Swallowed up by Overdraft - Help!

Hello,

I have been a long time viewer of these forums, however have never felt the need to sign up to them. I have always managed my money fairly well, but recently have started renting my first home with my long term partner, and over the 6 months of rented bliss, we have both crept further and further into my account. The problem stemmed from me being certain I was going to get a payrise but unfortunately it didn't happen, and then we had an incident with the car which needed sorting.

Really I don't fully understand the options that are available to me. I have run through the usual steps of trying to get a 0% interest credit card and moving the amount over to there, however it seems because I have been in my overdraft on and off for a few years that I cant be accepted. At least that is what I was told by my bank (HSBC). I have read about speaking to the bank about it, but is this actually worth it? What steps do they take to deal with this?

Currently I take home £405 a week, and have worked out with all outgoings (Rent/car/hoursehold bills/food) I am left with £55 of that. My partner is left with a similar amount. I am in my overdraft as of Friday by £3200, with my rent/car payment this will drop to the 4k mark. The Overdraft fee is around £50 a month.

At the moment I just don't see a way out of it. There is no light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. My partner has gotten over a long stint of suffering with severe anxiety, the house was a massive massive move and we have been incredibly happy up until this point. I wake up feeling sick to my stomach and cannot focus on anything else. I know they perhaps seem like trivial debts to some folk on here, but for us it is a big thing.

Any help is massively appreciated.

JB

Comments

• SWSEGirl
    SWSEGirl Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey there,

I've been in a similar position myself in the past - I lived in my overdraft for 7 years, and was too afraid to check my bank balance for 2 years :o Why don't you try posting an SOA & people can help advised based on the information?
    Original Mortgage as of September 2016 = £322,999 :eek: Paid off by 2051
    Current Mortgage Balance as of September 2017 = £316,649
    Current Mortgage Balance as of May 2020 = £276,364
    Current Mortgage Balance October 2020 = £262,480
    Current Mortgage Balance December 2020 = £250,852
    Current Mortgage Balance January 2021 = £248,219
    Current Mortgage Balance February 2021 = £246,000
    Current Mortgage Balance March 2021 = £243,434
    Emergency Savings = £40,000
    S&S ISA's = £5,536
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi JB1991 and thanks for your post.

This doesn't strike me as a situation that cannot be resolved one way or another. It may end up being the case that you will need to start banking elsewhere and then negotiate to pay off any outstanding overdraft on affordable terms - however, as SWSEGirl suggests above, if you can post a Statement of Affairs (SOA) here it'll give us all a bit more insight into how best to support you.

Link if you're not already familiar with it: http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Hi JB1991 - welcome to the forum.

I agree posting a SOA is the first step. Make sure it's as accurate as possible - use bank statements or receipts etc. There is always a temptation to create a wish list when doing a SOA which is slightly counter productive.

There is always a solution. Don't worry - fresh eyes can sometimes see things from the outside looking in that can't be seen when you are looking at a situation from the inside.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • kevinb1967
    kevinb1967 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't speak for HSBC but we had a similar situation with Barclays (£2800 overdraft, £90 fees per month). I called them and explained that we couldn't reduce the overdraft because of the fees. They put the overdraft onto an interest free loan over 4 years. We opened up a new account, still with Barclays and the overdraft is steadily decreasing.
    :beer:
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JB1991 wrote: »
    Currently I take home £405 a week, and have worked out with all outgoings (Rent/car/hoursehold bills/food) I am left with £55 of that. My partner is left with a similar amount.

If we assume a 4-week month you outgoings are £1,400 per month. If you partner is in a similar situation that's £2,800, which seems very high.

You need to post an SOA so we can see where your money is going.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This was the situation that prompted us to become active on here too - not so much the being turned down for 0% cards but that thing of creeping into overdraft use.

Get the SOA posted and let's see what you can do to cut down on what is going out - I suspect a lot may be to do with thinking you could continue to live the lifestyle you lived when paying keep to parents, when your outgoings are now higher, and a sensible budget will sort things for you.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The only way out of it is to spend less than you earn. It's basic maths, not rocket science:

Earn £100, spend £95 = savings of £5 = good.
    Earn £100, spend £105 = debt of £5 = bad.

It really is that simple.

So, you need to do an SoA, which is basically a budget which includes every single thing you spend money on to see where you stand. Keep a spending diary to see where every single penny goes, as you're going to need to know. Armed with that information, you can see where you need to cut down to ensure the books balance - it's amazing how many people are in debt, yet pay expensive mobile phone contracts, have sky TV or gym memberships which are completely unnecessary....
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    So you have a surplus of £55 per week and your partner has the same? That's £110 per week. So every 4 weeks you have a surplus of £440. At the end of each month reduce your overdraft by £400. In 10 months time you won't have an overdraft.

If you can cut your outgoings, or increase your income, you will pay it off sooner. As mentioned above, it really is that simple.

Best wishes
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• JB1991
    JB1991 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Ever so sorry for the long response guys. Thank you all for your help and advice. I think possibly when I was posting this I was just having a particularly bad day and let the pressure and stress of the situation get to me. I am usually quite a laid back person, however this has possibly lead me down the road to getting into this mess.

I have realized something needs to change however. Here is what everything looks like:

My monthly income - £1,620

Monthly Outgoings:

Mortgage/Rent - £700
    Car Finance - £200
    Council Tax - £165
    Electric - £26
    Water - 16
    TV License - £12
    Broadband - £16
    Phone - £40
    Food - £120
    Car Insurance - £60
    Car Tax - £12
    Overdraft Fees - £45

Total: £1,412

Overdraft Amount - £4513/£5000
    Amount Remaining - £208

I didn't include my partner in this as she is in a similar situation, albeit not quite as far as me. I want to focus on my situation in particular.

Unfortunately my rent/car/bills just came out which dropped me down into the overdraft a bit further. I hate being in this situation, so I am looking at making as many changes as I can.

Already I have started making calls regarding trading the car in and carrying on a new finance on something cheaper. I rung the dealership and they reckon I have about a £3000 negative equity at the moment however, so not sure how practical that will be.

I have also made the decision to look for extra work. I have a job interview lined up next week for part-time contract work which potentially could see an increase of my wages by £100-200 a week depending on how well it goes.

I have also put some items up for sale on Ebay to the value of around £200.

We managed a weekly food shop of £35 this week rather than the previous £60 as well.

Everything is coming together, and I can see how to get out, however it just at the moment seems to be a very long road ahead. I am appreciative of the fact that looking around on these forums there are people in a lot worse situations than myself, and I don't want pity because I did this to myself.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Okay - I think your out-goings for a person earning 1600 a month are too high. You've got some extravegances on there that I would have on that wage, namely a car on finance.

JB1991 wrote: »
    My monthly income - £1,620

Monthly Outgoings:

Mortgage/Rent - £700 - very large for your earnings - nearly half of your money goes on rent. Can you find somewhere cheaper? Get a roomy?
    Car Finance - £200 - huge on your wage. If this is a three-year PCP, negotiate to hand the car back and get a something that costs £1500. If it's a five year car finance and then you own it, it's probably a £15k-£20k car?...something you cannot afford on your wage.
    Council Tax - £165 - again this could be lower with a smaller home
    Electric - £26
    Water - 16
    TV License - £12
    Broadband - £16
    Phone - £40
    Food - £120
    Car Insurance - £60 - this is high. Are you a newly qualified driver? Depends what car you've clearly splashed out on!
    Car Tax - £12
    Overdraft Fees - £45

Total: £1,412

Overdraft Amount - £4513/£5000
    Amount Remaining - £208

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts