PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Well - I am going out as I've planned tomorrow (though I'm told the delivery is re-scheduled for then...:cool:). A bit of shopping in nearby town and I'm promising myself lunch out (and glass of wine with it) as per plan - and then watching film with friends as per plan tomorrow evening.

If owt happens to my delivery in between being left where I've stated (well maybe :cool::cool:) and my getting back - I'll just ask the sender firm if they are seriously considering swopping to another deliverer and if the answer is "No" or "I dont know" then blow 'em....#shrugs and I'll wait on for a different firm (with a different delivery firm) to re-order "whenever"....

I lose patience sometimes with trying to fit in "other peoples bodged work" on top of "what I have decided myself" and "what I actually want to do" and just bin whichever firm etc it is....#there's my feet heading out the door....next please.....

I work on the theory of "if I must - I'll allow one (or two if I'm feeling generous) bits of bad service - and, after that, bin bin bin if I possibly can...". I guess it's the only way to drive up the efficiency levels of British firms sometimes...if they find themselves being chucked...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a one strike kind of gal when it comes to bad service, after a bad experience when I gave Homebase a second chance with a very expensive purchase. I've never used them since....
    edited 27 March 2018 at 9:30PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I'm a one strike kind of gal when it comes to bad service, after a bad experience when I gave Homebase a second chance with a very expensive purchase. I've never used them since....

A woman after my own heart:T

It struck me a while back that most of the people doing the "letting down" tend to be men and most of the people doing the hanging-around waiting/trying to get the service they've been promised are women.

The sexes are never going to be equal unless and until that particular equation comes out 50/50 women and men in both instances. Until then most of the "time wasting" is going to come out of womens "leisure time" so to say.

Do we give out a prize to the first man who complains he's been hanging around wasting his time and temper waiting for a woman deliverer/tradesperson/etc to turn up and do what she's promised to? I can't recall hearing of things happening that way round ever.....
  • caronc
    Options
    Don't know about that MTSTM I've had good & bad service from all genders.....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up at daft o'clock, my mind was doing overtime "sorting things" so got up and actually did some of them, only thing left is buying Easter eggs for grandchildren, had a sudden invite over there for Egg hunt this Sunday. I now know where to get the eggs, just need to go there this morning

Caron, Can spanners, yep Ex Marine would know that one. Test him on Babies Heads for scran :)
    Translation = small tinned steak & kidney pudding for food

Breakfast was porridge with Greek yoghurt and FMS
    I'm using Greek yoghurt ATM because I opened it to try it for making HM yoghurt. I made a batch yesterday so time will tell

While making the yoghurt one of my kitchen drawer fronts pulled off:( Looks easy enough to refit, couple of Phillip's head screws. But I noticed it seems to have been fitted incorrectly in the first place, looks obvious to me how it should be fitted but maybe it is just my background makes this so blooming obvious?

Lunch not sure. I could do with using up the lonely tinned pilchard in tom sauce and bit of HM spud salad, if I mixed them in a mess it would look like a massacre, reminding me of school puds, stirring the red jam in the frogspawn:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had/seen/been on an Egg Hunt, we never used to have them when I was growing up.

Dentist was free and I had "the works" .... two little Xrays, a full head Xray, check, advise on what to do for the best and I've to go back for a drilling out and a new filling and then building up a "fake tooth bit" where a bit had broken off. All for free.

There is a catch of course .... I've signed up on his books.... but I was surprised he did it all for free, in advance of me officially signing with his practice at the beginning of May, by which time he'll have done all of that and a full filling and a clean. He's taking a risk that I won't disappear/cancel the insurance and leg it .... but it's good to see "good service" and not a Jobsworth type.

My existing insurance covered a "temporary fix" yesterday, not "a full/proper fix" which he'll be doing next week, then the clean 2 weeks after.

Overall it's using the same insurance company as before, but the price is £7/month cheaper ... so I'll use that for now and look into dentists "properly" in the future (which is what I've been saying for the last 10 years),.
    edited 28 March 2018 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Would be interested to know what insurance company charges a fair rate for singles there then please.

I've checked out a couple of these insurance companies - whereby one pays a few £s a month and can claim back dental/etc type costs - and my conclusion each time was "good value for families" and it's "poor value for singles" - as we look to be subsidising that "good value for families".

So I've not joined - as they would get cheaper rates, but I wouldn't and it might even cost me more than doing on an "as and when" basis (which is what I do currently - as I have a private dentist "by choice"). I expect to pay out for one check-up a year and two hygienist cleans (think that's around £100 pa) and, very rarely, to have to pay something like the cost of a white filling as well.

I'm going to be swopping dentist practice at some point soon - waiting to see if a rumoured new one is going to open or no - as hygienist at current practice is old-fashioned and heavy-handed. So I'd need to find out if any insurance cover would meet the "swopping dentist charge" they all seem to impose currently (ie examining your teeth - even if they've recently been examined).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2018 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Would be interested to know what insurance company charges a fair rate for singles there then please....
    It's complex, I'd really decided to "get out" but hadn't got round to cancelling my cover ..... as it was pricey. I was with the big "D..pl.n" lot. And it was like many things... keep putting it off, then you need something, so you just keep going.

It's a very complex subject because you're trying to compare what's on offer (and the "D" don't publish their prices as the prices are set by the dentist after they've given you an initial checkover to estimate what they think you'll need).

Then you try adding up the cost of what you might need.... and the figures all look a bit scarey .... and then it's all too hard to research/keep motivated.

So, for now, I'm with D..pl.n still, but with a different dentist. I'll look into it again some time.

I had intended to take out a simple plan to pay for 2x checkups and 2x cleans a year (£100), then save money and pay for individual stuff as/when it occurred... but then I saw the prices for some of those things and got scared.

If I won the lottery I'd just have the lot whipped out and new/fake individual ones screwed in.... and be done with it. But dental work is definitely a "middle class income" luxury, at even the essentials stage these days. I've got lots of teeth missing as the cost of having replacements/crowns or whatever they call it would be way too much for me. I work on the basis that so long as the front four are still there, if I don't smile much/often nobody will notice :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bab- ies yed, with the a pronounced a not A, with chips and pea wet, gravy is a standard chippy fare up here, in North west, it was hubbys' favourite. :rotfl:
    Just had fruit toast and I'm definitely shopping today.
    It was a busy day in work yesterday, everything needed doing just needed the Broom up the backside and I could have swept the floor whilst doing it!
    Tea was rest of lo pasta ,added a bit of the chicken, (need to eat that soon) piece of toast with garlic butter, in lieu of garlic bread. Finished off the rice pud.
    Salmon for tea tonight, whatever veg I pick up today,and a few lo pots from Sunday, May add a few chips as not many pots.
    Going for a banana now and to g@@gle some recipes , need to change up my food :o
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    "Babies Head" isn't really used round here possibly because savoury puddings aren't that common where as steak and kidney pie is. "Scran" does get used from time to time but again not common.

PN sounds like your new dentist is a good 'un. My dentist is NHS and I'm happy with that so I've never really looked at private cover.:)

I'm back to drs later this morning for bloods etc. just seeing the nurse so hoping to be in and out.

I'm not sure about my food plans for today though they'll probably involve savoury mince:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback