Badge Ceiling?

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    Really interesting you mention Dacia. The new Duster is worlds apart from the previous one although the price is still low - maybe its the sweet spot with Dacia at the mo? Whenever I mention Dacia Dusters they get generally get rubbished by people going on about plastic, forgetting they now have the same engine as Renault/Nissan/Daimler group (inc a 150BHP one), so this does seem to be a hangover as per Skoda?

I suspect people think Skoda/Seat/Dacia = cheap, so they just pay the price, without realising that they are actually buying a low spec VW/Renault for low spec VW/Renault money, with a Skoda/Dacia badge.

As soon as you move away from the headline poverty spec. car (which is normally very hard to get hold of) they are the same spec. and the same price as their sister brands.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Are E46 M3s really investment territory nowadays?

I had one years ago, and the engine was something really special, but I’m really surprised if they’re appreciating.
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    Im a Skoda Superb owner (again) and laugh at badge snobs...

ive got A3 legroom and MORE legroom than an Eclass merc and i get 55mpg....

and its cheaper to service and repair than either
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are E46 M3s really investment territory nowadays?

I had one years ago, and the engine was something really special, but I’m really surprised if they’re appreciating.

Yes and no, Yes if you keep it for a long time but for me i have always wanted one ever since i drove my mates a few years ago, i use mine on the weekends really and intend of keeping it for a good while if it goes up in price great if not im not to fussed as it more of a toy, i wish i had the csl but they are now doing silly money.
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afraid I'm both a badge snob and a dinosaur and wouldn't buy a Skoda for that kind of money as I still consider them a semi-budget brand. You'd get a seriously good second hand Audi / BMW for that kind of money I guess.
    It would be interesting to know what younger people think though (say under 30s) - those who have grown up NOT knowing Skoda as a very budget brand but as a serious rally team.

I'm 37, I grew up with the jokes of Skoda / Lada being junk. When I was getting a new car 4 years ago I was looking at ex-demo and tried a VRS (the saloon one) and thought it was decent enough, wasn't sold on the acceleration nonsense the guy was pushing (I assume he thought I wanted a racer) and ended up getting a new car elsewhere on 0% finance which was more suited for my needs. Have a friend who had the VRS estate and he really liked it. I wouldn't pay £43k for a car period though
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    When I was getting a new car 4 years ago I was looking at ex-demo and tried a VRS (the saloon one)
    Octavia?

and thought it was decent enough, wasn't sold on the acceleration nonsense the guy was pushing (I assume he thought I wanted a racer)
    So, umm, if you didn't want the "fast" version, why were you even looking at a VRS?

More expensive, harsher suspension, more expensive tyres, more likely to suffer pothole and kerbing damage, more likely to be nicked... all for being a little bit quicker than other Octavias.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Octavia?

So, umm, if you didn't want the "fast" version, why were you even looking at a VRS?

More expensive, harsher suspension, more expensive tyres, more likely to suffer pothole and kerbing damage, more likely to be nicked... all for being a little bit quicker than other Octavias.

Well reading the post, I got it that the salesman did what many salesmen do and made an assumption about the poster, and showed him what he thought Nasqueron wanted. It's not that out of touch to see what the salesperson suggests to gauge their credibility.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I'm old enough to remember all the old Skoda jokes; pre VW takeover days:
    1. How do you double the price of a skoda?
    Fill up the tank

2. Why do skodas have heated rear windscreens?
    To keep your hands warm while your pushing it.

3. Have you got a wing mirror for a skoda?
    Okay, seems like a fair swap

4. What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ?
    A Dreamer

5. How do you double the value of a skoda?
    Chuck a penny in it.

6. What do you call a Skoda with a sun roof ?
    A skip

etc. etc.
    Plenty of other cars I'd rather buy than a Skoda although I do understand they have improved since those days.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I remember going to Prague in the early 80s when it was very much in the Eastern bloc. There was a motor factor type shop at the end of the road. In the window was every part you could imagine for a Skoda. Everyone drove a Skoda. If one broke down all the men would crowd round to fix it. It encouraged me to buy common cars with good parts availability.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm old enough to remember all the old Skoda jokes; pre VW takeover days:
    1. How do you double the price of a skoda?
    Fill up the tank

2. Why do skodas have heated rear windscreens?
    To keep your hands warm while your pushing it.

3. Have you got a wing mirror for a skoda?
    Okay, seems like a fair swap

4. What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ?
    A Dreamer

5. How do you double the value of a skoda?
    Chuck a penny in it.

6. What do you call a Skoda with a sun roof ?
    A skip

etc. etc.
    Plenty of other cars I'd rather buy than a Skoda although I do understand they have improved since those days.

What's the difference between a Skoda and Kylie Minogue's bra?

(Answer probably not printable here, but I'm sure some of you will remember it)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure