PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Exchanged - Owner now passed away

Options

Comments

• CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any update on this?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    So sad that the daughter does not want to continue the wishes of the mother and indeed want to profit from it , despite not being on the scene enough to even warrant a sizable mention in the will.

Shows how much she keeps in contact if non family members are in the will.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    There is no such thing as will reading in this country it is a media device, so when you said the will was read I am afraid that little red flags were raised for me.Then that you and your brother were beneficiaries and the exact sum is stated !Usually with a will it is either specific amounts left and the residue to..., but unfortunately in concocting your reply you forgot about the flat part of the estate and any monies in hand etc. etc.

Don't forget to cover the dog's head as you take it through the house.
  • Rushed44
    Rushed44 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Well we did attend the funeral and all went well. The daughter did introduce herself and we simply gave different names, it certainly wasn't the day for such discussions.

We're completing on Tuesday week as intended, but only on our home. We have told our buyers the issue but told them that we are selling. Completion can not happen on the place we're buying until probate is sorted. We will be renting as we've found an acceptable address (for the school application) and we will be asking the estate to refund us on that rent.

The daughter did say she was going to contest but we have learnt that after the 2 x £300K, and her £50K whatever is left is divided equally between the grandchildren. So if she contests then it affects her children's' cut. We also heard that she was quite well off, we already know her house and flat and we heard there is at least another two houses.

To the doubters I don't care what you think. I only wish this wasn't true as it's a nightmare
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There is no such thing as will reading in this country...

A lot of people do use the expression though. Sometimes through ignorance - and too many Agatha Christies, but usually they just mean when the contents of the will are made known.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    When father died last year, our solic read out the will to us. Gave us each a copy of it too. It may not be common practice but it does happen outside the movies.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no such thing as will reading in this country it is a media device, so when you said the will was read I am afraid that little red flags were raised for me.Then that you and your brother were beneficiaries and the exact sum is stated !Usually with a will it is either specific amounts left and the residue to..., but unfortunately in concocting your reply you forgot about the flat part of the estate and any monies in hand etc. etc.

With a 'bag for life'..........................
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Unfortunately just because you have never heard of will reading and beneficiaries being left exact amounts doesn't mean they never happen. They both do. Perhaps you should get your facts right before you are so rude.
    I have no connection with OP.
  • troffasky
    Options
    hjd wrote: »
    I have no connection with OP.

Ahhh, that's what you think, but this thread could yet take another twist!
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    troffasky wrote: »
    Ahhh, that's what you think, but this thread could yet take another twist!

That would just be OPs luck... half of the people posting on here related to the mother and daughter. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure