Oneselect ceased trading

Options

Comments

• Osteogolf
    Options
    I’ve been a OneSelect customer since January and got the email last week saying that Together Energy had taken over. I received another email yesterday informing me of the new tariff rates. My gas prices have risen by 45% and electricity by 30%!! Talk about EXPLOITATION. There seems to be nothing I can do about this until Together have set up my account with them. I accept that OneSelect prices were very low but to come in and raise prices to this extent is totally unacceptable, especially as the customers had no say in the process. Ironically, virtually all OneSelect customers will be savvy people who don’t like being ripped off and thus, look around for a good deal. Here we are now with pants down and bent over by Together Energy. I will be moving to another supplier ASAP and avoiding little known companies from now on.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Osteogolf wrote: »
    I’ve been a OneSelect customer since January and got the email last week saying that Together Energy had taken over. I received another email yesterday informing me of the new tariff rates. My gas prices have risen by 45% and electricity by 30%!! Talk about EXPLOITATION. There seems to be nothing I can do about this until Together have set up my account with them. I accept that OneSelect prices were very low but to come in and raise prices to this extent is totally unacceptable, especially as the customers had no say in the process. Ironically, virtually all OneSelect customers will be savvy people who don’t like being ripped off and thus, look around for a good deal. Here we are now with pants down and bent over by Together Energy. I will be moving to another supplier ASAP and avoiding little known companies from now on.

But you have had the benefit of very low (=unsustainable) prices for nearly 12 months:) That's why I chase the best deals - even a couple of months saves money!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,279 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will be moving to another supplier ASAP and avoiding little known companies from now on.
    You might find the better known companies are even more expensive than this new Together Energy tariff. I certainly did.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I accept that OneSelect prices were very low but to come in and raise prices to this extent is totally unacceptable, especially as the customers had no say in the process. Ironically, virtually all OneSelect customers will be savvy people who don’t like being ripped off and thus, look around for a good deal.

Ofgem appoints a SoLR via an auction process. The SoLR has to have the ability to cope with an unexpected influx of customers and the financial means to purchase enough energy to provide supply. They can if they wish just offer new customers their SVT.

Life is never fair. My simple view is that if I chose a supplier and it goes bust, then I have to accept my share of the blame for what turned out to be a poor decision. The cost of failure - in real terms - is possibly a few £s in additional cost, and a bit of hassle. I sense that people look at say a £70 a month cost and forget that the previous tariff cost was £65.
  • trinidadone
    Options
    I want to follow this thread as i too am a current one select customer? did anyone know the company was in trouble before? I am concerned with the new change in company.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Legendino
    Options
    OneSelect’s Dutch sister company ceased trading in october ‘. I wondered then if OneSelect would follow ? I am not allowed to post the link ? You will find the info if you google it.
  • System
    Options
    I want to follow this thread as i too am a current one select customer? did anyone know the company was in trouble before? I am concerned with the new change in company.

There is no new change in company. Ofgem has moved your account to its appointed supplier. You have two options: stay with the new supplier and agree the tariff on offer or another one of its tariffs, or switch away to another supplier/tariff.

Industry watchers will not signal the potential demise of a supplier as they could be sued if 000s of customers ditched and switched as a result. That said, there are signs when a supplier is struggling such as frequent tariff changes; unexplained increases in DD payments; customer switches being blocked when there is a debit balance; arguments over whether a tariff is fixed or variable; failure to pay ECO payments and so on. The media will though report facts such as one supplier calling in KPMG to help it re-structure its business.
  • Atomicsnail
    Options
    Just to add to this. I've not received anything about the tariff that I'll be put on. Even after sending an email requesting the information. Then today I get an email saying about change of payment processor. Then just now I've had 2 emails for someone I've never heard of, telling me who they bank with, their sort code and part of their account number, along with their direct debit amount and when it will be taken. I know I can't do much with these details but surely this is incompetence of high order!! Who has my details???
  • System
    Options
    Just to add to this. I've not received anything about the tariff that I'll be put on. Even after sending an email requesting the information. Then today I get an email saying about change of payment processor. Then just now I've had 2 emails for someone I've never heard of, telling me who they bank with, their sort code and part of their account number, along with their direct debit amount and when it will be taken. I know I can't do much with these details but surely this is incompetence of high order!! Who has my details???

I cannot comment on your situation, but when GBEnergy folded the SoLR was given all the account information from the failed supplier’s system. In truth, nothing in reality happened, as the SoLR took on some of the failed supplier’s team and then continued to run things under the Coop’s direction from their old office in Preston. I believe that the recently failed Spark Energy will continue to trade as Spark Energy from its old business premises under the direction of the SoLR - Together Energy.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    The SOLR for Spark was Ovo.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills