Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 30Thanks
    homeless9
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house 4th Oct 18 at 4:14 PM
    Hi Everyone....

Prices in the South East, specifically within a 20 mile radius of Guildford, are too damn expensive. I have almost given up buying here. I can afford to buy a property up to the value of 220,000. Around here that basically buys you a 1 bedroom flat and not much more, which might be alright for some, but these apartments just don't cut it for me. I am single and have no ex-wife or kids - I can move anywhere in the UK. I would love to own a house with a garden. I have browsed online and come across nice new 2 and 3 bedroom homes under my budget, these properties are amazingly cheap to me in comparison to what you can get for your money around where I live - the problem is - I have no idea what the locations are like.....

If you guys and ladies have visited, lived in, or live in, a safe location that isn't in the middle of nowhere, in which 1 or 2 or even 3 bedroom homes can by purchased for under 220,000 - please let me know.....any locations within the UK are welcome....

Criteria:

- A safe location, somewhere without anti-social behaviour, somewhere where you can walk down the street and feel completely safe and at ease.

- A location that has typical UK town amenities such as a Gym, a local Supermarket, Parks, shops, railway stations..... I don't mind living in a City, I don't mind living in a medium-large sized town, but living in a village with no shops, gyms, railways, is not for me. I am 30 years old.

I am self employed and work from home. Location does not affect my work. The only thing I need is an internet connection and a nearby Post Office.
    Last edited by homeless9; 04-10-2018 at 8:34 PM.
Page 5
    • datlex
    • By datlex 14th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    datlex
    I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying Middlesbrough. The place is chav central. It's the worst place I ever lived. Rife with anti-social behaviour. I realise you may choose a completely different area to the one I lived in, but the chavs still go to the town centre.
    Originally posted by corell
    Actually there are some nice areas and some bad areas in Middlesbrough- parts of Linthorpe, Nunthorpe, Acklam, Hemlington, Marton are private houses and nice.

Yes....

Please no Chav Towns.....
    Originally posted by homeless9
    Chavs in all towns.......
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 14th Oct 18, 2:48 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Look outside the thing of wanting new builds too. I know a few that have bought them and they have had no end of problems. Shop around a bit. You can get good value for money if your out the towns too
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    True.

I do have a thing for new build homes. That new, clean, unused, neat look. Can just move in and not worry about having to change anything, but maybe paint or wallpaper a few walls.

To me - the look of the house, how it is presented is important to me. A lot of older builds look awful....

But I understand they are cheaper, and if you can find one that looks nice and has a modern kitchen and bathroom - then that's a bonus.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 14th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Chavs in all towns.......
    Originally posted by datlex
    Maybe, but I said no chav towns, I didn't say I want to live in a town with zero chavs.

If it's like living in the TV series 'Shameless'....... then keep me away.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 15th Oct 18, 6:12 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Anyone know what Plymouth is like ? I noticed it's pretty cheap for property.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 28,405 Posts
    • 100,113 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Anyone know what Plymouth is like ? I noticed it's pretty cheap for property.
    Like all reasonably sized cities, it has good and rough areas, but with rather more of the rough than the other city in Devon, Exeter. The dockland/naval services areas are probably best avoided.

Being about an hour further from most other places than Exeter, it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

Nice countryside all around and (I'll say it quietly) Cornish coves and beaches aren't far either!

Edit: Dampish but warmer than 'Oop norf ' in the winter.

Last edited by Davesnave; 15-10-2018 at 8:33 PM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 16th Oct 18, 9:25 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Like all reasonably sized cities, it has good and rough areas, but with rather more of the rough than the other city in Devon, Exeter. The dockland/naval services areas are probably best avoided.

Being about an hour further from most other places than Exeter, it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.

Nice countryside all around and (I'll say it quietly) Cornish coves and beaches aren't far either!

Originally posted by Davesnave
    Cheers, I will look at Exeter...

In Plymouth they are building the 'next Poundbury', called Sherford. I love these developments. I love the fact that some people care about how homes, villages, towns, look.

Some beautiful and affordable homes being built there. The problem is that it's going to take another 18 years to complete it. 5,500 homes in total.
    • Angry_kittens
    • By Angry_kittens 16th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Angry_kittens
    I live in a village near to a town called Northwich in Cheshire which has pretty much everything you listed, including the house prices.

45~ minutes from Liverpool & Manchester

There is a new build development called Winnington Village, it's been going for a few years now and houses still going up. Might be worth checking out.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th Oct 18, 10:13 AM
    • 9,577 Posts
    • 11,556 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    it's the slightly poor relation in a similar way that Swansea is to Cardiff.
    That's being very kind to Swansea.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th Oct 18, 10:42 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Maybe, but I said no chav towns, I didn't say I want to live in a town with zero chavs.

If it's like living in the TV series 'Shameless'....... then keep me away.
    Just about town of any size in the UK is perfectly liveable, with both good and bad areas.

Middlesbrough is no different.

Middlesbrough: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75448694.html

Also Middlesbrough: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56803272.html

Also Middlesbrough, top of your budget, meets your criteria (safe etc): https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76256096.html
    Last edited by quantumlobster; 16-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Kent?

https://www.property118.com/stopped-letting-properties-fergus-wilson/
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 11,788 Posts
    • 15,810 Thanks
    hazyjo
    277 properties to rent in Maidstone on RM alone. 71 of those are under 700pcm.

Must say, he seems like a charming bloke... Not sure I'd be quoting him, but hey ho.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/seven-most-cringeworthy-things-kent-748227

Maybe they can't afford the rent because of his price increases...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/fergus-wilson-rent-rise-property-kent-Maidstone

OP by all means consider Kent, but the nice bits are pricey. Cheap Kent is generally cheap for a reason.
    Last edited by hazyjo; 16-10-2018 at 4:16 PM. Reason: added RM line and deleted spaces
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + 30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Oct 18, 5:32 PM
    • 28,405 Posts
    • 100,113 Thanks
    Davesnave
    In Plymouth they are building the 'next Poundbury', called Sherford. I love these developments. I love the fact that some people care about how homes, villages, towns, look.
    Yes, some good overall planning and careful integration into the existing infrastructure is all good and I'm in favour.

Unfortunately, my wife & I aren't great fans of Poundbury's architecture. We've always referred to it as 'Trumpton!'
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    277 properties to rent in Maidstone on RM alone. 71 of those are under 700pcm.

Must say, he seems like a charming bloke... Not sure I'd be quoting him, but hey ho.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/seven-most-cringeworthy-things-kent-748227

Maybe they can't afford the rent because of his price increases...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/fergus-wilson-rent-rise-property-kent-Maidstone

OP by all means consider Kent, but the nice bits are pricey. Cheap Kent is generally cheap for a reason.
    Originally posted by hazyjo

My point was that there are going to be a lot of ex-BTL`s hitting the market (not all in poor areas) because the tax changes and people going home are going to affect this particular business. This will be happening all over the country not just Kent, but areas like Kent are probably pretty densely occupied by transient people who could move at the drop of a hat (like the plumber in the link. Loved the bit about the resignation phone call from the ferry en-route to another job )
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 18, 7:59 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/oct/15/salisbury-house-prices-fall-by-nearly-10-after-novichok-attack

Surprised it`s only 10%.
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 16th Oct 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74318711

This is a gorgeous house within budget. Area is ok. Not terrible but not great. Could get a nicer area in the NW but would be a smaller 2/3bed semi. Personally I can't stand new builds. But each to their own.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th Oct 18, 11:33 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 8,792 Thanks
    Murphybear

I agree completely with this post. I'm not a great fan of Plymouth, there are some rundown areas. It's close to Dartmoor which is lovely and they hold the World Fireworks Championships in August. We only went once and it rained like you wouldn't believe
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th Oct 18, 11:44 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 8,792 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Yes, some good overall planning and careful integration into the existing infrastructure is all good and I'm in favour.

Unfortunately, my wife & I aren't great fans of Poundbury's architecture. We've always referred to it as 'Trumpton!'
    I find Poundbury a bit surreal. I think it's the sort of place you would love or hate. It does have a small Waitrose in the centre and it can be expensive.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Oct 18, 8:57 AM
    • 11,788 Posts
    • 15,810 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/74318711
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn
    52 photos!!!! Jeez, talk about 'a tad too many'! EA thinks he's bleedin' David Bailey
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + 30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel...
    • mai_taylor
    • By mai_taylor 17th Oct 18, 10:33 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    mai_taylor
    Droitwich is a really nice pretty town with quite a bit going on, it has a few shops, plenty of places to eat and drink and a couple of gyms. There's quite a few events throughout the year. It's 10 minutes drive into Worcester and has a train station with a 20 minute direct train to Birmingham. You can get a three bed detached in your budget but it would probably need a bit of work or you could easily get a nice 2 bed. I'm 33 and love living in Worcestershire.
    Last edited by mai_taylor; 17-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 17th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9

Each to their own. I don't know how anyone can not like Poundbury and its architecture, especially in comparison to the average UK town, Poundbury is much more beautiful.

For a newly built town it's probably as good as you are going to get. I'm not sure what styles of housing you could build that would be that much better, without going over the top on spending, and that would be in-keeping with looking British. The typical average UK homes that I see getting built are pretty drab. The typical UK town is drab, and any good architecture will often have had several concrete atrocities built nearby.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

7,890Users online

Martin's Twitter