Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,738 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ha, meant to say :rotfl: :rotfl: at you losing your Christmas pud down the back of the cupboard KC :D A great way to save it! :j

More spending declarations today - I told you I was no good at NSDs! :rotfl:

First up I was early this morning so popped to the 99p shop - always fatal...

£4.95 (a million (well, 60) hair bobbles, hair clip, gel pens, batteries, and one of those giant fleecy mittens with an ice scraper on it :D )

£1.25 small chocolatey treat for us :o and some entirely unnecessary chocolates to take with me tomorrow :o (if they last that long)

Had a very shameful moment when the ice scraper was confiscated by security :o:o:o Never occurred to me it could be used as a weapon!! But apparently 'you could put it on and inflict a nasty slash down someone's face with that, love' :o

Got it back now fortunately :D Just need a car to go with it... :rotfl: :rotfl:

In other news - I've been saving £2 coins and last year I opened a credit union savings account to keep them separate from other money :D Saved £400 last year, half went to charity, and a couple of weeks ago I spent £150 :eek: on a fancy pants GPS running watch thing :eek: FINALLY got round to transferring the money from the credit union to bank so I think I might add £100 of it to the long term savings fund since I'd forgotten about it and budgeted the month with out it :j :j

(sadly the other £50 never actually made it into the credit union in the first place so I've already spent that :o :rotfl: )

£50 left in credit union, and I'll be adding to it all year too whenever my £2 coin stash gets to £100 :j :j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Didn't think I would spend any more today but remembered I meant to enter the Liverpool half marathon and if you do it before Friday you get your name printed on your race number :j :j

£34.50 :eek: for the privilege of running round Liverpool in circles :eek: Oh, and a medal and a technical running t shirt too of course :D But even so - :eek:

Got to get over there too (not til the end of March) but at least once I'm there I can stay with family.

I was going to enter the triathlon I'm planning for May too, but I couldn't bring myself to pay £51 for that right now on top of the half marathon... :eek: :eek: :eek: It had best be a bloody good medal for that!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • lionheartedgirl
    Options
    Just a quick one to say entry fees are horrendous aren't they, it's all becoming very popular now and prices are going up and up :(

Last year I made a decision to stay away from big sponsored events and keep to little ones where the money went straight to a charity or a community, the fees are lower and the experience is often more fun. Hill racing (fell racing doon sooth!) in Scotland is often only a couple of quid to enter and you get a bowl of soup after - haven't done any yet but definitely on the list for this year.

Not sure what your September plans are but if you fancy a fabulous race in utterly jaw dropping scenery, with a tiny entry fee that goes straight to the community and everyone turns out to help, check out the Applecross duathlon. I did it last year, £6 :eek: to enter which you more than get back in tea and cake after. Entries open on june 1st I think, it's always massively oversubscribed so be quick (on the entry front anyway, you can be slow on the day!). And you get piped over the finishing line :j

Best of luck with your training! Which watch did you get as I'm thinking about getting one too :eek:
  • Tescodealqueen
    Options
    Hey Cheery found your new thread by accident, was following your blog then the laptop broke and could not find it again, teas saved in my favourites ( think I sound like a stalker now)
    Glad you are still loving your job and loving your ramblings, pleased to hear they still involve cake
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd no idea that the fees were so high! Sad to see that its happening more and more.

But hilarious to find your ice scraper confiscated as a weapon, sorry :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Bad_Weather
    Options
    Just a quick one to say entry fees are horrendous aren't they, it's all becoming very popular now and prices are going up and up :(

Last year I made a decision to stay away from big sponsored events and keep to little ones where the money went straight to a charity or a community, the fees are lower and the experience is often more fun. Hill racing (fell racing doon sooth!) in Scotland is often only a couple of quid to enter and you get a bowl of soup after - haven't done any yet but definitely on the list for this year.

Not sure what your September plans are but if you fancy a fabulous race in utterly jaw dropping scenery, with a tiny entry fee that goes straight to the community and everyone turns out to help, check out the Applecross duathlon. I did it last year, £6 :eek: to enter which you more than get back in tea and cake after. Entries open on june 1st I think, it's always massively oversubscribed so be quick (on the entry front anyway, you can be slow on the day!). And you get piped over the finishing line :j

Best of luck with your training! Which watch did you get as I'm thinking about getting one too :eek:

I am scottish and also made the decision to stay away from the big ones. I've been running forever so don't do it for charity (I give alot to charity just dont run races as its not a challenge). But I DO think they big races are great for fundraising. :A

There are so many races that are free or small fees - Parkrun for a start is free 5k every saturday. You get a time and I think even the frist 3 get prizes - for a FREE race! It is brilliant. :T

I went to applecross last year - was a trek and a half from Glasgow and that road to it is SCARY (it was misty and raining when i went) but the duathlon sounds FAB! Do a lot of people camp? As there is not much accomodation in that region? x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Ooh, exciting things! :j :j

KC, Bigger races are indeed expensive... I'm doing both of these with someone else though so it's all arranged this time :) And while I'm so slow I feel safer in a large group :D (and I do like to get a medal!) I don't do tooooo many so don't mind tooooo much. It's partly because you get a lot of support and goodies (drinks stations, medals, t shirts etc), and also because they close the roads to the public for several hours, which is expensive. Triathlons they obviously need to pay for the pool etc too, which costs even more!

Hi lionheartedgirl :hello: Applecross sounds fun (especially if the two are running and biking - I never was a fan of the swimming! :o ) Will investigate. Although my marathon is first week of October so don't want to hamper that too much!

:hello: bad weather :) I do do my local parkrun most weekends, very jolly indeed (although the first three don't get a prize, they get a larger number of points, and I think at the end of the year the people with the most points get prizes - just as likely to be the slower ones who go every week as the fast ones who only go once or twice!). I love the parkruns :)

:hello: TDQ, lovely to see you! :j Have you found my blog again now? (can't remember if it's in my profile on here, must check!)

More spends to declare today (although at least none of them got confiscated...)

£2 bin bags
    97p new washing up bowl :rotfl:

Also I'm just at the end of 2 weeks of jury service, and they give you a £5.71 allowance for the canteen each day. Whatever you don't spend, you get back at the end, so I've taken leftovers with me every day and built up a profit of £34.93 :money: :j :j which will be spent on a couple of nice lunches or evenings out :D :j

Will have to pop out again for milk later (and feeling a need to have a few hyacinths on the windowsill) - one day I'll actually get organised!! :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Wow, what was jury service like? The only time I was ever picked, it was at the last town I lived in, but I'd moved here the previous month, it was weird - I told them my new address, and they said I was now ineligible, fair enough, different county and all that. Didn't know that about the buildup of lunch money, thats quite something, especially for an mse-er :)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    It was sometimes fascinating, and sometimes dull, and occasionally quite distressing, so a mix! LOTS of sitting around waiting to be called, and occasionally being sent home all together quite early on. Really interesting to get a vague idea of how the courts work. I hadn't realise how many people wait til they get all the way to court, THEN decide to plead guilty (meaning they no longer need a jury) - happened at least 6 times at least in the fortnight I was there.

I had 3 cases - first one very distressing all round, and even more so when it was called off after the defendent attempted (and very nearly succeeded) suicide on the first night :( Quite awful. Second one someone said something they shouldn't in the courtroom (not us!) and they had to start all over again with another jury. Third one actually got all the way to the end, so we had to be shut in a deliberation room and everything.

Judges were lovely, really nice, recognising that none of us knew what was going on, and taking time to explain everything - 'the prosecution counsel is objecting here, and he is right to because...' etc. Really helpful. Court staff were all lovely and we were really well looked after.

Some bits are like you see on the tv - prosecution saying 'I put it to you that you saw this!' and witness saying 'no I didn't!' Other bits very much not so.

I didn't know about the lunch money either til I started :D They encourage you to spend it in their canteen, of course, but on the first day my baked potato was only half cooked, and the other options seemed to be mostly cheese toasties, cheese sandwiches and cheese paninis (spot the theme?), or chips, so I took my own lunch - only sensible thing to do! :money:

Nothing else to declare today - popped out for milk but Mr Cheery paid for that from the food budget :D Just made myself a really not-very-interesting tea so might have to either start again or resort to porridge :o:rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks Cheery! They put you through a lot, didn't they ... heavens. The judge sounds lovely. A friend of mine who lives in London is a magistrate, and you couldn't imagine anyone less likely; the more humane and empathic the legal bods are that are in the system, the better things will be all round, I reckon.

Hope you found some lovely yummy food somewhere :bdaycake:

Or did you need protein? I'm rubbish at finding my own smileys, sorry - sleep well tho :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport