Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

Options

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peter999 wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais covers this in after life. It's quite funny.

Loved it.

Hope they do more.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was refused in Harvester when I ordered a kids meal, making it clear it was for me. I was told they were only for children.

I then pointed at my son and said then he'll have the kids meal. I then ordered the adult meal he wanted. When the dishes arrived, son and I swapped plates before the server had left our table. Not a word was said.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I often have the kids' meals, unless they state 'for under 12s only' or similar. Their portion sizes often suit me better, and sometimes are still too large - especially kids' packed lunch options!

You could say you were born on 29th feb so that would cover you up to 48 as you will have only had 12 birthdays
  • cheeky-peach
    Options
    My mother has a stomach condition and always prefers a children's meal as it's more suitable for her dietary requirements. She has been refused a few times though despite explaining it was to save wasting food.
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're a paying customer and you can buy whatever you like.

Restaurants are service businesses and in my experience it is rare that they won't accommodate a request of any kind if they can reasonably do it, and that includes selling you a smaller, or children's portion.

If your chosen restaurant refuses your entirely reasonable request, vote with your money and go elsewhere in future (or even cancel your immediate order). Perhaps also leave a customer service review...
    While I agree with your middle sentence, your first and last ones smack of 'entitlement'.

That aside, there is a garden center and cafe near me that until very recently, simply refused to provide 2 spoons with their (very large) desserts. They were very open about it and even had a sign up stating that they would not provide 2 spoons to share desserts with!
  • dobbiesloan
    dobbiesloan Posts: 2,211 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use Greene King, they have a seniors menu that I order from.
    Fish,chip & peas followed by apple pie & custard. Not bad for £4:49.
    GONE ENGLAND
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2019 at 5:16PM
    Options
    You're a paying customer and you can buy whatever you like.

Restaurants are service businesses and in my experience it is rare that they won't accommodate a request of any kind if they can reasonably do it, and that includes selling you a smaller, or children's portion..

Well, paying does not mean you will be exempted from the rule. The rule is there to serve different purposes.

Using the same analogy what about people using school children ticket for traveling ?? Keep in mind children/adult posing as children are still customers.
    If your chosen restaurant refuses your entirely reasonable request, vote with your money and go elsewhere in future (or even cancel your immediate order). Perhaps also leave a customer service review...

Whether a reasonable request or not it is another debate as each restaurant offer a kid meal for different purposes.

Vote with your money is exactly the option that people have and should exercise
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find that the local independents are much more allowing when it comes to childrens meals. within reason

Say a steak is a six ounces, there is no where for them to off load the bit of steak you don't want ( say 2 ounces) unless their menu also makes say like steak sandwiches where the steak can be used

Sunday roast, its usually only the veggie portion that differs

etc

Chains are not so obliging, unless you order of the Childs menu itself and for those choices, well I don't want fishmongers, chips an peas every time I go out
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    Options
    Years ago, I had my last meal at Pizza Hut.
    My wife and I went in and I wasn't feeling that well so ordered a side dish of salad, whilst she had a pizza. We both had diet Cokes.
    About midway into the meal, she asked me if I wanted to try a bit of her pizza and she passed a piece over to me.
    Within seconds the waiter pounced on us, saying that we couldn't do that because I hadn't ordered it, and if I did it again he would ask us to leave.
    I simply said OK and said that I was leaving, and we left having eaten half the food but didn't pay.
    I saw no reason why they should have the right to throw someone out for that and then expect them to pay in full for a meal.
  • sparkermarketing
    Options
    A place near us has a special lunch time menu.

I ordered fish and chips off the "adult lunch menu" (£6.99) my 3 year old ordered fish and chips from the kids menu (£4.99).

He had more food on his small plate than I did on mine (although mine came with a few fancy swirls on the plate). He got an ice cream included in his meal deal too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure