free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• cookiequeen
    cookiequeen Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I have just started making all our bread. What would I need to ask for? My brain is on go slow today!

Michelle
  • i-luv-free-stuff
    Options
    mmmmmmm yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaastttt
    mmmm free stufffffffff :p
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    . What would I need to ask for?

YEAST michelle......yeast! :D don't ask for them for a tin of paint or a new tyre for yer bike.......just the yeast ;)

I'm only kidding chuck, welcome to the boards :) Just go to the bakery and ask a member of staff if they have any yeast that you could have. Don't forget your best smile :)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Andy_Spoo_2
    Options
    Use if for the fresh fruit season and make homemade wine. Bread yeast works well for plum wine, etc.

Andy
  • tonyg_2
    tonyg_2 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to use this fresh yeast in a bread machine? If so how much would I use?
    Tx
  • weedavieaxe
    weedavieaxe Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    when i started making bread by hand the destructions for activating the yeast didn't work for me so i experimented and ended up using half the reccomended amount with some milk and water mixed.2/3rdcold milk/water mix 1/3rd hot water.about 1 teaspoon yeast to the recipe's required amount of water.found using a bit less yeast than advised helps :D
    wiznae me,ah didnae dae it,naebody saw me dae it,cannae prove nuffin.... :D AND IF THEY CAN I'LL BLAME THE VOICES... :eek:
  • cookiequeen
    Options
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    YEAST michelle......yeast! :D don't ask for them for a tin of paint or a new tyre for yer bike.......just the yeast ;)

I'm only kidding chuck, welcome to the boards :) Just go to the bakery and ask a member of staff if they have any yeast that you could have. Don't forget your best smile :)

Lol, Thank you. Like I said my brain just wasn't going well! I have been reading the boards here and there for a while but when I spotted this I had to join in. As soon as I have finished the yeast I've got I shall be off to pester them!

Michelle
  • cozzie
    cozzie Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went into Asda, Trafford Park on Saturday and being a bit of a chick, chick, chicken I sent my partner over to the bakers for the free yeast. Being the good boy that he is he trundled off with the trolley whilst I cowered behind some shelves, and plain as day he asked for "some free yeast". The assistant gave him a block of about 100gs. It's as easy as that. I may even try it myself next time.
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
  • herbal
    herbal Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    I know all Adsa's do this, Only keep the yeast for a max 1 week. And always in a sealed tub, as it will start to smell your fridge out.

DO NOT FREEZE YEAST it will stop it working correctly.
  • tjfs
    tjfs Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I get my yeast from Tesco. No idea why it's free. Here's a simple recipe, you'll just need a mixer (e.g. Kenwood Chef or a strong pair of hands) and two 1lb bread tins (any supermarket should have these). Smear the tins with veg oil before you start.

Put 1pt water in the microwave for 2 minutes
    Mix together with 1tsp salt, 1lb wholemeal (or white) flour, 1lb white bread flour
    Separate the dough into two lumps, press into tins, put in a LOW oven (as low as it will go, you might need to open the door slightly) until risen, then bake 20 minutes at 200C.

Doesn't get much easier than that. Faster than the breadmaker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure