Olympics advertising

Options

Comments

• Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not as annoyed with the corporate advertising as seeing more and more money being spent on this waste of an event. And its not just going to affect London either.

Living not far off the London - Weymouth travel area myself its going to be a nightmare travelling anywhere during those weeks and once they are here they will travel elsewhere within the UK as well.

Most people I know aren't running their normal events this summer due to the expected travel problems to the deluge of people.
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    Its only for Londoners anyway no one else will benefit
    I know. Imagine calling itself London 2012 - whatever next for the Olympic movement eh?

No one else will benefit will they I mean with events being held in Manchester, Brands hatch, Coventry, Eton Dorney, Hadleigh Farm, Hampden Park(thats Scotland) Millenium Stadium(thats in Cardiff, which is in Wales), Newcastle and Weymouth & Portland no one else will ever benefit from these Olympic games which I believe are the most spread out for a games ever IIRC.

Though I agree the advertising has gone overboard - it always does in the host country - but you have to think of other popular sports events like the major international football tournaments that also get plastered everywhere both in the run up and during their game play period.

Though as much as I would love to have Jessica Ennis as my aife i am getting a bit sick of her and her ever so sexy figure and cute bottom everywhere i look.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • NiallB
    NiallB Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You guys should try living in Belfast the last few weeks. I am so OVER the 100th anniversary of the !!!!!!!' Titanic...
  • funkycoldribena
    Options
    Couldnt give a monkeys either,glad when its all over.
    Can someone explain to me why I should be proud when someone runs/swims/cycles faster than someone else?I couldnt care less.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Couldnt give a monkeys either,glad when its all over.
    Can someone explain to me why I should be proud when someone runs/swims/cycles faster than someone else?I couldnt care less.

Well why not? Do you have no interests where the outcome has a winner who has beaten someone else?

Just because Athletics/Boxing/Rowing/Football and all the other numerous events that make up the Olympics are not to your specific taastes(maybe they should include chess if thats your thing) then it doesnt take away from the achievements that these sports people do and the enjoyment that many many other people take from watching them.

The fact that we are holding such a worldwide sporting event which may not be even back in Europe for many many years is something that we should feel proud of in as much that the Olympic organisation have decided that we as a country overall are capable of doing so.

Out of interest and slightly OT - how many of you people get up in arms when your patron saint isnt celebrated as much as say the paddys?Those of you who do should then be proud that we have the opporunity to show of our green and pleasant land to the world for once and maybe put right any negatives countries around the world have of us.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The stadium and velodrome etc etc look amazing
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    The stadium and velodrome etc etc look amazing

So they should for the money they've cost. How many people will be refused NHS treatment in order to pay for the them?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    So they should for the money they've cost. How many people will be refused NHS treatment in order to pay for the them?

I imagine none. I don't believe there is any link between the nhs budget and the Olympic one. Without the Olympics happening I don't think the nhs would have got more money
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's exactly 16 weeks until the end of the Olympics!

W00t! (To use the vernacular.)
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • kinglewis121
    Options
    lol whats funny is how travelodge can justify 273.98 per night per room over the games period haha
    :jEmpire Stores - [STRIKE]2400[/STRIKE] - [STRIKE]1900[/STRIKE] - [STRIKE]1230[/STRIKE] - [STRIKE]780 [/STRIKE]
    :mad: Natwest Fighting Back for 450 in charges
    :mad: Three - [STRIKE]150[/STRIKE] x !!!!!! ALL GONE ! :D
    " If your going through hell keep going "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills