From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2019 at 11:03PM
    Options
    Thank you Kitten868 and Drawing a Line. I was happy to have my own space too after uni and didn't live at home due to geography.

Today has been quite pleasant. I was at a course but it was held in a place with beautiful gardens, so uplifting to walk around. There were some autumn crocuses in full flower which looked lovely as well as the last of the Japanese anenomes and Verbena Bonariensis moving gently in the breeze. Lunch was provided which was a bonus :).

NSD today which I'm thankful for. I came home and made sausage rolls and some salted caramel muffins. Half term is next week so last day of work for me today :).

DS1 has announced he is going to open a separate account and pay £50 a month into it to pay towards the council tax when he turns 18. When I said it would be better if he paid me direct month by month, there was quite a reaction. I've tried to explain that the cost of living is something that all adults have to bear. He thought because he prefers to eat out he wasn't costing me anything but I pointed out that he uses electricity and water, then I got accused of being picky. Feels like the same type of excuses the ex used :(.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Moneywhizz
    Options
    Good for you dealing with the issue of your children helping to contribute to the house. It does sound like your son is making excuses and really doesn't want to contribute. However given that you have other children to think about it is better to set some patterns now so that those who follow him will accept that this is how things work. I think you do remarkably well with your budget and don't know how you manage to teach, run a house and look after your family. You are a real example to them and it sounds like you have a lovely family.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Thank you Moneywhizz for your kind words.

DD2 had the day off today. Whenever our days off coincide I'm trying to take time to do something or go somewhere with her, if she wants to. Today she wanted to be out and about so we thought we'd try a part of the cliff path we haven't done. We drove to a NT car park, so free parking for us and set off. It was spectacular out at sea. The waves were really rolling in and the beach was frothy white. The wind was incredible, not just enough to blow the cobwebs away but everything else in sight:D. I tried to walk down the path but it was so windy I was being blown and buffeted. I thought it best to retreat, very blowy winds and cliff tops aren't the best combination. We got back to the car and about 5 minutes later,visibility dropped and the torrential rain started. So glad we weren't caught in that. I had my grandmother's 1970s flask in the car, which had piping hot coffee in it which went down well with the salted caramel muffins made last night :). Although it was a shame not to get our walk in, the blast of air and change of scenery did us good.

We got around Mr T's. During an insomniac night in the summer, I compiled a shopping list that will hopefully reduce the grocery spending a little. It includes 42 pints of milk, 2 dozen eggs, a bag of each type of flour, sugar and basic fruit and veg. It doesn't allow for soft fruits but as long as we are eating apples, oranges and bananas will still count as 5 a day. We have the several pounds of blackberries in the freezer to use up and I did get some lemons today to make either a lemon meringue pie or magic lemon pudding at some point in the coming week. I'm quite conscious that the children are likely to eat more next week, with it being half term.

Interestingly DS1 has graced us with his presence tonight, usually he is out with his friends. When I asked if he was going out, he said no because he couldn't afford it. Hopefully he starting to learn that money doesn't grow on trees and that you can only spend it once.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you got out of the rain in time but still got to feel you had been out together
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.1K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you SH.

It's been a lovely weekend. On Saturday the weather was completely different. The wind had calmed down and blue sky was visible! DD2 and I decided to tackle a different section of the coast path, a 3 mile stretch that we'd been wanting to do all summer but needed a day when someone could take care of DS3 ( normally he comes with us on our walks). This walk is defined as strenuous on walking guides so we knew DS3 needed looking after rather than coming. DD3 was happy to do that :).

The sea was totally calm, such a difference from the day before. The cliff path stretch certainly lived up to the strenuous label. There were steps set into the cliff at various parts because the clamber was straight up or down! At one point I counted 80 steps. In the end I couldn't look at the top as it seemed too far above me! I just had to take one step at a time and keep going - a bit like clearing debt really. The whole number can seem overwhelming and undoable but one step at a time , you get there.

We felt a great sense of achievement when we did the 3 mile stretch. We were fortunate to see a seal this time. It was bobbing in the water - just chilling in the ocean but very special to see. Thankfully there was a parallel path back across the fields so only 5 miles as a round trip. My legs certainly know that we did it :D. My phone recorded 17,000 steps :cool:.

Yesterday was the last of the 8 birthdays. The children wanted to go to the beach and all but DS3 went in the sea. It was sunny and quite warm if you were out of the wind. Not a NSD as we went out for a birthday meal in the evening. The birthday child had opted for McDs so I paid half, the ex paid the other half. The older DDs helped me to decorate the birthday cake...it was a bit of a wonky playmobil character:D.

Unfortunately DD1 hasn't been well since returning to uni, so am hoping to do a flying visit to see her this week. My lovely mum is coming as well and has offered to pay for accommodation for which I am very thankful, as my budget will not stretch anymore.

Today I need to get as many work tasks done as possible to allow us a work free half term.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I love walking the coast path too (south west) and did a 5 mile stretch on Saturday. Beautiful. Mine was easy though but I have done some very strenuous bits with the staircases you mention. Love the analogy with clearing debt one step at a time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you ES.

I didn't manage to get any work tasks done today :eek:. I looked at the tyres on the car and noticed that one tyre had very little tread on the inside and even had strips of canvas showing :eek:. What a month, first the hob, then the cooker, now a tyre. To my shame I've had to request an overdraft extension to replace the tyre. That's one to prioritise to clear with the next payday.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Another insomniac night :mad:, so I've got up and made use of the sleeplessness by updating the spending tracker. It makes interesting reading. Up to now I have struggled to keep grocery spending under £600 a month. This month, so far, I have spent £323. I know I have been more careful to keep to a list devised on another insomniac night in the summer. It means I am being very thoughtful about what goes in the trolley, I'm not keeping lots of food in and we do eat less meat, not that we ate loads to begin with but we're only having meat twice a week. I've also been using my bread machine more to make bread, pizza dough and Chelsea buns. The apple tree has provided lots of puddings over September and October and we still have a freezer drawer full of blackberries :).

In order to keep costs down, on our trip to visit DD1, I've been busy baking so we have a batch of Chelsea buns to take with us and a batch of vanilla muffins. Usually I only have 4 children with me when we go to visit DD1 but this time all but DS1 want to come ( He can't due to work). I think it's lovely that they want to be there for DD1 :).
  • magicgirl
    magicgirl Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry the sleep is eluding you. Glad your planning is paying off though. :)
    That’s what I need to do is to use my time more productively. So hard when working nights though. All I want to do is sleep when I get home and even then, I’m too wired to cruelly do so! Maybe I’ll steal a few ideas off you in that regard :D
    Proud to be Member of BSC #92
    Hoping to get debt free again :wall:
    :heart2: working hard to make my daughters proud :heart2:
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done for spotting the tire. I know it was an essential and the new one should last a while (as should the oven and hob) so that should give you the chance to pay back the necessary OD. It does seem unfair when all the costs come at once.
    You garden must have saved you £££ though - we still have plenty of blackberries in the freezer, too.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport