicitor not to act and end all correspondence. The transaction is complete - nothing else to discuss.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Does your buyer realise they've BOUGHT the house...? Maybe they think you're their landlord and just charge really, really expensive rent? :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport