To have an overdraft or not?

Options
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice please.

I'm in the process of paying my debts off and sorting my credit file out.

My question is this; I have an overdraft of £250, however from a credit report point of view, would it look better to cancel this, or to keep it and not use it?

I was wondering if by keeping it, but not using it would reflect better on my credit report? Thinking this would show good money management.

Many thanks

Comments

• Grzegorz_Kowalski
    Options
    I think the best is to have it, but not to use it. There is something magical with "utilisation": For lenders, you look much better with 5k debt and 50k limits, than with maxed CC with 300 limit.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    Showing you don't need to use an available overdraft is a sign you are good with your money. Keep it.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While paying down your debt, keep it but don't use it for the utilisation.

Once DF you can get rid of it if you want but at such a small amount it probably won't make a difference either way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To add 250 o/d limit is quite sensible.
    It's nice safety net even to avoid unexpected charges.
    I agree with others, rather than cancel-try avoid using it as much as possible and don't worry if you do use it sometimes for financial emergencies.
    E.g. I wasn't using my 250 overdraft recently until I had to pay 275 for car bodywork repair last week.
    Though cause I budget as much as possible, I'll clear overdraft over next few weeks.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • donlste
    donlste Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice! I’ll keep it there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure