Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• SallySunshine
    Options
    Give the tax office a ring, sometimes a reminder hurries things up, it did in my case.:)

Just make sure you have NI no. handy for reference.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Tales17

According to gov.uk tax refunds are normally issued by end of September not July but as SallySunshine says no harm in phoning (probably need dad to speak to advisor first as it's not your tax you're discussing) and you can check the hmrc have everything they need to sort last year's refund.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay
  • assured
    assured Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    If you wife cancels the transfer it will be cancelled from the end of this tax year.

You cannot backdate the cancellation to 6 April 2016.

You wont get stung with a tax demand. Your wife's code number will be restricted until the end of the current year and you will have the extra allowance until then, unless your level of income prevents the transfer.

Thanks @sheramber and @darksparkle. That did the trick. Shows how much I still need to learn about these things. :)
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    assured wrote: »
    Thanks @sheramber and @darksparkle. That did the trick. Shows how much I still need to learn about these things. :)

I only knew because that's what it says on the website! Glad you got it sorted.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    assured wrote: »

Google is your friend

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/how-it-works
  • Thrifty-saver
    Options
    I also applied for Married Tax Allowance & rec'd e-mail stating been accepted. That was end of April 2016.At end of June hadn't rec'd chq.for last tax year so rang HMRC & told would get it by end of July.Like you still waiting.
    Rang again today & after over 20 mins my husband was told he's get a form sent to say how it would be paid, but then they wanted to know how much income he was getting this tax year, in spite of his Tax Code being changed back in April.
    I bet if we owed HMRC £212 they wouldn't wait over 4 months for it!!

They are an absolute joke!!!
  • Thrifty-saver
    Options
    Just spent over 20 mins.on phone as still waiting for a chq for 2015/16 although was told in June would be rec'd by July.Now my husband's been told they'll send a calculation form & advise him how they will pay it, although they asked on phone how he wanted it paid.
    Absolute joke with HMRC.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do HMRC not note in a persons tax file that the Marriage Allowance has been applied for and authorised?

I applied way back when it was first introduced to transfer allowance to my husband and this was done for TY 15/16, the extra allowance was added to my husband's tax code. It is in his 16/17 code too.

I have to submit an R40 to reclaim some tax on interest etc every year, I did my 15/16 one a few weeks back, When I got the refund calculation, they had still awarded me the full PA, no mention of the allowance being reduced.

( This did not make any difference to the refund as I was well below even the reduced allowance anyway.)

My husband also submitted his tax return around the same time, he noted in the "additional information" box that I had transferred allowance to him, giving my name and NI number, so hopefully that will mean his tax will be calculated correctly.

I was surprised that a year on HMRC did not seem to be aware, when looking at my tax, that I should now have a reduced allowance.
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2016 at 3:24PM
    Options
    My experience of Marriage Allowance is as follows.

1. Looked it up on HMRC website, couldn't do online bc of lack of bits of ID.
    2. Called HMRC and although I couldn't remember my NI number completely, calltaker found me and did the claim.
    3. She asked me to get husband to call so he did. He couldn't get through.
    4. I called back and was told it was sorted.
    5. P800 arrived with what looked like out of date incorrect working out. I laboriously went through it all and found out that end sum was correct.
    5. It looks like if you're on a tax restriction they just reduce this, you don't get any money.

HR at company husband works for puts records on secure system (hopefully) online. You log into website of outsourced HR provider and can see own records.

It says that he's due a pay rise on 15/09/16 (not automatic) which would put him into the 40% tax rate by £38.

He would only pay 40% on that £38 but I am guessing he would lose out on marriage allowance then ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gnocchi wrote: »
    My experience of Marriage Allowance is as follows.

1. Looked it up on HMRC website, couldn't do online bc of lack of bits of ID.
    2. Called HMRC and although I couldn't remember my NI number completely, calltaker found me and did the claim.
    3. She asked me to get husband to call so he did. He couldn't get through.
    4. I called back and was told it was sorted.
    5. P800 arrived with what looked like out of date incorrect working out. I laboriously went through it all and found out that end sum was correct.
    5. It looks like if you're on a tax restriction they just reduce this, you don't get any money.

HR at company husband works for puts records on secure system (hopefully) online. You log into website of outsourced HR provider and can see own records.

It says that he's due a pay rise on 15/09/16 (not automatic) which would put him into the 40% tax rate by £38.

He would only pay 40% on that £38 but I am guessing he would lose out on marriage allowance then ?

You will need to advise HMRC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure