Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not much to report today, currently taking a break from the ironing mountain and gradually de cluttering leftover cheese :D

All children and dh are out for a couple of hours so its nice and quiet, I took the Xmas tree down and all the decorations, its a bit early but the tree was real and we have had it since November so it's very tired now.

I have found a new blog to work my way through , mr money mustache , it is american and quite extreme but I'm enjoying working my way through. Just wondered of anyone else had come across it or any other frugal/mortgage free blogs that are good, I follow a couple already but it's always nice to read more.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • southerndave
    Options
    Sounds like a busy start to the post Xmas period! Not sure about mortgage free blogs, but lots of good frugal and simplicity / minimalism ones out there and I think the two are intrinsically linked.
  • never_too_old
    Options
    Hi NG
    My tree is coming down tomorrow.Started to take few bits down so just the tree left now.Would love the link to the blog you mentioned.
    Take care of yourself
    :)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I have found a new blog to work my way through , mr money mustache , it is american and quite extreme but I'm enjoying working my way through.

Just had a quick look but it seems very wordy for what my brain can cope with at this time of night!

You may have come across Memorygirl on here. She has a blog called mortgage free in three, which is eminently practical and full of down to earth frugality. Athriftymrs is another blog that I've followed for a while. You may also remember thriftlady from the OS forums, who blogs at the quince tree . Agirlcalledjack is a very humbling and inspiring website, the world would be a better place if there were more like her. I don't follow it regularly myself but shirleygoode is popular with many on the OS forums.

if you use blogblovin, search thrift or money on there, should throw up loads of suggestions.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks newgirly

I am paying my last payment to mortgage company from a lump sum I have later today. It comes at some relief for us after all these years to be mortgage free. I will shortly have no debts other than energy bills and I dont use a credit cards accept maybe for an emergency although we may still use it very rarely just to show we can pay debts off we will always have the money set aside
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi nto hope you had a good Xmas , its mr money mustache (american spelling) very embarrassing but can you google it as I am not sure how to link (GG did explain once but that was a long while ago:o)

Hi pavlovs thanks very much for the links, I'm already following a girl called jack and mortgage free in three but will Definatly take a look at the others. Mfi3 is one of the best out there isn't it :D

Hi savemoney, congratulations on clearing the mortgage , you should post on the mortgage free roll of honour :beer:

Dh is back at work today, I have the week off still as I worked the first week of my job and then the new month started so I took 3 days hol in lieu if wages as it was easier for them.
    I have as is my way shot myself in the foot by trying to have a "we need to be more frugal" chat with dh last night. I said I wouldn't but could not resist, the lights are left on everywhere, food in the fridge not wrapped up so its need chucking etc. plus shall we go to the cinema Monday night (when we all know the best night is a weds :rotfl:) after all these years I have not got any further on than when I started, dh wants a sports car and does not mind if we pay anything off early or not.

I don't get it , my dad is in his sixties retired from his career and now running a very stressful full time business instead as they still need the money. With no plans to give up work and still upgrading brand new cars very two years, mortgage not cleared (although other properties too) they have a great lifestyle but he is still tied to work with no plans to stop.

I just don't want dh in the same position, and on an ok but not lavish income it would be very easy to end up there too. It's not as if I'm a naturally careful spender either, I'm often splashing out on stuff we shouldn't be so need him to get tougher!
    Oh well, I need to just get on with it, maybe if the company ever makes any money he can get the sports car :D I have been a little more strict than usual and charged dd for the extra minutes over her phone plan that she has gone over (£21 in 3 months) the kids are usually good as gold and never go over but I thought she should pay out if her pocket money anyway. It's the new strict me , next stop tackling 30 minute power showers :eek:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • never_too_old
    Options
    Morning NG i think we are both fighting the same battle.Even after all these years on this frugal journey my OH thinks he is deprived and deserves everything because he works so hard.He still doesnt see how benificial it will be to clear debts and pay mortgage off and to one day have savings.
    So in my case at least its a lonely journey .Well done on being firm:)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that nto, you can always come here for support from us don't forget though :D

Some good news today is it seems there are 2x lots of child benefit this financial month, so I am up £188.60 :D that will go off the first cc we are paying down at sorting January and I've worked out that if I stick to a £170 budget all in this month I can pay a much bigger sum in feb of £1277. So basically from feb onwards the surplus for living will be bigger -£1099 pm for everything except debts /mortgage/direct debits for gas etc.

Now it seems possible we may be able to save a little bit as well as clear the cc's which would be fantastic.:T

Today's mf jobs are cancel sky movies (currently £8 pm) and hopefully get a reduced package. I did look at now tv but it does so much less than sky I can't do it :o

Next job to switch gas/elec supplier - dreading this one as we probably own a flipping fortune with the current one , talk about the worst time of year to switch!
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I don't get it , my dad is in his sixties retired from his career and now running a very stressful full time business instead as they still need the money. With no plans to give up work and still upgrading brand new cars very two years, mortgage not cleared (although other properties too) they have a great lifestyle but he is still tied to work with no plans to stop.

I just don't want dh in the same position, and on an ok but not lavish income it would be very easy to end up there too. It's not as if I'm a naturally careful spender either, I'm often splashing out on stuff we shouldn't be so need him to get tougher!

Does your Dad actually want to give up working though? Some people enjoy being busy all the time
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your Dad actually want to give up working though? Some people enjoy being busy all the time

It would be good to have options though - to work because you want to not through necessity. None of us know what our health will be like as we get older, we might feel in need of a rest.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family