Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
3.7K replies 211.4K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheery, thats great, I love that you transfer to the long term savings straight away, good for you! And 8 miles! <faints> I'm impressed!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all :hello:

KC, I have to transfer straight away or it'd just get lost in the general pot! :rotfl: Feels good to have done it though :D

Inadvertently saved us £1100 today by being too reluctant to travel half way across the peak district on my own with cash in an envelope to buy a car I'd never seen from a man I don't know :o Can't decide if I was being sensible or pathetic :o Mr Cheery arranged to see it tomorrow, but we just had a call to say someone else has bought it :o Fair enough, but if I'd have gone this morning we could have had it by now! :o

Ah well...

Other than that, been at the community garden (nowt to spend on there!) and in my own garden harvesting rosemary and digging and chopping stuff ready for the tip when we have a new car :j

Popping out to a meeting tonight so will be making a small donation there, so I don't think I could legitimately count it as a NSD but it's darn close! :D
    10K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right - been back in to energy website and changed to a flexible direct debit of £120 a month :j

It was £147, but we're £253 in credit and I've just changed plans and fixed the prices, so estimated yearly cost is less.

They were recommending £135, but I've switched it to £120 because I reckon we can use less... (she says, hopefully...).

With it being flexible, if we use more than we've paid for in any one month, they can take a bigger direct debit (but only up to £202). Given that we have a large credit balance, and given that we're coming up to spring (she says, again, hopefully...) we should be alright for a few months :j

Just thought - given I worked the budget out on the basis of paying £147, I should transfer that extra £27 a month to the long term savings each month, shouldn't I?? That means it's in the current account initially if we use more than we think and they have to take it, but if not, it can go straight over.

Right - off to transfer Feb's £27 :j :j Oh I am SO glad I came back here, got myself into a whole new mindset :D :j :j
    10K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yawn - was about to get all efficient and actually go through cashback site to order new phone/internet package - but Mr Cheery set up my new laptop last week and has installed an ad blocker thing - normally I appreciate that but it won't let me do cashback, and I can't figure out where it is to disable it! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah well, maybe later...
    10K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just quickly popping in to declare...

Sunday:
    £2 donation at meeting
    £1.35 teabags for meeting (very important :D )

Today:
    £2.90 grapes and 8 clementines from market
    £15.50 charity shop clothes (denim skirt, orange corderoy skirt, black jumper and red cardi so not a bad haul! :j
    £9.35 at slimming world :eek: (yes, i'm back there again :o but lost 2lbs tonight and am now only 3.5lbs from target :j ) anyway, that was a magazine, raffle ticket (i didn't win) and 6 boxes of scrummy cereal bars (favourite ever christmas pudding ones on BOGOF so had to stock up before they run out!!) :rotfl: :rotfl:

suppose i should probably go to sleep...
  • DedicatedDFWDedicatedDFW Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Cheery you were up late - hope you're not too tired today :)

Well done on being so close to weight target :T

I always think, for me anyway, it is a good exercise writing down spends it makes me more conscious of what i am spending as sometimes things which are cheap / on offer seem a relly good deal and then the next thing is that i have spent £20 without realising it if that makes sense ?

gotta dash - my car repair person is on their way to rescue me :D

Hope everyone has a good day
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    10K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely DDFW - and knowing i'm going to come in and write down every little stupid thing i've bought makes me think twice :D :rotfl:
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving the sound of a flexible DD - I've never even heard of that!

And the shopping too - like DDFW, you've got a great haul for your money :DAnd how could you possibly resist christmas pudding flavour bars :rotfl: which reminds me, I have an *actual* Christmas pudding, gluten free and very yummy, that fell down the back of a small freestanding cupboard - I need to rescue it :D strictly thinking of the pudding's welfare, of course :D
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were categorically not being ANY sort of wimp about the car thing. In fact, I think the word you were looking for was "sensible" - or possible "responsible". Personal safety comes first!

Nice work on the energy thing - that's quite a saving over the year. If you're in that level of credit at this time of year then there was definitely something wrong before I think!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    10K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually didn't think of it like that EH! But you're right of course, we've obviously not used as much as they're charging us for.

KC, I'd not heard of flexible direct debit either!