Eating in Edinburgh

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Ive been to the Kitchin a few times and it is really fab.
    You will have to book a wee while in advance esp for evenings.
    If you do go~enjoy!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for child friendly restaurants in Edinburgh. Checked Frankensteins, and wondered if anyone knew of any place else they could recommend for the second day we are there. It's my eldest son's birthday and he's really looking forward to the trip. My boys will try anything, indian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, pizza.

Staying in the centre near Waverley Station, so anywhere within reasonable walking distance would be great.

Also, to get to Marcos on Morningside Road, would I be best to get the 23 bus from the Centre or does anyone have any suggestions as to best get there.

Time is of the essence as we only have a short stay, so want to make the most of our time. Going to do Camera Obscura on the first day, also wanted to pay a visit to the Italian Deli place near St Andrews Square. Has anyone got any other suggestions. The Museum of Scotland is free and planning a trip there, anything else. Thanks all for any information you can provide. Cheers. :-)
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • SirMimic
    Options
    Smiley_Mum wrote: »
    Also, to get to Marcos on Morningside Road, would I be best to get the 23 bus from the Centre or does anyone have any suggestions as to best get there.

Marcos Leisure Centre? Thats not on Morningside Road excactly, its on Grove Street. Ive added a map below, click Here or use link below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=edinburgh+waverley&daddr=EH3+8AB&sll=55.95881,-3.187752&sspn=0.092442,0.233459&ie=UTF8&ll=55.948118,-3.202257&spn=0.011559,0.029182&z=15&om=1

If you look to the main road east, its called A702 (Lothian Road/ Home St/ Leven St Bruntfield Place/ Morningside Road - depending where you are). The number 23, stops on this road at the triangle cross roads (Earl Grey Street). Marcos is a short walk from there. btw, the number 23 takes a different route than that shown on the map. Double check the 23's route on the Lothian Buses website before your journey.

Hope that helps. Also, from my experience, any other bus other than 23 would not be worth it, because the short walk to the bus stop would be a significant portion of the journey to marcos.

AP
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I messed up. I meant Lucas the ice cream place on Morningside Road, not Marcos. Where did I get Marcos from. :confused: Must be old age...:o

Mind you, perhaps after a trip to Lucas, I will need a trip to Marcos. ;-)

Thanks for any info, sorry for the mistake. Cheers all.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Smiley-Mum,

Some suggestions from personal experience & the net:

Umbertos and Topolinos, 2 Bonnington Road Lane EH7. Tel: 0131 554 1314. Award-winning child friendly restaurant. Excellent Italian food with a superb children’s menu.

Bella, 9 Hanover Street. Tel 0131 225 4808. Handy Italian for pasta and pizza with good children’s menu which includes unlimited drink refills and ice cream for £3.95

Brown’s Restaurant and bar, 131-133 George Street, EH2. Tel: 0131 225 4442. Kids get crayons and paper to muck about with while their food comes, Excellent service plus baby changing facilities.

Vittoria's, (Leith Walk), 113 Brunswick Street, EH7

Fun and friendly Italian food!

Howie's
    3 venues: a) 29 Waterloo Place, EH1
    b) 10-14 Victoria Street, EH1
    c) 208 Bruntsfield Place, EH10
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • Angua2
    Options
    Time is of the essence as we only have a short stay, so want to make the most of our time. Going to do Camera Obscura on the first day, also wanted to pay a visit to the Italian Deli place near St Andrews Square. Has anyone got any other suggestions. The Museum of Scotland is free and planning a trip there, anything else. Thanks all for any information you can provide. Cheers. :-)

Do you mean Valvona & Crolla's? (Elm Row, off Leith Walk)

Forgot to add that for Mexican food, peeps recommend:
    Mariachi, on Victoria Street
    Viva Mexico, on Cockburn Street
    Memberships:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for child friendly restaurants in Edinburgh. Checked Frankensteins, and wondered if anyone knew of any place else they could recommend for the second day we are there. It's my eldest son's birthday and he's really looking forward to the trip. My boys will try anything, indian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, pizza.

For Frankensteins you need to eat before 8.00 with kids, got knocked back there before now.

Staying in the centre near Waverley Station, so anywhere within reasonable walking distance would be great.

Can't beat Jimmy Chungs for chinese buffet right beside Waverley Station http://www.jimmychungs.com/locate/loc_edin_waverley.htm although the one near the Usher Hall is slightly cheaper. Also down at Greenside you'll find the Omni Centre with cinema and restaurants, great mexican one there for tapas.

http://www.omniedinburgh.co.uk/

They will enjoy a Ghost tour, check out the Witchery Tour, taken many people on this and all ages will enjoy.

http://www.witcherytours.com/
  • GlasgowGal
    Options
    Hi
    Hubby and I are in Edinburgh weekend after next to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Just wondered if anyone could recommend any nice places to eat around that area or within a 10 min walk. We would be looking for British fare ie steak, lamb, chicken, fish. Also Italian would be great too. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
    :)
  • Angua2
    Options
    Memberships:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I can certainly recommend Maxies Bistro mentioned here...

http://www.grassmarket.net/content/fooddrink.php

for friendly service and good food.

I think I have also heard good reports about the Mussel and Steak Bar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure