Downsizing

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2015 at 3:57PM
    Options
    There will still be a few odd jobs to do, like fitting some driveway gates and doing a proper step to the front door instead of the pile of bricks we have at the moment (there was a disabled ramp there when we bought it).
    Do you know, I'd think about replacing the ramp, if it wouldn't look too odd. Not wanting to be rude, but like us you're neither of you getting any younger, and you'd then be prepared if it was ever needed IYSWIM.

Edited to add, I've just trawled back to look at the photos of the house, would it be possible to put an 'all round' ramp around the door, without the hand rail? And am I remembering right that you've demolished the garage?

I had friends who moved to a bungalow and had a lot of work done both inside and out. They must have been in their 50s, and said the builders laughed when they insisted on all the doorways being made wide enough for a wheelchair, layout of fixtures being accessible etc. But in their view it was better to do such things before they were needed!

They also bought a ride on motor mower and a sports car, so not all 'sensible' ... :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Do you know, I'd think about replacing the ramp, if it wouldn't look too odd. Not wanting to be rude, but like us you're neither of you getting any younger, and you'd then be prepared if it was ever needed IYSWIM.

Edited to add, I've just trawled back to look at the photos of the house, would it be possible to put an 'all round' ramp around the door, without the hand rail? And am I remembering right that you've demolished the garage?

I had friends who moved to a bungalow and had a lot of work done both inside and out. They must have been in their 50s, and said the builders laughed when they insisted on all the doorways being made wide enough for a wheelchair, layout of fixtures being accessible etc. But in their view it was better to do such things before they were needed!

They also bought a ride on motor mower and a sports car, so not all 'sensible' ... :rotfl:

I take your point, but there is no way we want it to look like an old peoples' bungalow. If we we ever need it we'll have one put in again :) .

Yes, the garage has gone, so that's why we need some gates, it's all open at the side.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes, the garage has gone, so that's why we need some gates, it's all open at the side.

Make sure they don't lift off the hinges, I know that 50+ years ago some ruffians used to go round there at night just lifting them off their hinges and leaving them leaning.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ruffians!!! I love that word.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Make sure they don't lift off the hinges, I know that 50+ years ago some ruffians used to go round there at night just lifting them off their hinges and leaving them leaning.

The ones we are having have lockable fixings:)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The ones we are having have lockable fixings:)

That's progress
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Yay! The kitchen diner is complete! Rewired, replumbed, remedial work done to the floor, new window and rsj, plastering complete! The units can go in next week! Sitting room next :) Excited!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very exciting, SDW!

It all sounds lovely. M
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All sounds great progress.
    Reminds me of when we did the same, ie bought this house and had some work done before we moved in. New boiler, new kitchen and some plumbing work, loft boarded and proper access to it.
    Difficult times whilst we still had two properties, but huge relief when the old one was sold.
    Money released for next projects, repair fence, new shed, new windows and doors, extended porch, new floor in kitchen -diner and hall. All done.
    I love our new home and the garden. The only trouble is, after the first year of renovations, we have ground to a halt.
    Last December DH said he had had enough disruption for a while, so we did no more. Now it is nearly June and we are busy getting on with life, families, voluntary work etc, that the house and garden have taken a back seat.
    Sure, it is a sign that we have settled in to our new area, which is great.
    But now I am itching to get the remaining jobs completed.
    Redecoration, then new carpets, widen and resurface the drive.

So keep up the impetus, and enjoy your new house.
    My advice is to keep going until it is how you want it.
  • seven-day-weekend
    edited 23 May 2015 at 10:58AM
    Options
    All sounds great progress.
    Reminds me of when we did the same, ie bought this house and had some work done before we moved in. New boiler, new kitchen and some plumbing work, loft boarded and proper access to it.
    Difficult times whilst we still had two properties, but huge relief when the old one was sold.
    Money released for next projects, repair fence, new shed, new windows and doors, extended porch, new floor in kitchen -diner and hall. All done.
    I love our new home and the garden. The only trouble is, after the first year of renovations, we have ground to a halt.
    Last December DH said he had had enough disruption for a while, so we did no more. Now it is nearly June and we are busy getting on with life, families, voluntary work etc, that the house and garden have taken a back seat.
    Sure, it is a sign that we have settled in to our new area, which is great.
    But now I am itching to get the remaining jobs completed.
    Redecoration, then new carpets, widen and resurface the drive.

So keep up the impetus, and enjoy your new house.
    My advice is to keep going until it is how you want it.

Absolutely. Wise advice.

We too will be grinding to a halt soon due to the money running out. :) However, we have enough to do the essentials - but only because we don't have to pay for the windows or the kitchen until next year! :)

We are putting our house up for sale soon, and then when that sells we can pay off the mortgage and continue the work.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure