Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Cheery's country living adventure - Page 36

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.7K replies 196.6K views

Replies

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a late start today as well... one of the perils of working from home! I should have got out of bed earlier, as it was lovely outside until round about when I hung out the washing.

Hope your plumber behaves. My builder has gone awol (his phone suggests he is abroad) and the electrician (who I would like to connect the underfloor heating in the kitchen) hasn't replied to my email (so I've just left him a message).

I'll be so pleased when all of this is done...
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a complete nuisance isn't it? My general preference is for going on a course and learning how to do whatever-it-is myself - often quicker than finding and chasing a reliable tradesperson :rotfl: :rotfl: To be fair this pair aren't bad (and they're friends of friends) - the one who's here at the minute has been very tolerant of the chickens pecking his shoes and trying to get in his van :o :rotfl:
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the electrician! He's coming on Wednesday. Apparently he can't get hold of the builder either, so I'm going to have a chat to him about who else he can recommend for some of the outstanding work as i just want it done.

Sadly the things that need doing are beyond my skillset (and available time). I keep hoping that as things are done I'll have more time available as I'll be able to find stuff and not have to keep rearranging boxes all over the house!
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! I do sympathise with moving things all over the house - we're in a right old fuddle here at the minute as we've got three rooms out of action and we've had to move things so they can get at all the radiators. Aarrgghh!

Still, we must be thankful that we have houses to tinker with, and the dosh to pay people to tinker with them when we can't do it ourselves. And we must keep our minds on the bigger picture and think how wonderful it will be when it's all done! :j :j
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So true, Cheery - I've just been living that out on my brother's behalf, and it works :) plumber came out on Saturday morning at two hours notice, to get the washing machine plumbed in, all went really well.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear of your positive plumber experience KC! :j Ours is meant to be coming back tomorrow to balance the system - a 2 hour round trip he could have avoided by arriving before 11 each day he was here and being more effective with his time but hey ho.

Nowt much to report here. Been bringing lunch and snacks to work and avoiding the vending machine so I hope it shows on the scales at Sl1mming World at the weekend!

Been putting stuff in YNAB but not reconciled yet this month since payday so everything looks a bit all over the place. Must sort it out over the weekend and will report back

It"s getting to that time of year when I start thinking about plans for next year. I always take a fortnight off work and LOVE to spend quite a bit of it plotting and scheming :j At least I won:t have to include "MOVE HOUSE!!" on the list like I have done for the past three years :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wonder what I will have on there? The normal things around getting fit and eating healthily and being organised I suppose :rotfl:

I usually have a few specific categories (just waffling on while I wait for someone to turn up for an appointment)

HOME & GARDEN
    Want to finish the building work, get the new windows put in and have the kitchen all finished and beautiful and spare bedrooms/craft room/dressing room etc all set up and ready for guests and play :j

I've got a load of trees ordered for an edible windbreak and kind of forest garden so they'll need to go in, and I wabt to grow more food, expand the chicken enclosure, fix the dry stone walls as they fall down etc.

HEALTH & FITNESS
    Obviously I want to be back at my goal weight :o I've lost a stone but still have at least another one to go. Will have a think about whether I want to sign up for specific races or not too.

MONEY
    Need to get a hold of this and get back on track with savings. Been here a while now so can't use the "working out a new budget" excuse :o

WORK
    I've got a period of study leave early next year which I am SO excited about :j got great plans for that, but I'd also secretly like to apply for promotion next year too... We only get one chance a year (in the autumn) so I need to make sure I'm ready...

OTHER STUFF
    Hmm. Not doing any regular volunteering at the minute, which I miss but really don't have time for :o I've been going to little local history sessions so I might see about doing occasional things for them, setting up chairs etc. I joined a Smallholders group ad only ever went to one meeting :o but it's about 45 mins drive away on a Thursday evening - I might pick that up again when I'm not in the city every day. I'm enjoying the musical group I joined and that's only a couple of hours a fortnight so I'll definitely keep that on.

Hmm, lots to think about!

Anyway, i think I have to accept that my appointment is not going to happen... (They were coming to see me, not the other way round, so their loss). Time for lunch I reckon!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of trees have you ordered, Cheery? Your plans sound great, and how wonderful to have study leave. And you're sort of part of local history of the future now, aren't you? You're bringing your piece of land back to life, trees and chickens and hullabaloo :):):) I like it.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks KC :j Like the idea of becoming part of local history of the future :j Oddly enough I met someone last night who'd heard of us, and said "my great grandad died in your house" :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: He did live to be 100 though apparently! :rotfl:

Just done YNAB, not too bad, although there was about £20 cash that I hadn't kept track of. Possibly inevitable at this time of year especially when I'm just picking up the odd small present etc as and when I see it :o But I'd pretty much kept on top of entering things I'd paid for with the card as I'd gone along so better than nothing I suppose :j

Not much MSE to report. Chickens still laying 4 eggs most days :j Not sure that's money-saving mind you, as between food, bedding, treats etc it's probably cheaper just to buy eggs :rotfl: As pets go though at least they're productive :rotfl: We've given quite a few boxes away though which is a nice thing to be able to do.

Nipped over to see family on Wednesday for my mum's birthday, went out for lunch and had a party tea at my sister's. We'd already paid for her present earlier in the year so in terms of spendiness it was pretty good.

I've not been doing tooo bad at taking lunch and snacks to work, and have avoided the vending machine ALL WEEK :j :j (still maintained at Slimming World this week though which I felt was MOST unfair :o :rotfl: )

Not sure there's much else to report. I'm a bit grumpy this morning :o Just hormones I think :o Just want a nice peaceful day lounging around at home, but it's the only day I'm here in the daytime for a fortnight so I also feel like there are a million things I should get done. Sick of having a building site round me, sick of pushing past rails of clothes to get into bed, blah blah.

Still. In the spirit of Greying Pilgrim's things to be grateful for...

1. the sun is shining :j :j
    2. the chickens are out roaming round (I do need to clear out their house though and do something about the mudbath that is their pen :eek: )
    3. at least the living room is relatively clean and tidy :rotfl:

Busy week coming up. Over in the city every single day, and on Wednesday and Thursday I've agreed to do something in another city in the evening :eek: Not tooooo bad, but it's not exactly 'on the way home' either. Then on Friday we're having a little do ourselves, so we've got people coming round and staying over. So I'm going to have to put the tree up this weekend, and where on earth are they all going to sleep??

Urgh, can feel palpitations coming on just thinking about it :(
  • Greying_PilgrimGreying_Pilgrim Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then on Friday we're having a little do ourselves, so we've got people coming round and staying over. So I'm going to have to put the tree up this weekend, and where on earth are they all going to sleep??

Urgh, can feel palpitations coming on just thinking about it :(

Under the tree! It will be an awfully big adventure and tick everyone of their inner child's dream activities! :rotfl:

Just a thought.......... :D

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Greying :rotfl: I suspect you're going to have to be right :rotfl:

One couple can have the sofa bed in the study (lucky them!) Two couples can have two double futon mattresses in the 'music room' (which is at the minute more of a storage facility for musical equipment and guitars but they won't mind...)

Everyone else (and at this stage I'm not sure how many others there will be - at least one, but possibly only that one) will be in the living room with the Christmas tree - either on the sofa or some kind of makeshift bed on the floor.

Not ideal but we're lucky to have as much floor space as we do have :o and after all we're not running a luxury hotel :rotfl: Eventually we'll have two upstairs actual bedrooms with spare beds so will be able to accommodate more but for now, this will have to do...

I'm harbouring a secret fear that people will cancel anyway because we are forecast SNOW on Saturday :eek: Not til late afternoon, and it's meant to turn to rain pretty quickly, so hopefully people will either come on Friday anyway and leave before it snows, or stick around and stay over on Saturday too if necessary. We'll see.

Worst case scenario is that we end up eating a vast number of mince pies sitting by ourselves in our little paper hats :o :rotfl: