Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Welcome back code! Sorry to hear you're suffering from the holiday blues :( and sorry to hear poor DA dog has been poorly too, and the resulting vet bill (You should make the inlaws pay for that food!), and the boiler and trousers. Just what you wanted to come home to....

I always loved sculpting with clay, just the other day, I was thinking of doing an evening class actually....everyone would be getting wonky mugs and vases lol! My writing is terrible too, is blame that on being a leftie as well, and for the same reason, me and fountain pens just do not get on.

Nice idea WW :) I still haven't had one of the new fivers yet.

*sends cookies and chocolate to tea and Izzy*

Off out on my bike again today whilst it's nice, and also trying to fit in as many as possibly before my uncle goes and gets his other knee done on the 1st Nov.
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 10:23AM
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    What's the latest with the company takeover, is it all still on hold?
    Yes, or more "no idea what's going on!" Yesterday some overseas people came over and made an offer, the details of which I don't know. Apparently an American person is coming to talk to the owner later this month as well, so while we've been told to wait with our plans other negotiations are still happening. Hence me being massively stressed about the whole thing.

And as for only being able to do one job, completely understand that. I'm very much aware that my skills while absolutely right for what I'm doing are very much niche / "old school" nowadays and consequently worried about what will happen if I find myself on the job market for the first time since university.

edit - the "feeling of impending doom" has been talked about here quite a bit. That's me all the time at the moment.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Re. the fivers, I heard that they've only been issued to the major cities like London, Manchester, Brum etc., so it might be a while until they filter through to the towns.

I like WW's link to the "give your first new fiver to charity" thing!

Although I was hoping to keep mine as a souvenir! Hopefully, I'll get two at once! :D

Well! I've just learned the difference between sautèing and fricassèeing! (Excuse the Franglais!) (and the grave instead of acute accents,which latter are disgusting swearings according to the swear filter on here! :D)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IzHe got one of the new fivers the other day, they're really weird and don't feel at all like real money. I do like the idea of giving it to charity though.

What is the difference between the two? If I had the slightest idea what was involved in fricasseeing I'd probably have more chance of working it out...
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    IzHe got one of the new fivers the other day, they're really weird and don't feel at all like real money. I do like the idea of giving it to charity though.

What is the difference between the two? If I had the slightest idea what was involved in fricasseeing I'd probably have more chance of working it

Found this quote......
    Julia Child in Mastering the Art of French Cooking describes it as "halfway between a sautè and a stew" in that a sautè has no liquid added, while a stew includes liquid from the beginning. In a fricassee, cut-up meat is first sauteed (but not browned), then liquid is added and it is simmered to finish cooking."

It made me realise that some of my stir-fries are sautès, while others are really fricassèes, because I might add a bit of liquid to get a sauce effect!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2016 at 6:14PM
    Options
    I haven't seen a new fiver yet. In fact, I don't think I've had a five pound note in ages.

In happy news - the boiler decided to pressurise overnight so no need to call someone just yet. Also I ordered a cape for my costume as I will be wearing it in October. It arrived today and I want to wear it always. I can swish it, I can loop it round my arm and pretend I'm a vampire, I can wrap myself in it, I can put the hood up and be mysterious. Mr CP thinks I'm nuts.

On the other side of the coin is work wear. I start my new job next week and I go from an office where I pretty much live in jeans and wrestling t-shirts to a smarter one so I've had to buy all new clothes. My old workplace was so causal I have no idea what people wear to work. I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe. I'm keen to use this change to break free of the boring clothes rut I was in and be a bit different but it's really difficult to work out who I want to be. :rotfl: Help, office people.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    What happened to the Squid?

Was it you Code? Aaaargh! My memory! Who was going to a ball as Squidzilla or whatever she was called?

Sorry! My brain's full of Black IPA,! :eek:

Well! I've just been trying some Bucks Fizz flavoured crisps! I was intrigued, so had to buy some! (It's ok, it's a legitimate eating day! Fast day is tomorrow!)

They're weird, though!

Nice textured crisps, cooked with the skins on, with a very, very slight fizz, and a bit of an orange flavour.

Not too sure about the orange, to be honest. It might have been better if it had been a Seville-type orange flavour.
    Not overpowering , though, and with the right food, might be better.
    Otherwise, orange and salt is a weird mixture.

They didn't have my favourite olive-oil crisps, that's why I thought I'd try these!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    Ursula the seawitch. It's not til October but I've been buying bits for a while.

Orange crisps? That doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • Pyxis
    edited 22 September 2016 at 7:44PM
    Options
    codemonkey wrote: »
    Ursula the seawitch. It's not til October but I've been buying bits for a while.

Orange crisps? That doesn't sound like a good idea.

It was you! Sorry to call you Squidzilla! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We need a pic (headless) of you in the costume! Deffo!

Want to see it! stamp!

By the time I'd finished the packet, I was warming towards them. Not as a curled up on the sofa snack, but as a nibble at a party or somesuch they'd be good.

Had to laugh, though, when I looked at the ingredients, 'cos they included dried Champagne! :rotfl:
    Dried Champagne! :rotfl:

Ps. Saw the first C-cake in the shop. :(

On a happier note, I also bought some vodka to stick some of my frozen blackberries into! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure