UK bank with Pin Change from an App?

Options

Comments

• RyanK69
    RyanK69 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    It suits us very well because we too are behind the times.
    PS is it still 1950 in New Zeeland - it was when I was there.
    If NZ is in the 1950s, then the UK is in the 1850s!!! A lot of people believe that NZ is behind the UK and Europe, because they're not overpopulated and the people aren't miserable but instead kind and genuinely try and help and make the lives of others around them more pleasant, something that I've found Brits and Europeans don't really care about and this seems theory is simply being reinforced by some of the responses to my original question. As a Brit myself, this makes me very sad, it's one of the reasons I try and spend as little time in the UK as possible.

However despite this, it seems that New Zealand are far ahead of us in terms of banking technology, as I believe this kind of card servicing is standard in NZ,
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    The most probable reason for this is that you have changed the PIN so many times that you had forgotten what you changed it to.
    Just out of interest, does this app of yours allow the PIN to be changed without entering the current PIN? If yes, and it worked, then the problem in the petrol station was something other than what you thought it was. If no, pretty slack security. An ATM always requires current PIN to be entered first.
    Why do you find it necessary to change your PIN so often?

You do realise that assumptions make an äss out of u and i?
    I hadn't once changed my pin, which could have been inferred from the fact that I said my pin had worked previously and the fact it had 'mysteriously changed'. In fact I haven't changed my pin in around a year, and on top of that as I've worked in I.T for over a decade and keep a encrypted password safe protected by a regularly changing password and a hashchecked keyfile so even if I had changed or forgot it, I would have an up to date version of my in that file.

Why do you assume that problems are people's own fault, when you have zero evidence to suggest or support it? I would hate to be your partner, I bet they're 'cheating on you' every time they're stuck in traffic and are late from work.

Just wondering, so far we're at an almost 50 percent ratio of helpful responses to people with delusions of adequacy who seem insistent on being difficult and condescending towards a new member who is simply trying to find out some information. Is this usual for this forum?

This was my first post, and quite frankly if the ratio of @ssholes is as high as it is in this post, not only can I not trust the information, but it's unlikely that I'll use this forum again. As by the very nature of a forum is that the more people who are inputting information, the more helpful to everyone it becomes, I'm quite surprised that there are so many people being such rude plebs to new users who pose simple questions.

I simply asked for advice, not the opinions, assumptions and beliefs of self important, holier than thou @sshats.

Thanks to everyone who has offered genuine comments, opinions and advice. To everyone else, your lives must be so small and petty you feel the need to try and belittle new users to forums who ask genuine questions. I feel sorry for you, but if this is all you have in life, and is your way of feeling important, I won't take it from you, as clearly you have nothing else.
  • RyanK69
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Have you considered a back up account(s)?
    It may prevent the frustration being in a garage with no access to funds.

Well I had my cards from my other accounts, like my NZ account, but the trouble was that I didn't have quite as much in it as I'd hoped, and despite the fact that everything is electronic, it takes several days to transfer funds around between them. In terms of the backup account, that's kind why I was asking my original question! :) I would probably keep my existing account as a backup, and have the new one that actually allows the maintenance I was suggesting as my main account. Trouble is that I travel all over the world, and it's a pain in the backside to keep opening different accounts for each country! So far I'm up to about 3 or 4 different accounts based in different countries and I'd prefer to keep one or two accounts that I can use in all of the countries, and allows me to change things from an app when things inevitably go wrong! I'm not missing any cash from my account, but I definitely hadn't changed my pin, so not sure what happened, but just trying to ensure I have no chance of being caught out in the future, as I almost was last time!!
  • RyanK69
    Options
    OP, you started the thread with snark which is naturally gonna get snark like responses.

You asked a question which seems a bit odd. As far as I am aware, but I am willing to be corrected, the PIN is localised to the chip on the card and has no association with app based banking. If you changed the card PIN remotely as you say, how would that information reach the card?

With regard to VISA and Mastercard. Visa debit/ Visa credit is the mostly widely accepted card payment type followed globaly, followed closely by Maestro/Mastercard debit/ Mastercard credit. Obviously this is not applicable to every country where New Zealand and China being two that come to mind.

In terms of what you were asking for, that sort of bespoke card security features that you describe; Barclays, Starling, Monzo and Revolut all come to mind. Barclays being Visa, Revolut also Visa (in the UK) and the other two Mastercard debit.

So my question regarding whether UK banking systems are technologically inept (which they seem to be) was snark? I didn't realise pointing out facts (the fact is that NZ with a much smaller market can manage this without issue) about UK banking systems would personally insult so many people!

I'll be honest, I don't know exaclty how the technology works, perhaps it is localised, but in New Zealand I can change the pin on my card from my app, or lock my card, or change the transaction limit, and it applies with an almost immediate effect. However, I will definitely be researching how it works now, as I'm curious and your question about it being local (which I didn't realise it was) has now piqued my interest!

However, back to the topic at hand, you're one of the few people in thread in this thread so far to actually make some suggestions that give me something to investigate, so thanks! I had checked out (and even phoned) a few banks and building societies to try and find an answer to my question but hadn't had any luck, which is why I posted on here. I was with Barclays probably about 15 years ago, and I used to call them "The bank that likes to say no" so I hadn't even thought of checking them out, and before this thread I hadn't even heard of Revolut and you're the second person to mention them, so I will definintely check them out! This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to receive when I started this thread, so thanks!

Potentials and suggestions as to who to use are perfect, and if I was being snarky, I certainly didn't feel like I was being snarky enough to receive some of the BS responses I did! Not like I insulted anyone directly, I simply suggested that our banking companies are technologically inept, which for the most part, I still stand by!! :D
  • RyanK69
    Options
    Oh and in terms of the new pin reaching the card, I don't believe it does. I'm pretty sure the card reader contacts the bank when the pin and amount is entered, which is why it can take some places with older internet and less robust connections a bit longer to process the payment.... Which now I think about it, probably means that the pin itself isn't held locally, but perhaps the identification of the account it's tied to is.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 24 April 2018 at 11:17PM
    Options
    Getting back on topic...

A very quick Google shows that you can indeed remotely change your PIN, e.g.: https://help.anz.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/113/~/set%2Fchange-pin---anz-internet-banking

That shows instructions on changing a PIN via internet banking.

Therefore it's likely the card is an online card... That means several features in our cards simply won't work! The PIN is held on the card normally. If a system allows for changing the PIN online, it means the card must contact the bank before each transaction to confirm the PIN. That means you cannot use the card in any offline situations, e.g. for an in-flight purchase, that most UK cards (offline ones) would work fine in.

While NZ might be ahead of us in some areas of "banking tech" the OP must remember than the UK is still easily in the the top 10% when it comes to banking tech; it's just that changing a card PIN via online/app banking is not possible. However, this means you can use the card when the merchant has no access to process the transaction immediately.

Also, I rarely shop above £30 so entering a PIN is very rare as it is... I entered a PIN in the USA a couple of weeks ago, which was my first in a while. That's interesting because Chip & PIN is brand new to them and they were amazed I didn't have to sign anything! (I also cannot forget using contactless in Subway, seeing the assistants face really puzzled and having to explain it's because it's the same tech as Apple Pay...)
  • RyanK69
    Options
    Getting back on topic...

A very quick Google shows that you can indeed remotely change your PIN, e.g.: (link removed)

That shows instructions on changing a PIN via internet banking.

Therefore it's likely the card is an online card... That means several features in our cards simply won't work! The PIN is held on the card normally. If a system allows for changing the PIN online, it means the card must contact the bank before each transaction to confirm the PIN. That means you cannot use the card in any offline situations, e.g. for an in-flight purchase, that most UK cards (offline ones) would work fine in.

While NZ might be ahead of us in some areas of "banking tech" the OP must remember than the UK is still easily in the the top 10% when it comes to banking tech; it's just that changing a card PIN via online/app banking is not possible. However, this means you can use the card when the merchant has no access to process the transaction immediately.

Also, I rarely shop above £30 so entering a PIN is very rare as it is... I entered a PIN in the USA a couple of weeks ago, which was my first in a while. That's interesting because Chip & PIN is brand new to them and they were amazed I didn't have to sign anything! (I also cannot forget using contactless in Subway, seeing the assistants face really puzzled and having to explain it's because it's the same tech as Apple Pay...)

Haha, nice! I didn't know that about the US, as that's one of the few places I don't really travel to (and in fact have never been to the US, although I did go to Canada once and had loads of trouble convincing first direct to allow my card to work there without their fraud protection team getting involved).

Interesting what you're saying about the systems though. I'm with ASB and at no point did they say anything about it being an online card. They're one of the big providers in NZ and I just have a normal current account with them. I'm also pretty sure I've used that card on a plane, although I can't be 100%. I'll know in a couple of months when I'm heading back that way. I've had the card a couple of years and as far as I've been able to tell in that time it's a normal visa debit card like my UK one. The only time I've ever had a payment not work was because of my own user error when I had the transaction limit too low or had disabled card transactions from the app.

Good info though, thanks for the input!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RyanK69 wrote: »
    Well I had my cards from my other accounts, like my NZ account, but the trouble was that I didn't have quite as much in it as I'd hoped, and despite the fact that everything is electronic, it takes several days to transfer funds around between them. In terms of the backup account, that's kind why I was asking my original question! :)

This link below has lots of information about travel cards including Credit Cards - it buys you time if you can't move money immediately as you have until the due date after the statement is produced. ;)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards

You can also use this as a guideline to see which one gives you the best chance of being accepted (although it isn't guaranteed)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While it's a long time (over 25 years) since I worked on card and PIN systems in NZ, at that time it was way ahead of anything that was available in the UK, and offered functionality that is still not available here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that technological lead still exists.
  • RyanK69
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    This link below has lots of information about travel cards including Credit Cards - it buys you time if you can't move money immediately as you have until the due date after the statement is produced. ;)

You can also use this as a guideline to see which one gives you the best chance of being accepted (although it isn't guaranteed)
    I'll have look into it, thanks for the info. I don't really like using credit cards, but I shall take a look. I honestly had hoped there would be an English bank that offered the features I wanted, but I guess not! I will have a look at that link though, it may be worth trying to obtain one just for emergencies.
    agrinnall wrote: »
    While it's a long time (over 25 years) since I worked on card and PIN systems in NZ, at that time it was way ahead of anything that was available in the UK, and offered functionality that is still not available here. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that technological lead still exists.
    It's funny, how everyone assumes New Zealand is technologically backwards, or like the UK 50 years ago, but it seems they're miles ahead of us in some areas, such as this, but miles more behind us in other ways, such as their housing insulation regulations and the fact that all their double glazing is still aluminum! I do love it there though, less populated, their government seems far less corrupt than ours, and due to the general population not being so densely packed, the people on the whole are far more pleasant and nice, particularly to strangers, which nobody has time for in the UK! I go there for about 5 months a year, and every year I dislike leaving, and every time I come back to the UK it seems significantly worse! Hell, I can't even get a doctor's appointment in my home city anymore! Might be time I looked into staying in NZ!

Thanks for the input of everyone who has tried to provide information to answer my original questions!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is generally known here in Europe that cards don't work very well in french filling stations.

It's usually online cards that don't work very well.
    The offline versions work fine.

Online pin changes went the way of the dodo with Chip and Pin.
    It's view only now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport