free fresh yeast (merged)

Options
mumof3girls
mumof3girls Posts: 239 Forumite
edited 8 June 2009 at 11:00AM in Freebies (no spend required)
MoneySavingExpert update note June 2009:

While this discussion thread began in 2005, and various people have reported Asda no longer providing free yeast, others have said their local supermarket does still give it away, so if you're in there anyway there's no harm in asking.

Back to the original post...

while serving a customer at the weekend (asda) they had some yeast in a bread bag. i asked about it and they said it was free due to old old bread making rule/code. i did check just in case and yes it was free.
the customer said that sainsburys charge for but shouldn`t really and they also said that it is free at tesco.
so get bread making by hand!!!
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!

Comments

• lucidamike
    lucidamike Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Normally only small quantities are free. You can also buy whole blocks of fresh yeast if you do a lot of home baking. The yeast should last at least a week in the fridge so I don't know why Asda said the old bread rule applied

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    what is the oldbread rule?
    not sure i follow
    can i go to the bread counter in asda and ask for free yeast?
  • lucidamike
    lucidamike Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    I think the old bread rule is that bread cannot be sold after 1 day after baking

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • mp7125
    mp7125 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Hi 1jim - yes if you want free yeast just go to the counter and ask. How much you get depends on who serves you - some are more generous than others.
  • mumof3girls
    Options
    i think there is some bakers dozen type unspoken/unwriten rule thing. they have to sell the bread on the day of baking so its fresh but thats got nothing to do with this yeast thing.
    just hope you all dont go at once. the customer i served said about 2 weeks in the fridge. but if you get it free just get a small amount weekly with you shop. the man also said you have to but it with a bit of sugar and luck warm water to make it bubble.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    The sugar is food for the yeast. One problem I found when making bread by hand was that I didn't have anywhere warm enough to let the dough rise. Don't have a problem now though, as I use my bread maker and the quick yeast.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • ambersmita
    ambersmita Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I have had free yeast from tesco and asda - I am sure that my auntie says that you can freeze fresh yeast? Has anyone found a way to use fresh yeast in the bread maker, I tried it once and it went a little "pete tong"!
    "You may say I am a dreamer - but I'm Not the only one!" Amber;-)
  • Alfisti
    Alfisti Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I can certainly confirm that Tesco offer free yeast. I've been taking advantage of their offer for some years now - not just for baking but (yes I know I'm decadent........!) spreading on thick hot buttered toast - absolutely, dribblingly scrumptious!! ( BTW, the toast just HAS to be made from newly baked bread - and don't be mean with the butter). Happy scoffing!
  • mumof3girls
    Options
    eerrhhhh!!!!!!
  • Alfisti
    Alfisti Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Trust me - it tastes a whole lot better than it sounds!! - Honest! - and just think of all those B complex vits you're swallowing....................!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure