PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! £500 Bill for cleaning post sale of property

Options

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caveat Emptor
    Caveat emptor (/ˈɛmptɔːr/; from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavēre, "to beware" + ēmptor, "buyer") is Latin for "Let the buyer beware". It has become a proverb in English. Generally, caveat emptor is the contract law principle that controls the sale of real property after the date of closing, but may also apply to sales of other goods. The phrase caveat emptor and its use as a disclaimer of warranties arise from the fact that buyers typically have less information than the seller about the good or service they are purchasing. This quality of the situation is known as 'information asymmetry'. Defects in the good or service may be hidden from the buyer, and only known to the seller.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    This is how tenants feel I would imagine
  • MattWoodmead
    Options

Just happened to me when I moved out of a rented place, even though I left it cleaner than when I arrived. I ignored that too. There was nothing that they could claim was beyond fair wear and tear and I had photos to prove it.
  • EHomer
    EHomer Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Hi all
    emailed solicitor saying would be loging a complaint as they spoke to them without my consent and I won't be paying anything well she's quoted it below so see below. Haha
    Dishwasher and oven were in paperwork as being left and fully agreed prior to leaving them.

The response;
    Good Morning
    Thank you for your email. I am sorry that you feel that way.
    The original email from the buyer was unclear as to what exactly was required. I merely went back to them for clarity in respect of what they were asking. I forwarded on their comments with exact requirements as soon as received so I do not feel that this has in anyway caused any additonal issues.

Should you decide not to correspond with the buyer in regards to the issues then it would be their decision whether or not they believed they had a case through a small claims court.
    I do not however wish to go back to them further without clarification on your response as do not want to cause any undue upset to yourself. Please therefore confirm if you are happy for me to provide your comments that:
    The house was left in a condition commensurate with their viewing. I offered for them to come view the property on Sunday 8th September whilst I was there cleaning it as I had moved everything out on the 7th. I lived in the property prior to this so unsure how it needed to be made suitable for living.
    The dishwasher and oven was also left for no additonal charge
    I am not responsible for any redecorating they wanted to do. This is not a tenancy this is a house sale.
    I will not be paying anything including any fees for you entertaining this claim or contacting their solicitor when you were not authorised to do so. I will not be responding to anything further from yourself or their solicitors.
    Please let me know if you would like me to pass on the above or if you would like to amend the comments.

Regards
    Crappy solicitor
  • gardian8
    gardian8 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pesonally would just refer them to the answer given in Arkell -v- Pressdram

Never heard of that before but glad I googled it :rotfl::rotfl:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EHomer wrote: »
    Hi all
    emailed solicitor saying would be loging a complaint as they spoke to them without my consent and I won't be paying anything well she's quoted it below so see below. Haha
    Dishwasher and oven were in paperwork as being left and fully agreed prior to leaving them.
    Personally I'd instruct you solicitor not to respond, but to forward any further communication from them to you for your consideration.
  • EHomer
    EHomer Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Just happened to me when I moved out of a rented place, even though I left it cleaner than when I arrived. I ignored that too. There was nothing that they could claim was beyond fair wear and tear and I had photos to prove it.

That's the thing if it was tenancy fair enough. But they bought the house and when viewing it told us they already planned to redecorate.
    Sorry it happened to you too though.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure your solicitor is a solicitor? The composition of the letter she intends to write looks like it was drafted by a layman. I'd be very disappointed if my solicitor were to send a letter in that format.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, I would cut the response (if any) down to
    The house was left in a condition commensurate with their viewing.I will not be paying anything

After that I would not enter any further dialogue on the subject.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

This, They clearly rented too long and now think they can treat you like they were treated, they must have tennant ptsd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure