How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Us too jo. Will be trying to persuade DH that we have to fit in at least the first evening meal's food for when we arrive and breakfast next day though - otherwise he will have to go find the shops for milk for his cuppa ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Last year we stopped at the Tesco's right near the holiday camp and we had packed so much stuff into the car that we literally didn't have enough room to fit the shopping bags in. We had to take everything out of the bags and shove it in all over the car wherever we could wedge it! It really would've been easier if I'd dropped them all off and went back to the shop with an empty car!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • newlywed
    I looked at it and though oh if only we could have a caravan to put all the clothes and stuff in then OH could take as much as he wanted ;) The kids could take all their toys and I could fill the boot of the car with food and coolbags :D
  • We've always gone self catering and always taken as much food with us a possible, generally;
    milk, bread, sausages, bacon, eggs, butter, tea,coffee, sugar etc! We did this originally because with few supermarkets the camp shops were always more expensive! Even as kids we went on hols on coach or train (parents don't drive) and my mum always managed to bring the "essentials" don't ask me how?? I would definately recommend squeezing in a cool bag or box of essentials if you can!
    IDA
    x
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • newlywed
    Thanks IDA - that's my plan but don't know who will win the argument (as OH is as stubborn as me) ;)

However... it's about 300 miles with a coolbag - is meat still likely to be ok to eat?
  • pagso
    pagso Posts: 10 Forumite
    Have just returned from a short break at a caravan park and can't believe how much I have spent on meals out - not even very nice ones - think in future would be better to find a full board option as I always underestimate how much meals out are and if i made all the meals myself I don't think it would feel much like a holiday. The only good thing i did was take stuff like tea & coffee and a flask with me so i didn't have to buy them at the beach.
  • jo1972
    newlywed wrote: »
    Thanks IDA - that's my plan but don't know who will win the argument (as OH is as stubborn as me) ;)

However... it's about 300 miles with a coolbag - is meat still likely to be ok to eat?

Do PP's thing and fill a few bottles of water and freeze them and pack that round the meat. Or, not as DFW stylee, buy a few of those blocks you put in the freezer, plastic ice cooler things?
  • They have them in the 99p shop in packs of 2 or 3 I think!
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • newlywed
    Thanks jo - yes I have some of those blocks already ;)

Thanks again PP for that great list - have started my holiday list already (based on yours but with meals changed) and it's not for a few weeks yet - that is usually unheard of!!! :D

As for cooking making it not feel like a holiday - I am opting for easy things like egg and sausage with beans on toast, pasta dishes, pizza and garlic bread. All cheaper than eating out and all easy to make. I don't mind spending half an hour a day cooking things that are easy (and I don't need to follow a recipe for) as we will have a kitchen.

The family we are going with are planning lunches out at places that do cheap kids meals (they have 5 kids), so hopefully it will only be evenings to sort out and maybe sandwiches for lunch if money gets tight ;)
  • jo1972
    If you want to be ridiculously super organised, you could batch cook between now and then, freeze it, shove it in a freezer bag for the journey and have a beautifully prepared meal every night? ;)

Have you got a slow cooker? You could make delicious stews, curries, chilli etc. in absolutely no time at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure