Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!! - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
221 replies 36.9K views

Replies

• jo1972jo1972 Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Yes but some people on this board will not finish paying their debts off for years and years, can't they get a bit of light relief away from the situation (doing it cheaply, we all know how to do that on this board), rather than wallow in it? I presume then that people that have debts but are not dealing with them at all shouldn't even leave the house??
    DFW Nerd no. 496 :cool: - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Oh well, you lot carry on giving each other a ( thanks ) pat on the back, enjoy your holidays, I will leave you all to your extended debt period/s.

Personally I would forego any holiday in order to be out of debt as quickly as possible, obviously you have different values.

Bye...
  • spud30spud30 Forumite
    16.9K posts
    It must be really nice to be so smug.

Quite frankly, until you are in our position, then you have no right to judge.

Enjoy your nice house and 2 cars wont you.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inactive wrote: »
    Oh well, you lot carry on giving each other a ( thanks ) pat on the back, enjoy your holidays, I will leave you all to your extended debt period/s.

Personally I would forego any holiday in order to be out of debt as quickly as possible, obviously you have different values.

Bye...

My holiday will NOT in any way extend my debt period.

Money for food will come from the usual food budget.

OH will pay for everything else. My debt is mine and I do not expect OH to pay MY debts off with his money
    working on clearing the clutter
  • jo1972jo1972 Forumite
    8.9K posts
    I sincerely hope that you never end up in debt, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Plus just so you know, if you are in debt that doesn't mean you have a shoe addiction, sometimes unfortunate circumstances which were not planned for can get you into debt and NOBODY should be complacent.
  • Inactive wrote: »

Bye...

Good for you inactive and as you quite rightly say you are entitled to your opinion - however I think you may find you are actually "judging" those in debt rather than expressing an opinion. You may not mean to but you come across as sanctimonious and self-righteous.
    I believe no-one here planning a holiday intends to increase their debt to pay for it - certainly in our case - this holiday is little more than our usual budget and paid for through hard work, scrimping and saving.

PS: I thanked you for your opinion so you didn't feel left out anymore!
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We go away in a caravan twice a year each for a week. There are 3 of us-myself, OH and 12yr DD. This is what I do:

Google to see what supermarket is local
    Take tinned and non perishable stuff with us
    Mealplan before we go and take the ingredieants that travel ok with us
    Give DD £10 for ice-creams at begining of holiday-gone when its gone!
    Take wine/beer with us
    Do a shop in the googled supermarket when you arrive-freeze a loaf for later in week
    Take a flask with me for coffee when we travel around or go out for the day
    Picnics on the beach or in parks
    Use empty water bottles, refill and freeze to keep sarnies cool
    Google local area before you go to see what FREE attractions there are or contact Tourist information and they will send through post

Here is my list from last holiday:

Holiday

Saturday-Jacket Spud, Ham and salad
    Sunday-Roast Beef, Roasts, carrots, cauli, Yorkshires & gravy
    Monday-Lamb, new spuds and veg
    Tuesday-Chicken, Roasts, veg & yorkshires
    Wednesday-Chicken Curry & Rice
    Thursday-Spagbol
    Friday-Take-away

To Take

Beans x 3, Spagetti, Sweet corn, crisps, biscuits, rice, pasta, soup, jam, marmite, tea towel, cloth, wash liquid, oil, curry sauce, condiments, gravy, squash, loo rolls, matches, coffee, tea, sugar, milk, cereal, wet wipes, noodles, bags for rubbish, peas, beers, wine, tuna, milk, foil, wash powder, cleaning spray, air freshner, vouchers, onion, beef joint,

To Buy

Cheese, ham, eggs, bacon, sausage, butter, yogurts, large chicken, mince, spuds, carrots, cauliflower, apples, bananas, bread, rolls, mushrooms, coleslaw, salad, Yorkshires

Other stuff to take

Bedding, shampoo, dryer, brush, deo, towels, soap, flannel, laptop, films, DS, board games, cards, shaver, tablets, allergy tablets, inhalers, sun cream, nivea

HTH. Obviously, we have a few treats thrown in and if there is a freezer, I will always buy some lollies and ice cream. My treat on holiday is to get a newspaper daily...how sad is that..LOL. Foodwise probably about £30 with the extras then we will eat out once and maybe get a couple of bags of chips on the beach...but normally go for a kids portion of fish and chips or sausage and chips in a cone for £1.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Penny-Pincher!

How very organised of you ;)

Will be using your list idea for our holiday too - thanks! :D

Although we will be limited by what we can fit in the car with two adults, two kids and a husband who likes to bring a lot more clothes and shoes and stuff than me!!! :D
    working on clearing the clutter
  • jo1972jo1972 Forumite
    8.9K posts
    PP, OMG you're good!!

Unfortunately I've got an Astra and got to fit 5 of us in it with all our luggage so don't think I'll be able to fit food in there too...usually the kids have to sit in the back with bags on their laps as it is :o

I'm comfortable, I'm the driver :D

All part of the holiday experience I say :rotfl:
  • Just did a lovely reply and the computer ate it - grrr don't you just hate it when that happens!

The long and the short of it was thanks Pennypincher that was ace! Love your ideas and will meal plan this year and I'm going to roast a joint before I go, chill it and then I have first two days meals and packed lunches - yay!!
    I love this site - keep it coming!!
    IDA
    x

PS: not as good as the original but not much time - sob!!
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!