Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Fantastic news on the mot and that you can see the end of the eBay pile!

All the investment talk has also been really interesting, something I will need to look at soon too.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Eating - the learning i've done from the reading people have guided me towards has been huge. Quite enlightening, and really does help with future planning. After 3 years of mortgage focus to get it to a manageable level should job issue arise, i've decided to pay a touch more attention to those years that i'd like to be retired/semi retired in and so delaying draw down of our pensions. So i have a tentative plan in place which will properly start in March when we remortgage, and i'm debating extending the MFW plan by 1-2 years in order to boost the investments pot - only debating at this stage! I am investing from now until March but only with £2k that we already have and then adding to it with £30 a month (in March that will increase to at least £100 and possibly £200), in order to learn/observe and gain some comfort in understanding the process.

And onto today... I am supposed to be doing fascias, gutters and conservatory once I get back from DS2 football. Have to admit though that my motivation level is a big fat juicy zero! At least i made a juicy £1 TT this morning :D

In other news something that has been irritating me for at least 18 months is my lack of running/exercise. From someone that was always playing sport the last 6 years this level has plummeted. Even after playing sport i used to run perhaps 30mile a week in my late 20's, kids then came along and time demands go elsewhere understandably. I've had spurts of restarting over the last 5yrs but its never really lasted longer than 2 months. I then struggled for motivation as my ability to run at a speed i remembered was diminishing (definitely age related!).

So long introduction to get to this but i am being inspired by Mrs SJ's cycling exploits, as well as being conscious of steady weight gain as i hit 40 later this year (weight gain hasn't happened yet, but it will if i'm not careful). I've also realised through my MFW exploits that planning and long term goal setting really works for me. So charts on the fridge, spreadsheets and visual representations need to be a big focus and I'm formulating a plan... I have no desire to run marathon or half marathons (i actually know that after not running for 12 months i'd be able to go out tonight and do 10k without too much turmoil) so it'll have to be a personal target.

I'm thinking of targeting running 400mile between June 1st and Dec 31st. So that's 57.14 miles a month, or 14.29 mile a week. This would give me a good long target with a weekly load, but have the ability to 'pre-load' the amount or play catch up, without it being ridiculous. And remembering that i'm supposed to be enjoying myself, and that i'm not as young as I used to be (and visualise myself to be when i recall running exploits).

So in relation to all this I'm gonna do 3mile tonight and tomorrow and see how i enjoy it. I've then got 12 days to decide and commit! (Off to look at some gps tracking watches as i need birthday present ideas for everyone for 6 weeks time)
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love that you're setting up long term plans while still paying the same level of attention to the day to day. And I remember being 39 and wanting to head into my 40s at a better weight, and fitter, than I was at that time. I did it, too, and it was a really positive thing. Go for it!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Well done you :T great news all round with food buying, exercise and investing and ebay listing . Lots of choices there. :)

My motivation is also at zero :( but once washing no.1 hung out and washing no.2 on will make a start on the shed before running down to PO with 3 parcels for the bay, then running back to continue with the fence :)

That's the plan anyway. :rotfl:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think I might hang around here for a bit jimmy and hope that some of your motivation rubs off on me, seriously though well done being so focussed :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I love that you're setting up long term plans while still paying the same level of attention to the day to day. And I remember being 39 and wanting to head into my 40s at a better weight, and fitter, than I was at that time. I did it, too, and it was a really positive thing. Go for it!
    I think that is the key, just being conscious of the future years. I had great teachers in that my parents were like that, so i suppose i have simply carried on their approach.
    Well done you :T great news all round with food buying, exercise and investing and ebay listing . Lots of choices there. :)

My motivation is also at zero :( but once washing no.1 hung out and washing no.2 on will make a start on the shed before running down to PO with 3 parcels for the bay, then running back to continue with the fence :)

That's the plan anyway. :rotfl:
    #
    After my last bank holiday i'm certain that fence/shed painting is my least favoured outside job!
    newgirly wrote: »
    I think I might hang around here for a bit jimmy and hope that some of your motivation rubs off on me, seriously though well done being so focussed :T
    Newgirly feel free to loiter as long as you want! I can't guarantee motivation will rub off, and i'm certain that we all have lull's as its playing such a long game and i went missing for about 8 months last year when life got too hectic with. Lots of goals and plans work for me. Daily, monthly, long term and then in relation to mortgage, pension, investment. My biggest threat will be with our next re mortgage. Previously i've gone for 2 yr fixes as it long and short enough to pay attention to, but my plan for next Feb/March is to go for a 5yr. I think we'll be MF somehwere between 5 and 6 years at the at point so the thought on a 5yr is to be finished by the time the fix ends (extra motivation). So i need to be careful we don't drift along, therefore I'll make lots of challenges along the way.

• shangaijimmy
    Options
    Quick update on yesterday before i head out with the dogs. Firstly i apologise for not commenting on other diaries quite so much, but i've been pretty non stop the last week or so as I'm trying to be done for work and home jobs to have 10days off from Friday lunchtime.

So the run never happened but for good reason... the gutters at the front of the house took twice as long as i'd time budgeted for and that set me back. After football with DS2 i then took the dog out, before starting the gutters and fascias. I then had to stop for work for 2 1/2 hrs (conference call type thing). I then restarted gutters, fascias an conservatory and only finished at 8pm, and then i needed to take the dogs out again (dog sitting for a friend this weekend so we have 2 in the house). By the end my legs were jaded with all the ladder climbing!! I did 15k in steps so its not like i was slobbing around all day.

I will definitely get out tonight!

£1 TT this morning and then i OP'd the weekly pot which sat at £6.12. With 11 days to go it looks like the month is shaping up to have an OP total of £590, which i may round up to £600!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good grief, Jimmy! It's true that everyone has lulls, but this definitely isn't one of yours :) well done you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • shangaijimmy
    edited 21 May 2018 at 7:33AM
    Options
    Bit of a mixed bag yesterday. Dog walk first thing before the day warmed up, and then in work 10.30-3. Stood out in the sun, and i'm a bit pink round the arms and face this morning, oops! Then did a bit of grandparent visiting with the 2 DS's, and followed by a couple hours at the park with all 3 kids whilst Mrs SJ went out on her bike.

8pm I finally got out for that 1st run! Nothing groundbreaking, and i was aiming for 3mile (or 5km for those that prefer km). It felt fantastic! I could have gone further but it was my fist run for 15 months and I was conscious of not wanting to be too sore today. I misjudged my distance slightly as i finished with 2.67mile, but at least i know which extra bit to add onto that route for Tuesday. I must add that i'd done 14k steps before i set out for the run as well!

A few things learned:
    • I am much more comfortable without music.
    • Never wear those socks i had on when running! If I'm serious about my challenge I need to invest in some proper running socks.
    • I am not 25 anymore and my body won't respond well to running in £25 trainers. Again if i am serious abut this challenge I need to get my feet assessed and get some appropriate running trainers (got my birthday coming up so easily sorted)
    • If I'm serious about the challenge i need a better method of recording time/distance/pace etc... So i need a running watch (birthday will come to the rescue again).

Final 4 days before the kids and me are off :j and i marked it with a 28p TT.

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Eating - the learning i've done from the reading people have guided me towards has been huge. Quite enlightening, and really does help with future planning. After 3 years of mortgage focus to get it to a manageable level should job issue arise, i've decided to pay a touch more attention to those years that i'd like to be retired/semi retired in and so delaying draw down of our pensions. So i have a tentative plan in place which will properly start in March when we remortgage, and i'm debating extending the MFW plan by 1-2 years in order to boost the investments pot - only debating at this stage! I am investing from now until March but only with £2k that we already have and then adding to it with £30 a month (in March that will increase to at least £100 and possibly £200), in order to learn/observe and gain some comfort in understanding the process.
    Good plan Jimmy, so important to keep your eye on the longer picture. Compounded interest is so important and as I often say, mortgage overpaying is only one tool in the personal finance box (and from a purely financial point of view you could argue it shouldn't be there at all).

Good luck with the running, that's one challenge I won't be joining you on :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback