January | Penny Pincher Challenge

Options

Comments

• adventureofmemories
    Options
    Aw congrats! That sounds lovely.

I don't have any big thing to look forward to as such bit I'm looking forward to the 8th of jan as that is when I get paid from my new job (I'd get paid a week extra plus overtime - i may get some taken off though due to being sent home ill in work , i work with children aged 2-5 and i was sick in the room so they gave me 48 hours off)

And so I can plan more effectively and start the year a fresh.

I just want to start my life again with better habits.
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m a TA in a reception class, the bugs we pick up are awful aren’t they :(

I had an early form of breast cancer in the middle of last year and our income took a bashing and so we used credit cards. I know in some ways it’s foolish, but we needed a family holiday after everything, but we’ll be paying for it for a while! It wasn’t an extravagant holiday, we own a touring caravan and took it to France for 2 weeks!!! Xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • adventureofmemories
    Options
    Oh wow! A holiday is definitely needed after all that going on! Im so sorry to hear that but glad you're better. Must have been awful.

I'm forever picking up bugs. I'm so prone to colds that i have one each week...even in summer.

But I'm hoping i wont get as ill as my last job since i will have half days in work (i work 40 hrs a week, 10 hours for 4 days and 6 hours-ish on half days)

When i go back on tuesday , I'm doing a 11:30am-5:30pm shift.
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
  • keggsy
    keggsy Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today has been quite a good day for me.

Popped to the shops as I needed to buy a diary and calendar for next year, managed to get both half price...result. I need a family calendar as trying to remember everything for everyone is a mission.

I used cash and not my card....1 pt

I remembered my shopping bags so I didn’t buy any....1 pt

I managed to put a £2 coin into my sealed tin......1 pt

Finally I went through all the cupboards, fridge and freezer. I made a list of everything we have....1 pt

4 points today. I’m quite chuffed with that.

Hopefully the momentum will continue through Jan.

Xx
    Trying to make our money work for us and not the other way round!!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I feel your need of a family calendar keggsy. I have an organised mum family planner as it is the only way I can remember which kid is supposed to be where on which day. I had one last year and was incredibly organised so I treated myself to another one for 2018.

So today I have
    - checked banks - 1pt
    - updated ynab - 1pt

That was all for today. But I got my new card for my new current account today but I can't use it yet as no pin number. I am also hoping for a sale of furniture tomorrow.
  • adventureofmemories
    Options
    Awesome jobs guys!

I received undated diary pages for my planner as a christmas present (i asked for it since i only like ones from paperchase) and i printed out a week plan and put it into a polly pocket. I stuck it to the front of our kitchen door so we see it each day. Not much on there this week but I'm sure it'll be filled soon!

Just hoping the money gets put into my account fir Bill's after an error with natwest.
  • Can I join please? Love the idea of this challenge :).

My 15 things:
    1. Check bank accounts
    2. Check prolific academic 3x a day.
    3. Check other survey sites and do searches.
    4. Save 10/29/50c coins.
    5. Grocery challenge
    6. Take a bag for life shopping.
    7. Write a shopping list.
    8. Meal plan.
    9. Turn lights off when no one is in a room.
    10. Aim for at least 2 NSD a week.
    11. Compare prices before buying anything.
    12. Don't use credit card.
    13. Use slow cooker every week.
    14. Keep spending diary.
    15. Walk 5000 a day ( well, if I'm walking I'm not spending ;) )

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the rest of 2017!
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Loving some of the ideas people are coming up with for their lists, I could probably write a list with 25 things on now! Need to stick with what I have got for now but have lots of ideas if I want to change anything next month.

I'm not starting until the first but have been preparing. I have set up new bank account ready to transfer money when I round down when checking account.
  • scrooge2008
    Options
    I have prepared my excel spreadsheet for sticking in the front of my new A4 diary :).

Tasks 1-15 listed in first 15 rows with days 1-10 in the first ten columns - for ticking, when achieved, and then a total box.

Repeated below for days 11 - 20, and then below that for days 21 - 31.

It fits nicely on a page...... Starting my challenge officially January 1st getting the prep work in now. Thank you for the encouragement.
    I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I have prepared my excel spreadsheet for sticking in the front of my new A4 diary :).

Tasks 1-15 listed in first 15 rows with days 1-10 in the first ten columns - for ticking, when achieved, and then a total box.

Repeated below for days 11 - 20, and then below that for days 21 - 31.

It fits nicely on a page...... Starting my challenge officially January 1st getting the prep work in now. Thank you for the encouragement.

Oooh I do like that idea. I might need to steal it and put it in my diary. Unfortunately mine is only an A5 one but I am sure I could make it fit. Thank you for the fantastic idea and I do love a spreadsheet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure