Debt Demolisher

Options

Comments

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 July 2019 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Just received 2 letters regarding our 2 Barclaycard debts. They are both being transferred over to PRA which also own 2 of our other cards. They have been amazingly supportive and have given us no stress whatsoever. However, this does mean that they have bought the debts at probably a massive reduction so therefore should/maybe be open to offers in the future :)

My understanding is that PRA would've bought the debts for peanuts so here's hoping.

I need a boost as I'm slowly starting to feel :( a little.

Edit to add: Not too sure if they have actually bought the debts now lol. The letters say transferring the debts so I've asked over on the DMP thread as the advice I've received over there has never seen me wrong.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • motivated
    Options
    Talking of PRA they have just offered me a reduced settlement figure on one of our smaller debts. £4585 and they have offered £2522 over 6 months. I emailed back politely declining £420 per month :eek:

I counter offered and will wait to see what they say. I bet they're still laughing :rotfl: Well you never know. No harm in asking
    M
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you're ok as you seem a bit deflated ... remember the teaspoon and lake :)
  • motivated
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Hope you're ok as you seem a bit deflated ... remember the teaspoon and lake :)

Thanks debtaghh

You know what it’s like with the ups and downs :). I’m still paddling my little dingy and need to give it a pump up :rotfl:

Hope your well and doing ok
    M
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I know exactly what it's like. I'm feeling deflated too. Can we not get a bigger tea spoon.... table spoon ? :)
  • motivated
    edited 19 July 2019 at 12:01PM
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I know exactly what it's like. I'm feeling deflated too. Can we not get a bigger tea spoon.... table spoon ? :)

:rotfl: if only eh

I've just been on the phone to one of my DCAs for a financial review. They are so lovely and supportive it's unreal.

I cheekily tried to get a F&F settlement offer, they refused as it was far too low for our 2 biggest debts. They considered it at least and at least i know they're open to negotiation.

Just been refused another one from another DCAs and again they are open to negotiation. Will plod along and try again in another 6 months. You never know.

After getting off the phone to them and going through my financial situation I feel a lot more positive :) Considering a couple of years back I was petrified and thinking all sorts like big burly men crashing through my front door, bailiffs taking my stuff away, the whole world knowing about our mess etc. I wouldn't of dreamed of speaking to them on the phone but now I'm like :D. They can't be more helpful and non judgemental to be honest. Go me!

I'm trying to not think of the bigger picture (again) and focusing on one debt at a time and working with the DCAs to put an end to all this sooner than originally forecast. Even if I manage to clear one debt by Xmas will be amazing.
    M
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Glad to hear that you're feeling positive x
  • motivated
    edited 12 August 2019 at 9:38AM
    Options
    :hello: Morning diary world

Again I've not been updating regularly (smacks wrist).

Thoroughly enjoying the holidays from work. Garden is 90% done and all very budget friendly. Lots of bark which is low maintenance and inexpensive. Have a section of the garden where all the I have nowhere to store this goes. DH wants an extra large new shed, but our current one has at least another year in it. Will put that idea on the back burner for now.

Received 2 letters from BC stating that they have also sold our 2 debts to a DCA. I know that these companies buy the debts for a massive reduction and so will be open to offers as time goes on. At least I know that no interest or charges can be added now and whatever we pay will reduce the overall total.

I have to admit that my food spends have been a little haywire lately. Going over £10 or £20 here and there. This all adds up and I need to reign this one in as I've stupidly been going without a list. Then I return with things that we didn't really want or need :mad:
    I must write everything down before I go and stick to my shopping list in future. Took my eye off the ball recently on this one.

Looking forward to payday this week so I can play the shift money around game lol. Even if it's 20p I like rounding down accounts and moving the odd pennies to a different pot. My bank must think what on earth is this woman doing :rotfl:

Had strong words/discussions with DH this week. He is slowly becoming flippant with money again. Decided to sort it out like adults and resolved the issue promptly :rotfl: We have opened an online account for him which is literally pay for something on card or withdraw from an ATM. We've arranged a SO to be paid into it every month. This will be his own personal spends and then he will need to budget it and make it last. Very childish I know but needs must and all that. He actually thinks it's a good idea and therefore will not need to dip into the bank account.

Other than that hiccup we're still plodding and emptying our lake with a teaspoon. Looking forward to when I can upgrade to a dessert spoon
    On the excitement of being able to have a bigger spoon :rotfl:
    M
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I visited a garden that had been restored, recently. They had dug out the plants that didn't fit in with the new plan and made some big 'stock' beds to save them. I really like the idea of stock beds, which sounds like that bit of your garden where you store plants without a permanent home. My not-yet-homed plants are in pots in a big melee by the kitchen door so perhaps I need to work towards something like this.

That sounds like good news on the debt repayment front. Anything that reduces repayment has to help! That desert spoon may be in use sooner than you think!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • motivated
    Options
    Hi Cherry and thank you.

I like the idea of the stock beds. I will definitely think about that one. As for the spoon I hope it's not too far away either :)
    M
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport