2017 - Spend less, live more

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    Options
    Chanie, it is a real shame the packaging was somewhat misleading. You can be grateful though that is only a £13 mistake :)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update

Another frugal failing
    DS split his school trousers at the crotch, which is rather annoying, as he has only been back at school for 3 weeks. I sewed them up, but I am not very good at sewing, as everytime I sew something, the stitches never hold. I decided to superglue (genius that I am), the fabric and it started to smoke and the glue hardened the trousers, so I had to throw them away. This morning, I put him in another pair and DS points out the crotch has split on pair no 2.

Home update
    All of the building works are done so we now have a few minor jobs to finish up. Our dining room furniture is being delivered this week and we will order the flooring this weekend. Then, we are done. Cant wait.

Selling old furniture
    I placed an ad to sell our old dining room furniture and there have been no takers, so far. It’s is good condition, but is old fashioned, so I am not surprised it hasnt sold. At this rate, I will just stick it outside the house with a sign saying take me and it will go.

Helping family
    SIL is a low earner and a single parent. She does manage her money well, but it is difficult. I suggested to OH that when we next go to Costco, we buy a bits and pieces like pasta/rice/washing detergent to help her out.
  • chanie
    Options
    bullet journal

I have always kept a notepad for my to do lists. Last year, I came across bullet journaling, which is just a fancy version of a to do list, all displayed nicely with check lists, targets, trackers I pretty colours. I thought I would give it a go this year and at first, I struggled with it as Im not very artistic. Then I decided to go back to basics and did some simple tables and charts and its working well. I am going to get a head start on my 2019 journal, which I bought from eBay,

If anyone is interested in bullet journals, have a look here
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bullet+journal&safe=strict&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-hK-xu9ndAhXF66QKHTIJDdoQ_AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=922
  • chanie
    Options
    Just checking in, here. Not much to report. I hope everyone is well.
  • chanie
    Options
    I saved £3 in some yellow sticker food this weekend. We had some people round for dinner and I picked up some veggies. The SA even told me to hang on as they were about to make some further reductions and so I got the items even cheaper!
  • chanie
    Options
    Thank goodness for my spare gift stash!

We had a temp in the team whose last day was earlier in the week. It was a bit of rush, as I wanted to get them a little thank you gift, but didn’t want to spend too much money. I managed to find a few decent gifts, which I put in a recycled gift bag.

I cleared out my gift stash earlier in the year as it was full of stuff that was unsuitable to gift. I couldnt remember what I had, so I was pleasantly surprised. I will need to top it up now.
  • chanie
    Options
    charity work

I have been thinking quite a bit about my charitable efforts recently and I really want to do more next year. This year, I put together some charity shoe boxes, which I really enjoyed doing. I will also be donating items for some food hampers via the children’s school. My main issue is the lack of time and that anything I do will need planning. I dont want this to stop me, so I just need to focus on what I can do and then actually do it.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    bullet journal

I have always kept a notepad for my to do lists. Last year, I came across bullet journaling, which is just a fancy version of a to do list, all displayed nicely with check lists, targets, trackers I pretty colours. I thought I would give it a go this year and at first, I struggled with it as Im not very artistic. Then I decided to go back to basics and did some simple tables and charts and its working well. I am going to get a head start on my 2019 journal, which I bought from eBay,

If anyone is interested in bullet journals, have a look here
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bullet+journal&safe=strict&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-hK-xu9ndAhXF66QKHTIJDdoQ_AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=922

Hi chanie
    being a bit of a minimalist, I don't do colour in my bullet journalling attempts and being useless at art as well means that I keep it quite Spartan looking. I do mine with a time ladder down the middle, lots on Google images and instagram have some nice examples. I like having a record of things done, money spent and a timeline.
  • chanie
    Options
    buglets thanks for the tip. I will have a look for my bullet journal.

In order to save a couple of £££s I bought my own Xmas present from OH this weekend! I had seen a purse I wanted, which OH said he would get for me and it was 20% off this weekend. So, I grabbed it, to save OH a trip to town.

My next charity task is helping out with the school fete this weekend. I have bought quite a few things for the fete out of my own money and I will also be helping out on the day itself.
  • chanie
    Options
    In 2018, I managed to save £3594.78 on purchases. Woohoo.

I plan to top this in 2019.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport