PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EmberJ, you can make your own clothes? I am in awe!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • EmberJ
    EmberJ Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I can yes, I use my own drafted patterns too. I'm completely self taught, I just experimented with old bedding. It took some trial and error though! And lots of googling
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2016 at 11:28PM
    Options
    EmberJ wrote: »

On another note, and to end my long post again, has anyone experience on using pans on top of a wood stove for stews or soups? Does it work? Any tips? I'd love to give it a try to use the stove for two purposes rather than turning the hob on, until I get my slowcooker out of my mums loft.

Thank you all ladies, you all helped me feel much calmer and more like I'm prepared in thoughts and plans at least.
    Em xx

To right use it, my kettles never off mine during the winter I cook casseroles,soups and stews on mine anything you can cook in a slow cooker you can cook on a woodstove, I always bring to a boil it up on the stove first then let it simmer away on the burner dependent on how hot your stove gets you may need a trivet to reduce the heat a bit. I only use a cast iron dutch oven and kettle on mine so cant comment on saucepans.
  • EmberJ
    EmberJ Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    We only have a small stove so I doubt a big pot would fit. Always wanted a dutch oven though so may just invest in one. Thanks for the advice. We've already got on of the stove top whistling kettles, that'll be OK won't it?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    It will be fine, keep an eye on the charity shops, cast iron pots are often in ours I think as they are heavy lot's of people especially older people often share the love and pass them on :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Click on this link and then scroll down to Mehamn, and then click live view. I'm stting here crying watching it lol!
    http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    Very quiet in here lately, just wanted to say A very Merry Prepped Winter Christmas to you all...:T
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • southantrim3
    Options
    I thought it was quiet in here too - Happy Christmas all :)
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They must all be very involved in the 'Preparing for Christmas' bit. It's very stormy and pitch dark here in the North East at the moment. Storm Barbara is certainly making her presence felt!This is when you are really glad that you have a good stock of the essentials in the cupboards and don't have to go out if you don't want to! Thanks for the good wishes both of you and wishing you all the best Christmas and New Year.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Weather was hellish today up here, seems to be calmer now. I'm in and staying in until midweek, then one trip round the family and back in until after the Year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback