Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Options

Comments

• ajd279
    ajd279 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am going to (not northern) Cyprus on holiday. I have a mobile contract with Vodafone so I'll be able to roam free for calls/texts. However the wifi at the hotel is only available in the public areas, but I would like good wifi access in the bedroom (and round the pool) and not pay the extortionate hotel prices for their data. I have bought a Huawei e5573 (locked to Three) from eBay. I understand that Three have got a very generous all you can eat plan - but are there any pitfalls in doing it this way? I'm happy to buy a very large GB allowance - I just don't want to be saddled with a year's contract!!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ajd279 wrote: »
    I am going to (not northern) Cyprus on holiday. I have a mobile contract with Vodafone so I'll be able to roam free for calls/texts. However the wifi at the hotel is only available in the public areas, but I would like good wifi access in the bedroom (and round the pool) and not pay the extortionate hotel prices for their data. I have bought a Huawei e5573 (locked to Three) from eBay. I understand that Three have got a very generous all you can eat plan - but are there any pitfalls in doing it this way? I'm happy to buy a very large GB allowance - I just don't want to be saddled with a year's contract!!

Look at either payg with data bundles or a SIM only contract with one month term and notice.

Check data bundles are for use in that device, not only for a phone with tethering not allowed

You aren't limited to using Three. You can find vendors on eBay who can sell a Huawei unlock code for about a quid. Check feedback when choosing.
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Off to the US for 3 weeks and I want to have data available on at least one of our mobile phones during the trip. Fully aware using a phone abroad isn't everyone's cup of tea but I would like it for various reasons including money saving.

I used Three feel at home last year and the fact it is maximum 3G made it quite difficult to use at times and the coverage was spotty even in busy areas.

Are there any other viable alternatives? Happy to buy something now or when I get there. The T-Mobile tourist SIM looked good until I saw that it drops down to 2G after your first 2GB of usage!
  • Alyboy
    Alyboy Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I am shortly going on holiday to the USA (Monday, July 2nd) My Mobile is with EE, my wife with Three

While we are in USA we will want to phone USA numbers (Uber, Campsites, attractions etc) I can see that Three is the best deal for USA to UK but it looks like it charges Uk International call rates for USA numbers) I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel. Does anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get the tmobile tourist plan/sim.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/marketing-module/prepaid_international_tourist_plan.html
    Alyboy wrote: »
    Hi, I am shortly going on holiday to the USA (Monday, July 2nd) My Mobile is with EE, my wife with Three

While we are in USA we will want to phone USA numbers (Uber, Campsites, attractions etc) I can see that Three is the best deal for USA to UK but it looks like it charges Uk International call rates for USA numbers) I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel. Does anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your 3 mobile doesn't include roaming in the US you could get a 3 PAYG sim and top it up ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel.
    Phone Uber..? Use the app, on airport Wi-Fi or the Three 'Feel at Home' data.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Samantha_EE
    Samantha_EE Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
    Options

Thanks

Hi Alyboy.

EE max plans allow you to call while in the US to US numbers at no extra cost.

Have a quick chat with our customer service team to see what plan you're currently on and if we can move you to a max plan :)

You can speak with our team by calling 150 from your EE mobile or use our live web chat team. You can find the contact information and live chat links here:

https://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

Just expand the EE section on that page. Hope you enjoy your holidays :D

Thanks Sam
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spam reported
  • JonathanR
    Options
    I know there have been many international Phone Roaming horror stories, but I wonder if you can help us or point us in the right direction…

We have one phone on EE and one with Vodafone.

We travelled to Tenerife (Spain) in the summer and both providers confirmed that we were in Europe. Vodafone and EE automatically advised us that all the data/texts/calls would come out of the UK allowance as we were in the EU (Vodafone calls it a a roam-free destination).

A few days later we travelled to Israel. Vodafone send a message saying that we were in a “roam further” area and could access data/texts/calls from my UK plan for £6 per day – you only pay on the days you use the phone.

We didn’t have to do anything and it would be taken automatically.

EE, however, sent 2 text messages:

The first was to advise that the UK data allowance would be available as we had a Travel Data Pass:
    Welcome to Israel. You have a Travel Data Pass you get 150MB data for £6.00 per day while you're here. You'll only be charged on days you use data so no need to remove it when you're back in the UK. Click add-on.ee.co.uk/traveldata for more details.
    Then we received a 2nd text
    Hi again. While you're here costs include
    Calls: £1.80/min to make & £1.80/min to receive.
    Texts: 60p to send
    Picture Message: 50p to send

Call +447953966250 for Customer Services (£1.80/min) & 112 in case of emergency. Have a good trip!

Text 1 reassures us that we are on the best option and that we didn’t have to do anything to get this bundle.

Text 2 simply advises what the rates are – for those not on a bundle – and we assumed that we would be automatically put on a bundle, especially as that is what Vodafone does.

HOWEVER, there was no mention of us needing to go to the website and select an add-on which for £10 per month I could get 60 call minutes and for £6 per month I could get 100 text messages.

So we were charged £399 for our calls and texts without realising.

We called EE and complained that we had been misled; that we expected to be advised to buy an add-on, just like they had advised us about the Travel Data Pass. We complained: why with data do you let us know about the option to buy and cap the data usage, but with calls/texts they do not make us aware that for just £16 in that month we could have avoided a charge of nearly £400 which they happily allowed us to spend.

They countered that it was up to us to call EE before we went abroad (why do that when they automatically text you anyway on arrival?); we should have used the EE App (which we did not have – but no-one advised us); and that they had made us aware of the charges so we were responsible for them (but they do not cap charges like they do data, so it is misleading – and they didn’t make us aware of the add-on options which is unfair and misleading).

I spoke to 1 customer service agent, 1 manager, and they referred to one more senior Executive. In the end they offered to refund 50% of the bill, but I am still nearly £200 out of pocket. I said that was insufficient, and they said they would not increase it; they would hold this offer for 2 weeks; if we refused it, it would be regarded as “Deadlock”, the offer would be withdrawn, and we could take it up with the Ombudsman.

Does anyone have experience with the Ombudsman? Would we stand a better chance with them, or should we cut our losses and accept the £200 gesture?

Advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Jonathan
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family