Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
3.7K replies 211.2K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear, the reason for my pitifully out-of-control financial situation is becoming very clear - yet more sends to declare... :o :rotfl:

£4.99 entirely unnecessary polka dot bag purchase (although not *entirely* random - I have been looking for something similar for weeks now, big enough to hold lunch and a few papers etc in when going to a work type event...) Tis black with white dots and red handles :j
    £1 bananas - could have managed without but the market stall guy was shouting 'six nanas for a pound, who will buy them?' and I found myself saying 'I will! I will buy your nanas!' before I knew what was happening :o :rotfl:
    59p reduced chocolate santa for a shared treat :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I will try SO HARD to make tomorrow a NSD (other than travel I can claim back) - but I've just remembered that friend is coming round for the evening and I said I'd get cake! Best raid the cupboards...
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I will buy your nanas!" I just *love* that :rotfl: and a reduced rate Santa is a necessity, isn't it :money:

Well, maybe not :money: but very lovely all the same :j Hope you enjoy, its worth it :T
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • I confess i did the same today- i deliberately went out with a specific purchase in mind.... but bananas were on offer and i didn't get what i went out for..*shamefaced smilie*:o:rotfl:
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can totally beat that.

In a migraine induced fog I bought a new handbag (£25) and some pyjamas (£10)

I love your diary XX
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!)
    Emergency fund 2200/3000 Christmas 700/1200 House Savings target 5382/10000, (H2B 4282/5400), General savings 800-1000 a month
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl: BOB at your banana purchasing too :D

but ((((buffy))))) those things were Absolutely Necessary I'd say. Hope the migrane has gone xx

Now much to report here. Managed to avoid too much pottering in town and just bought

Sweetener £1
    one each of mini mars bar and snickers 30p :o :rotfl:

Get paid at midnight! :j :j And since I haven't yet instructed work to change my bank accounts, there'll be a bit of shuffling and nonsense to do tomorrow. Still, got all the bumf for the joint accounts now so I'll try to switch as many direct debits over as I can tomorrow, and that'll give me an incentive to get on with changing the account for my wages :rotfl:

Must dash, lovely friend is coming round for tea, and instead of buying a cake I went all :money: and baked buttery biscuits :j :j (That'll do my slimming world weigh in the world of good!!) :rotfl: :rotfl:
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right - a sorting out day for me :j :j

I've put my gym membership in my signature - want to make sure I use it :p I've been lucky - had a 2 month special before Christmas for £40 (for both months!) with no joining fee, and then in January paid £80 for 3 months peak membership :money:Not bad at all!

It's cheap for classes and swimming anyway (£3 off peak, £4 peak), but doesn't have a pay as you go gym (I'm laughing because we once named my sister's fish Pay-As-You-Go-Jim :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Going to count how much I use in classes over the 3 months, and how many times I use the treadmill, and see if it's worth continuing at the end. Once I've done the triathlon in May it almost certainly won't be, because I'll be doing all my runs outside too...

Also on today's agenda - payday bank shuffling :money:
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excuse me trying to work stuff out... :p

Gas and electric

Just changed plans over the phone.

Previously on Ovo 100% green energy variable plan

Previous DD £147
    Annual cost £1542 (so yes, I have a credit balance of £253, which apparently they pay 4% interest on :rotfl: )

Plan was changing (with standing charge increase) so I've moved to a fixed rate one - still 100% green, with a £60 discount for online only

New annual estimated cost £1427 :money:So saved £100 a year :money:
    Once that's all updated itself (should be later today) I can go online and play with the direct debit changer slidey thing on the website and adjust the amount I pay each month - hopefully to £120 :j :j

So that'll be £27 a month saved without too much bother at all :j :j

(I know I could get it cheaper elsewhere, especially if I didn't go with a green energy one... But actually this company have been GREAT, their website is really easy to use, limited number of straightforward tarrifs, can look at graphs and compare your use to average house, your use last year etc :j So for now I'm sticking with them)

Apparently our electricity use is much less than average for our type of house, but gas is much higher - which fits with what I said about inefficient boiler/having it on all day. Will see what we can do about that at some point!

Also changed the direct debit to come from joint account, so that's the first one crossed off the list :j:j
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    House phone and internet

Currently on BT unlimited weekend for house phone

Monthly direct debit £34.50 :eek:
    On closer investigation this includes:
    £15.99 a month line rental
    £3.48 rental of telephone (?! We have a phone from a charity shop!)
    £44 of calls over 3 months (so £15 ish a month :eek:)

Also pay £25 a month for internet (From someone else)

Current total for phone and internet = £59.50

Quick look at BT says we could have:

Line rental paid upfront (£141 a year) = £11.75/month
    Unlimited anytime calls £7/month
    BT broadband £16/month (reduced to £8 for first 6 months of 18 month contract)

= £32.08 a month (over 18 months) (plus a £25 sainsbug voucher)

OR

We could have superfast infinity broadband for £23 a month (£16 for first 6 months) which makes it

= £41 a month (plus a £50 sainsbug voucher)

Hmmm... I know there's cheaper out there but for me there's always a balance between monetary cost and cost of my time and sanity sorting it out :o:rotfl::rotfl:Since I am not in oddles of debt any more, and I actually HATE the nonsensical process of switching and comparing, I am sometimes willing to pay more to make it all go away... :o:o

So I shall talk to Mr Cheery later about whether he wants superfast broadband or not (I don't care, myself, but even if we go with that it still saves us £20 a month!).

Suppose I'd best read Martin's home phone switching guide before I do anything else!

(and actually I only popped in to change the direct debit to the new account, thought it was a good opportunty to investigate while I was there!)

(and apologies in advance for the number of these detailed working-out posts I might post today :p)
  • Have you tried the comparison thingymajig on here? Pretty good for working out deals on all sorts of things.

*banana update* I am making banana pancakes after....oh and a banana loaf. One needs to be in touch with inner cooking goddess every now and then....goes looking for more banana recipes to use up the darned things.............:cool::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
    9.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn you and your banananas Bob - I only got to eat ONE of the six I brought home the other night!! :eek: (I have a cheeky bananana eating fairy in my house, apparently) :rotfl: :rotfl:

Might have a go at the phone/broadband line rental comparison thingume, thanks :) Although I confess I'm starting to get Quite Bored with the whole thing and may soon be reaching my tolerance threshold for today... :o :rotfl: