Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• Mogton
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if the excess insurance companies cover for America? I have car hire with virgin package but only includes the basic insurance. They give you the option to upgrade but seems ridiculously dear. I was considering the alternative of upgrading with an excess hire insurance instead.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Mogton wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if the excess insurance companies cover for America? I have car hire with virgin package but only includes the basic insurance. They give you the option to upgrade but seems ridiculously dear. I was considering the alternative of upgrading with an excess hire insurance instead.

Already covered. Look here
    Excess car hire insurance won't cut it. You need full CDW and SLI.

Three choices;
    https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection option including CDW & SLI
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance
    or
    https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk ticking the Supplementary Liability option
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    dizzzy wrote: »
    I've recently got back from Florida and hired a car with Avis. On arrival we had a 2 hour wait for our vehicle and as a gesture of goodwill the assistant gave us pre-paid fuel (return car empty) free of charge. She hand wrote "return empty" on our rental agreement and also adjusted the agreement to state that the fuel gauge reading on the car said empty (on the computer not handwritten).

On returning home we've had a charge to our credit card for $278. This charge comprises of $20 for whatever as it's not listed and $258 for fuel. I've already been in touch with Avis who have now refunded the $20 but not the $258 for fuel. I've emailed them the paperwork which states fuel gauge was empty and has the return empty written on it (it's a carbon copy so is obvious that I haven't written it on). What is my next step if they don't refund it this time? Does s.75 apply in a situation like this? Also I booked the car hire through British Airways however the payment for fuel is to Avis so does this make a difference? I don't really want to go down the route of S.75 as Avis is the one at fault but not sure what else to do.

Go Section 75. Don't complicate your life further.
  • Hoseman
    Hoseman Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to hire a car for Pula in Croatia. Any general tips and car hire companies to avoid or recommendations? Will look at via kayak or carrentals as suggested by Martin but video is dated 2014!

Also, with regard to additional payments so Im clear, is this is how it generally works? Going for full to full fuel btw and then will pay for car in advance (using above comparison sites) while the car hire co. (when I get there) will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW. Best practice is to go to Money Maxim to get a better insurance deal and I will decline CDW offer and not pay anything else when I get there or when I take car back. Correct?
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Hoseman wrote: »
    Need to hire a car for Pula in Croatia. Any general tips and car hire companies to avoid or recommendations? Will look at via kayak or carrentals as suggested by Martin but video is dated 2014!

Also, with regard to additional payments so Im clear, is this is how it generally works? Going for full to full fuel btw and then will pay for car in advance (using above comparison sites) while the car hire co. (when I get there) will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW. Best practice is to go to Money Maxim to get a better insurance deal and I will decline CDW offer and not pay anything else when I get there or when I take car back. Correct?

You'll need a credit card for them to block an amount on the card in case of damage. Usually at least £1000.
    It's not CDW as that is included, but super CDW. Don't just choose the cheapest on Moneymaxim and don't just choose the cheapest on Kayak. Check the T&C.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoseman wrote: »
    will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW
    A deposit or pre-authorisation on a credit card will be required to cover the excess amount of the CDW, if you take out separate cover for the excess instead of paying the hire firm for their expensive 'super' cover.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Mogton
    Options
    Great thanks for the help
  • Mogton
    Options
    Hi sorry just want to do a final check re the excess insurance and charges. If I get a passenger car via budget its 582. If I get via Virgin with basic insurance its 450. I've looked on bettersafe and it'll cost 80 for the additional daily coverage for our holiday so approx 530. Would there be any additional charges at the car hire company? . Just confused that I've seen some posts detailing daily charges totalling near 100$ I'd be saving £50 if not. Is it worth it as unsure what would happen if actually had to claim. I've driven in the states loads but car hire has never been this expensive. Also always gone with carhire3000 and had someone scratch the car and they didn't blink an eye. Thanks in advance.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi sorry just want to do a final check re the excess insurance and charges. If I get a passenger car via budget its 582. If I get via Virgin with basic insurance its 450. I've looked on bettersafe and it'll cost 80 for the additional daily coverage for our holiday so approx 530. Would there be any additional charges at the car hire company? . Just confused that I've seen some posts detailing daily charges totalling near 100$ I'd be saving £50 if not. Is it worth it as unsure what would happen if actually had to claim. I've driven in the states loads but car hire has never been this expensive. Also always gone with carhire3000 and had someone scratch the car and they didn't blink an eye. Thanks in advance.

I'd be surprised if Alamo Brits isn't cheaper.
  • EveryWhere
    Options

You seem to be confusing matters.

It was implied that your Virgin Holidays car hire is part of a Fly/Drive package.

Perhaps you should state more clearly what it is that you are actually purchasing, to prevent further confusion.

Dates, location and class of vehicle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure