Independence?

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    jj_5 wrote: »
    sitting at 40-52% in the polls for 2015.

And why not?

Now that independence is off the table for a generation.;)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was 37.9% of the electorate.

So that was an 84% turn out. Sixteen percent showed no interest in the most important vote since 1919. Remarkable.

Here's my interest - I'd £1000 on No, giving £272.72 profit. Kicking myself it wasn't £100,000.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2014 at 8:14PM
    Options
    So that was an 84% turn out. Sixteen percent showed no interest in the most important vote since 1919. Remarkable

While that is true, and probably closer to 90% once prison/hospital/dementia suffferers etc are accounted for, it is a higher voter turnout than at any UK general Election since the war. From memory the 2010 election was only 65%

I await with interest an EU referendum to see how that voter turnout compares.

By the way the referendum result is normally referred to as 55%No - 45% Yes.

I have never seen it referred to as 46.7% No - 37.9% Yes
  • jj_5
    jj_5 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Was it not 34% of electorate? Although of course many of those who didn't vote probably didn't care either way.

Since I'm in NI, nothing directly, except I don't want to have to see the near neighbour as a foreign state. We've enough of that nonsense here. I have to say there were a lot of very odd things said running up to that vote.

Good point, a united Ireland next on the agenda then? ;)
  • jj_5
    jj_5 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    It will be very interesting to see what happens from here, it could be off the table for a generation or equally it could be back on the table in a few years (Tory/UKIP coalition in 2015? EU referendum taking Scotland out against it's wishes-according to current polls anyway)

Could go either way.

I think 60-65% of Scots are 'persuadable'.

I also think the powers mentioned in the Smith Commission seem pointless (unless im misunderstanding). We will be able to set income tax rates but if it results in extra income for us the money is taken off us via the block grant..... What is the point?
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    jj_5 wrote: »
    Good point, a united Ireland next on the agenda then? ;)

Wouldn't think so. I'm against small geographical entities being divided, only to allow extremists to gain power. We need closer alliances across our islands.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    While that is true, and probably closer to 90% once prison/hospital/dementia suffferers etc are accounted for, it is a higher voter turnout than at any UK general Election since the war. From memory the 2010 election was only 65%

I await with interest an EU referendum to see how that voter turnout compares.

By the way the referendum result is normally referred to as 55%No - 45% Yes.

I have never seen it referred to as 46.7% No - 37.9% Yes

It's well known that more people voted in X factor than in that general election. Or so we're told.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport