PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi fellow GC'ers,
    Hope you are all having a good day.
    Mandy_moo, I cannot sleep well these days either and am constantly tired- its like a catch22 trying to get on top of it, I hope you manage to feel a bit more inspired soon. If it helps your posts often make me smile, esp when you mention the doggies- is one pregnant yet ?
    ok, am doing creamy chicken with leek and bacon for tea tomorrow- anyone got any tips to make the sauce super scrummy ?
    Having it with asparagus (that I got for 50p in coop).
    Today has been an NSD although not added to sig yet.
    Hoping for a MSW this week, we will need milk at some point, maybe cheap honey, nothing else I can think of.
    Off to make some Jamie Oliver hm bread now :p .
    Also, excited :eek: two tom plants have baby toms on and my courgette plant has little courgettes-they will do me once I use up the 3 I got from Tesco last week. Need to have something with courgette on Tue me thinks! Also had 1 strawb and two are left on nice and red under the net mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I love thinking of ways to use up my food now, and hate to ditch anything much. :D
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Just got back from Mr M's and spent £85:eek: . I only intended to spend £50. I don't seem to have bought all that much extra to my usual shop. I told DH that was it, no more food shopping. He wanted to know where all the money has gone, well, I try and put £50 away each month for Christmas which leaves me with £150 for the month for food etc. He was not very impressed.

A bit narked with him at the moment. I'm trying desparately not to waste food. Last night he decided to cook some rice to go with a left over curry. He cooked enough for 3 people, left enough for 2 people and then left it out in the sun and I had to through it away:mad: , and he wonders why my food bills are so high:mad: .
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    hey folks

well ended up in MrT when i went to pick up OH, my mum needed some milk so i got a couple of things (SC baking goodies, P flour, squash for OH, bombay mix for OH, lemon curd, gales is still only 22p and value is 35p , marmite and some beer for OH (can you see a theme here!;) ) )

will update my sig when i fing the reciept but i think it was about 11-12 quid after taking off mum's milk money.

DEN - yes i love Bones and Mr Boreanz is oh so fine :D:D

today i'm making butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot soup.
    chop onion, add oil to pan, add onion, tumeric and cumin (tsp of each or so) add the carrot and sweet potato, stir it round, add chicken stock, add the pre roasted BNS (easier to peel then) and leave to melt down, serve blended with hm bread :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    What are the muffins like SFT? I bet they're yummy!

Glad you're feeling better Mandy Moo :j

Ooh I love BNS soup IOIWE I'm gonna be living on soup next week I think as I've got to have a tooth out on tuesday :( Oh well - at least it will help my diet :rolleyes:

We just had savoury lamb, new potatoes and peas for dinner - cost per portion 40p :)

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Angelnikki-Your dinner sounds delicious and so low cost!!!

The muffins were a great success and we've got quite alot of raspberries from the garden to use up. Did I read sometime that the muffins go stale quite quickly so its best to freeze them???

I remember eating a delicious bowl of butternut squash soup in Zambia...oh such memories... I'm sure that I'm a little down because my work/life balance is really poor at mo...I'm in need of a SFT adventure..

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    SFT thats great that they turned out well :T You can freeze them, I normally defrost them in the microwave for a freshly baked taste :D or just let them defrost for a couple of hours and then shove them in the oven to warm :)

Have you thought about doing one of those working holidays somewhere maybe over the summer? I think you only need to pay for flights or something?

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    36_3_11.gif

Thanks Denise and Angelnikki I have done it again but I dont know how again will have to kep practising

I have my BM on as I dont think I can get on with that boule so I will stick with the BM
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Had an NSD yesterday and only spent £2 so far today bt OH is going to go to Domino's later for a pizza treat cos I start my new job tomorrow:j :j

Got myself is such a tiz last week handing over the job but if I've forgotten anything it's too late now:rotfl:

So tomorrow I will be off for the bus at 8am for the first time ever - have w**ked close to home for the las 17 years so it will be a new experience:eek:

I will have to walk through the city centre to get to the bus station on the way home every night so that is going to be a trial - not to mention the Tesco Extra next door to the bus stop;)

I have a meal plan for the week but I am not organised enough really - too scared to think straight - but I'm hoping that once I get started I will get into a routine.

I keep telling myself that not many girls on the wrong side of 50 get the chance at a new career like this so I intend to grab it with both hands:rotfl:

I may treat myself to coffee on the way to the bus though as DD2 has been working in the coffee shop at the station for the last 2 weeks so I'll have to support her:D well now and again anyway.

We have been harvesting loads of raspberries these last 2 weeks so we've been munching away but we can't keep up so there are also loads in the freezer for later. Today I have used some for a couple of small pots of jam which taste amazing - so much better than shop stuff.

Anyway enough of my ramblings - I think I'll go and have a nice shower and find some decent clothes to wear tomorrow.
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Thanks Angelnikki...
    We don't have a microwave but would a blast in the oven do?
    Thanks for your suggestion. I 'll look into that.
    SFTX
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Diane_239
    Diane_239 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    hi all three Nsd but back at work today and bought load of whoopsies manly bath stuff,plus cans of pop for kids don't normally buy but has they was 50p for 8 just had to have them.
    does anyone have any recipes to use up porridge oats? please
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills