How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IDA we are in debt too but going on holiday for a week. Just instead of a week skiing or a week abroad, it's a week in a self catering cabin in Wales :D

Ours was paid by friends but we still need to find petrol money, food money, spending money and OH will lose money not working for the week (self employed).

The eating in food money will come from my usual food budget and so might see us trying to scrape by for the following month.

But, we haven't had a holiday since our honeymoon and didn't take the kids on that ;)

So we figured this is the cheapest a holiday is likely to get for us and I have 5 years on the DMP so best take the opportunity now ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi IDA,

We're going to Butlins at Bognor week after next, totally not DFW but booked and paid for before I had my LBM. At least we are going half board so I shall encourage everyone to eat till they burst at brekkie so hopefully they might last till the early dinner!! I shall visit the nearest supermarket for snacks and sweets so I don't have to buy the extortionate priced treats in the shop on site. Never been to Bogor or Butlins even so have no idea how my DFW hol is gonna go!

Have a lovely time :D
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • Thanks all for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
    Spud and newly wed - have just had a look at the Snowdon website and will be taking the phone number with me and definately (maybe?) will book ahead, it means a saving of £34 for us!! What about the return journey do you have to pre-book a time?? Plus I understand the train doesn't actually reach the summit, what is the walk to the top like after you get off the train??

Thanks for your advice Julia I'm about to check out Great Orme now. I would happily do nothing and spend nothing on holiday I just love being away, dh thinks we should be doing stuff all the time (it can be very wearing - lol!!), he doesn't do "nothing" very well!!

Thanks once again for the advice - keep it coming!
    IDA
    xx
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • keatergreyhound
    Options
    Theres loads of kids tickets floating around for chester for free entry
    We went in June and had a great time. Just be careful of the bat enclosure. You walk through it and it scared me for some reason and loads of kidies came out crying
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
    Spud and newly wed - have just had a look at the Snowdon website and will be taking the phone number with me and definately (maybe?) will book ahead, it means a saving of £34 for us!! What about the return journey do you have to pre-book a time?? Plus I understand the train doesn't actually reach the summit, what is the walk to the top like after you get off the train??

Thanks for your advice Julia I'm about to check out Great Orme now. I would happily do nothing and spend nothing on holiday I just love being away, dh thinks we should be doing stuff all the time (it can be very wearing - lol!!), he doesn't do "nothing" very well!!

Thanks once again for the advice - keep it coming!
    IDA
    xx

IDA,

The train gets very close to the top, it's only about 15 - 20 yards away, but it is a climb, albeit a short one. Both my kids have done it from being very young so your little one will be OK.

You come down on the same train, you get around 20 minutes at the summit, more than enough time because there isnt much there - just a gift shop and a cafe, I would imagine very expensive, but I've never been in.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • newlywed
    Options
    Just checked where we are staying and it's actually nearer Rhyl (apparently not a particularly nice beach resort and Llandudno is meant to be better).

Also found out this info:
    http://www.gardenartdirect.co.uk/maze.asp Maze near Conway

http://www.greenwoodforestpark.co.uk/rides.html#GiantJumper Forest park
    but over near Bangor

And BBC guide for Wales:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/llandudno/

No idea what any are like but it's good to keep backup ideas ;)
  • newlywed
    Options
    Oh I think the only place I've really stopped at in Wales was on the way to Holyhead we stopped for lunch at the town with the smallest house in the UK - think it was Conway but not sure :confused: Was a lovely town though ;)
  • bekkki1
    bekkki1 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Park resorts nr Rhyl is where I normally go. There was a kwick save just up the road dont know whether this would have closed down now tho. about 5 mins away there is an Asda towards Rhyl and in town only 5 mins away at most is a Tesco i think - could be Morrisons tho!!!

Have you thought about the mountain zoo in colwyn bay. I love the beaches at colwyn they are clean and there are only a couple of shops on the prom so it is relativly (sp?) quiet
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    I don't normally look in here, because I don't have any debts.

Are you people serious about going on holiday whilst owing thousands of pounds to others?

I would have thought a holiday would be the last thing on your minds if you are serious about paying off your debts.

I await the excuses.:rolleyes:

The mind boggles. :confused:
  • bekkki1
    bekkki1 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a beach quite near to the park about a 5 min walk but it is quite pebbley. there is a path way you can walk on tho which is nice.

We always go to colwyn bay beach, Rhyl is 4 miles away, beach there is ok, just the towns not that great
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure