Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    UN17ED wrote: »
    It was sprayed at the self service tills.

Once went into my local supermarket at close of day.
    The poor lady on the self scan was expected to cash up the cigarette kiosk nearby, clean all the tills ( hence the spray) and serve any customers ringing for help and put some stock out.They were running round like a headless chicken.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why does she have to go in every day? I do understand that this may be due to her OCD

It would be easier if she could do a weekly shop. Then you could arrange a time with the manager. It is going to be harder for Sainsburys to be accommodating every day.

If I am honest I can see both sides of this. I realise how difficult this is for you and your daughter. On the other hand I think you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations of Sainsburys. I particularly agree with the comments about your daughter wiping the food and then putting it back on the shelves. That would put me off, as another customer, if I saw it.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A few things

After being cleaned by your daughter the food products cannot be sold, so whether she wants it in the end or not, if she has cleaned it she needs to pay for it. As in reality by cleaning goods she has damaged them. The only time this wouldn't be the case is when the cleaning product complies with cossh and a member of staff watches to ensure she is only using that product.

Staff are paid to work, if an area needs cleaning it needs cleaning, if the staff wait everyone will be at work past 10pm catching up for zero pay. That isn't reasonable.

A cousin has OCD (he has improved slightly in the last few years), we never ever followed any requests as if we did we are confirming his fear and thus making that particular fear worse. He washes all of his food in dilute bleach unless it comes in a sealed bag e.g no air holes in the bag. He also cannot sit in his own living room as he would ruin the stripes he vacuums into the carpets. He was on obsessive compulsive cleaners a few years ago.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    A few things

After being cleaned by your daughter the food products cannot be sold, so whether she wants it in the end or not, if she has cleaned it she needs to pay for it. As in reality by cleaning goods she has damaged them. The only time this wouldn't be the case is when the cleaning product complies with cossh and a member of staff watches to ensure she is only using that product.

Staff are paid to work, if an area needs cleaning it needs cleaning, if the staff wait everyone will be at work past 10pm catching up for zero pay. That isn't reasonable.
    I certainly wouldn't want to buy an item that someone has picked up and used some unknown (to me) cleaning wipe on.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't want to buy an item that someone has picked up and used some unknown (to me) cleaning wipe on.

I’m allergic to savlon and some wipes may contain that for all I know.
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sainsbury's would ban anyone (with or without a disability) who behaved the way the daughter does so there is no discrimination.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    UN17ED wrote: »
    No I didn't see your post as criticism, it was completely unfair, yes it was worrying that she wouldn't eat, it greatly affected us as a family and with help from the GP we got her through it.

Just to point out but earlier on you said "and the help or should I say complete lack of from mental health is appalling just like the rest of the nhs."

Correct me if I'm wrong like, but isn't your local GP part of the NHS service?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    It’s the seven days without eating which I find implausible.

The daughter would be ill!

Not really, I've went 2 weeks without eating before - lost around a stone and didn't have as much energy as I usually do but other than that, I was perfectly fine. If you were severely underweight to start with it may cause serious issues though.

In fact quite a few well known diets work by basically eating nothing more than shakes and soups filled with vitamins and appetite suppressants which produce a similar effect (although granted not as severe) on the body and those are usually done in 12 week stints.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Not really, I've went 2 weeks without eating before - lost around a stone and didn't have as much energy as I usually do but other than that, I was perfectly fine. If you were severely underweight to start with it may cause serious issues though.

In fact quite a few well known diets work by basically eating nothing more than shakes and soups filled with vitamins and appetite suppressants which produce a similar effect (although granted not as severe) on the body and those are usually done in 12 week stints.

If you ate NOTHING for two full weeks you would be very ill and then at risk of refeeding syndrome when you started to eat again, which is potentially fatal.

So I don't believe you.
  • hollydays
    Options

I’m not sure this is a good thing to admit to on the net.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure