Cheery's country living adventure

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Aww Cheery - what a pants start to the day!:mad: Terrible customer service in both places!!! I don't blame Mr. Cheery one bit for his stance!:o

Glad to hear you had a nice cosy afternoon at home cuddled up with a book - such a luxury!:D:T
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Evening chums :hello:

Thought I'd pop in as it's been a while :)

All cheery here. Work is busy and I am in the city most daya between now and Christmas which was NOT what I had planned :eek: Not doing wonders for my sanity or for the diesel bill :eek: but it IS only til Christmas and then things will calm down considerably til at least next September :j

We finally got round to sending our wayleave form off so hopefully a cheque for £2000 should wing its way to us soon :money:

Some of that will pay for the heating engineers, who will be fitting us radiators in the kitchen and utility rooms, which don't currently have them :eek:

Rennovations are continuing apace - Mr Cheery has nearly removed the whole of the chimney now so we next need to figure out how to finish off the wall and then sort out someone to sort out the floors... Thinking of asking the farmer if he'd be willing to do it - we've got to pay someone and would rather it was someone we knew!

Other than that... We've been vigilant this weekend and it's paid off. Went out for tea with my mum at the weekend and the (new) waiter wrote down 'special' instead of 'vegetable' and Mr Cheery ended up with a dish of chicken and lamb (he doesn't eat meat). All swiftly and apologetically rectified - but when the bill came it still had the special on it which was nearly £4 extra. Glad I checked!

Then we bought some reduced flowers in the supermarket and noticed as we went through that we'd been charged the full price -the reduced sticker hadn't fully covered the original bar code. Had to go to customer services to get our £1.76 back :rotfl:

Pays to be vigilant people!

Nowt much else to report. Not been to the cafe much lately with all this work getting in the way :eek: :o :rotfl: :rotfl:

Need to sort ynab as I was paid the other day and not done it since!

Hope all is good for you in MSE land :j
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We finally got round to sending our wayleave form off so hopefully a cheque for £2000 should wing its way to us soon :money:

Other than that... We've been vigilant this weekend and it's paid off. Went out for tea with my mum at the weekend and the (new) waiter wrote down 'special' instead of 'vegetable' and Mr Cheery ended up with a dish of chicken and lamb (he doesn't eat meat). All swiftly and apologetically rectified - but when the bill came it still had the special on it which was nearly £4 extra. Glad I checked!

Then we bought some reduced flowers in the supermarket and noticed as we went through that we'd been charged the full price -the reduced sticker hadn't fully covered the original bar code. Had to go to customer services to get our £1.76 back :rotfl: Pays to be vigilant people!

Great you have got your Wayleave form sent off now. Do allow yourself tea and cake out of the money won't you? :D Not that you need an excuse for a trip to your village tea shop :rotfl:

And I second being vigilant too because the amount of times we have been overcharged in shops is unbelievable. Mostly on reduced items that end up being charged the original price. Worst culprit we have found is Sainsbobs. I would say at least once out of two shopping trips we were overcharged. Actually we stopped shopping there because of it as found it time consuming having to check our receipt fully and then queue up at Customer Services to get the money back.

Glad your hens are enjoying their warm mash Cheery. Its always been a favourite for hens on chilly mornings :)

Keep up the good work :)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Thank you edwink :j

We actually found out this week that our village cafe is being sold!! :eek: someone else is planning to use it as a cafe but we're quite particular about such things so not holding our breath. But then this might mean that our cafe spending is cut so much that we pay the mortgage off several years early :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

A couple of years early is nothing to sneeze at!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Well, it's not going to get paid off early if I carry on the rate I've been going :eek: :eek:

Just done YNAB for the first time in a couple of weeks. When will I learn?! Completely stopped using the app, everything is all in a mess :o:o

Had to stick £81 under 'budget fiddling' cos I couldn't work out what I'd done with it once I'd got it out in cash :eek: :eek: I have been away for work though but not really much I can claim on expenses - mostly it's just been frittered :eek:

Budget isn't looking very healthy - nothing major has happened either :eek: Couple of things, had a musical instrument fixed etc, but nothing we shouldn't be able to deal with.

Really need to sit down and get this stuff sorted out and a decent budget planned :o This is like the bad old days! :eek:

In other MSE news...

Had a letter from the wayleave people enclosing our signed agreement - no cheque though and no mention of one :eek: So not entirely sure what's happened to that :eek: Hoping it'll come in a separate envelope...

Got £50 credit to the electricity account because a friend used our referral link to switch :j :j Must remember to transfer that to the mortgage account (which feels utterly ridiculous given the mess the current account is in but one has to stick to the rules of ones own game! Kind of...)

Had a £5.50 rewards payment from the bank account - should also stick that to the mortgage account

Had an email from the electricity company - they're putting our direct debit up cos we're using more than we're paying for. Fair enough - I've just checked the meter reading and they're not *that* far off... We've got a couple of electric heaters on at the minute as we have a few rooms without radiators :eek:

Speaking of which - plumber is coming this week to fit the radiators :j Except I've just had an email saying the radiator we ordered won't be here til 7th December :mad: Mr Cheery refuses to have the one the plumber will source and bring himself, so he's going to have to find another one, and it looks like we won't be getting it fitted this week. How tiresome.

Local farmer found us a potential builder :j :j He came round last night, we're going to get the buildings regs man back in this week to give us advice about exactly what to do to meet the requirements, then builder will quote. Doesn't sound like he'll be completely outlandish, and will let Mr Cheery work alongside him it seems.

So a bit of a mixed bag for me at the minute. Really annoyed with myself for not keeping up with YNAB :o and really annoyed with the whole stupid radiator situation! :eek: Fed up of thinking about it and just want to be WARM! :o :rotfl:

Still, working at home for most of this week :j I am SO excited :j Been SO tired lately, so this is an opportunity to have some driving-free days, which will also knock a dent in our currently-outlandish diesel bill :eek: :o

Right, another cup of tea then best get on with some work I suppose... :o
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There's good stuff in there Cheery, in amongst the :eek: s! As I recall you're working in the office a lot at the moment, which is a long commute away, so don't beat yourself up too much - it must be a long day and I doubt sorting out YNAB is much fun at the end of it.

That's great news about the builder - fingers crossed it works out! And I hope the wayleave cheque turns up soon too.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 November 2018 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Awww bless you Cheery x Don't be too hard on yourself. You only moved in this year so it will take a while for things to settle down and for you to get in to a good routine sorting the pennies etc. We had the odd times when we couldn't account for the odd bit of money and put that down to frittering it away, but, we were strict with ourselves for the majority of the time so forgave ourselves for the odd lapse we would have.

Homemade nutritious soup for a few suppers should allow a few more pennies to be saved, so what veg have you got left growing that would make some nice soup out of?. Even though we have now paid our mortgage off we still have homemade soup at least twice a week during the winter as it is so cheap to make, especially when veg is home-grown. We made Pumpkin and ginger soup this week but must confess to not growing pumpkins this year. Bought it for 50p and it made enough for 4 portions with potatoes added. So come on Cheery, chin up lass and get that cooking head on of yours :D You are doing really well, so keep and the good work and please don't beat yourself up over a little money getting mixed up eh?

Have you got any open fires in your new home? I can't remember if you said you have or not. I do remember that you took out a chimney breast at one stage though. It certainly would be a cheaper way to help heat your home but in turn you would need a good supply of wood/logs.

With regards to your electric bill going up, have you thought about having 2 watt LED light bulbs throughout your house? They are not cheap to buy but once in they last absolutely ages. We got ours a few at a time when they were on offer in H*mbecase and now have them in every ceiling light and the lamps throughout our home. Having those and other electricity saving measures we have adopted over the years certainly save us a fair amount of money now. Remember things like only fill your kettle up enough to make 1 cup of tea if that is all you are making because kettles consume a lot of electric when heating up the water, so never overfill them. There are lots of little things you can do to help save electric around the home like turning off all those switches that shouldn't be switched on and always unplug your mobile phone once it is fully charged.

Great news on the £50 credit for your refer a friend by the way. That was welcome good news and a nice bit of credit for your electric.

Take care

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Thank you, you lovely people :kisses3: You're right of course, I shouldn't beat myself up *quite* so much :o It is taking a bit of getting used to here and things will I'm sure settle down :o

We are both pretty frugal by nature, although I confess we're not exactly putting ourselves through hardship right now :o Went to the cafe AGAIN today for the third day in a row :eek: Only spent a fiver, but even so. We're just panicking because they're closing next week, and I can't usually go during the week so it's a nice treat :o :rotfl:

Anyway, some good news. We managed to source a new radiator (from the same people) which will be here on Wednesday and was £100 cheaper than the one we originally planned :money: Refund already sent to paypal, so I must remember to claim that back. That means the work can go ahead as planned this week, which means we will have central heating all the way through and can turn the electric heaters off which will make rather a difference to the bill I suspect!

We did indeed take a chimney breast out, but we still have an open fire (in the study though, so it'll likely never be used). We will also have the (non-working) gas fire removed from the living room while the gas bloke is here this week, and we will eventually replace it with the solid fuel stove we removed from what will be the expanded kitchen (are you keeping up? There will be a quiz later :rotfl: )

I admit I am awful at not turning things off :o And I boil the kettle a million times a day as I drink so much tea :o :rotfl: we mostly use lamps (with energy saving bulbs) - Mr Cheery is NOT a fan of ceiling lights... But we are guilty of leaving a couple on throughout the house rather than switching them on and off - not helped by this house being a ridiculous horseshoe shape...

anyway, could do better (as usual) but not going to beat myself up (too much). Instead going to go and have a shower (which isn't electric at least :rotfl: )

For the record, our electricity direct debit is £58 at the minute, and will rise to £75 in December :eek:

Gas is currently £84 but we're on LPG tied into a two year contract - they'll review it at the end of the first year when they see how much we've used but that's not til next August so I'm hoping we'll have built up a bit of credit...

anyway, bath. Or at least shower!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ouch, they are high DDs, but hopefully will fall once the radiator is in. Great news about sourcing one cheaper too.

Edwink's advice about the kettle combined with your comment about a lot of tea (that is *so* me too!), reminded me to get my thermos out and only boil once for two cuppas :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback