Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been a while since I've done this as I've been pretty lucky as me and the missus both had separate Sky accounts so there was always a decent offer on one or the other.

She's had a 60% off offer that runs until the end of the month so I'm thinking of cancelling mine now (there will be a slight overlap) as my 60% off deal finishes in about 6 weeks anyway.

I'm guessing I'm not going to get 60% off the bat for my existing account but that would be easier than reactivating hers. Anyone got a mega-deal as soon as they've cancelled or is that consigned to the history books now?
  • snnl
    snnl Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hey I have a question, and was wondering a couple of things! Ive seen across the internet to play hardball to get the best deals for retention. How true is this? Do you get the 50, 60 and 75% off I've seen floating around?

I ask because our Sky is way out of contract. We are paying £82.50pm currently. We get all the usual channels, box sets, plus Sky Cinema (discounted). With line rental and unlimited broadband included too (although internet is crap). Nothing special really and is rather expensive for what we get!

Went on live chat to see what they would do and they 'did their best' and offered me the same package, with sky sports and fibre added in for £62pm. To me this is still rather pricey so i held firm and and said it was still too expensive/virgin do a better deal - what can they do etc and to cut the story short. Nothing!

So i casually went along with it and said go ahead cancel it and thats that. Now in my account I've already seen a 30% off if I stay (but i think thats what he offered on the chat if not worse), are they going to up this? Maybe call me with better and tempt me to stay? What can I expect.

In an idea world I'd love fibre broadband, with all the channels (Q if it was possible) for as cheap as possible. Not bothered by land line as we never call anyone and we use mobiles for everything

31 days until its all gone! Thank you in advance!
  • gazbeer
    Options
    I'm 10 days away from my notice period being complete.

The first offer was 30% off my TV, had another conversation with them last night and apparently 'exclusively' for me it's now 40%.

Holding out for 50% and i'll be happy.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    snnl wrote: »
    Hey I have a question, and was wondering a couple of things! Ive seen across the internet to play hardball to get the best deals for retention. How true is this? Do you get the 50, 60 and 75% off I've seen floating around?

Indeed the stories are true. I used to get about 50% off, but late in 2016 let my tv service go off, after refusing 50% again.

A few weeks later someone posted that she had seen an offer of 75% off with £100 credit whish was only showing on the 'left in last 12 months' area of My Sky . A number of us checked and were given the offer with others accepting 60% without letting their service go off.

This used to be a regular occurrence though 75% and a large credit were very unusual. It meant that I had boxed sets and cinema free for all but the last couple of months, where I paid £14 (credit and residue in account used up).

This time 50% was offered at the time of cancellation, followed by the same offer by letter.It then dropped to30% (nothing unusualto this point) but instead of an improvement, even the 30% vanished on all contacts,with a note saying nothing could be offered online,so call, but as 50% seems a lot compared to before there is no point in bothering....and the only thing I'm missing is the smooth catchup, demand record situation; not the programmes.
  • Weave
    Weave Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 12 months contract for TV with movies, box sets and two Sky + boxes has just ended at a price of £34 pm. I was on a 60% discount after cancelling last time and getting this 60% offer via the TV messaging service.

I have just called to negotiate and they initially offered £57 pm and then £40 pm which she said was 50% off so they are doing 50% quite easily at the moment. I didn't have to work hard to get that offer from the retentions department.

I have cancelled for now and will see if any better offers appear on my TV this time. Holding out for 60% again.
  • Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    I said I'd update with 'offers' following my cancellation.

For reference :
    I'm two weeks into my 30 day notice period.
    I'm with Sky only for tv, I have everything except multi-room and it's Sky HD+
    I've been paying around £32 a month on a no contract deal. They messed up my billing back in August so that figure is an average over the last 12 months.

Offer on my Sky box and in My Sky is 30% discount.
    Had a letter in the post yesterday offering 50% off .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dawning wrote: »
    I said I'd update with 'offers' following my cancellation.

For reference :
    I'm two weeks into my 30 day notice period.
    I'm with Sky only for tv, I have everything except multi-room and it's Sky HD+
    I've been paying around £32 a month on a no contract deal. They messed up my billing back in August so that figure is an average over the last 12 months.

Offer on my Sky box and in My Sky is 30% discount.
    Had a letter in the post yesterday offering 50% off .

Ignore the Sky box and the My Sky account offers, they always seem to be 30% regardless and will probably remain at that level even if you re-subscribe.

There was a little piece on Sky ditching the dish on the BBC this morning which had an interesting little snippet about discounting:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42815603
    Sky said the fall was a result of more customers taking its premium Sky Q box and a more disciplined and targeted approach to discounting.

They also mentioned:-
    A new USB stick will allow customers to watch Now TV content on any television - including EU countries when an expected change to "geoblocking" rules comes into effect this summer.

An end to the NowTV box maybe?
  • Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options

There was a little piece on Sky ditching the dish on the BBC this morning which had an interesting little snippet about discounting:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42815603

Very interesting about the dish being ditched.
    In my previous house I would lose signal every time it rained heavily. Sky sent two engineers out over the course of a year to try to reposition the dish but unfortunately the dish couldn't be relocated to a better, less exposed place.
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 January 2018 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Sky offered me £50.30 a month

Sky Q 2TB
    Sky Q Mini Box
    Sky Sports HD
    Sky Boxsets Bundle
    £115 Install price

Gonna ring again & use my mates discount code and see what i can get
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GTR_King wrote: »
    Sky offered me £50.30 a month

Sky Q 2TB
    Sky Q Mini Box
    Sky Sports HD
    Sky Boxsets Bundle
    £115 Install price

Gonna ring again & use my mates discount code and see what i can get
    If it's a discount where the referrer and the subscriber both get some cashback,the offer to youis likely to be less as they have topay the referrer,too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback