Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Pearla*Merle
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Pearla you must start that diary! :D
    Yes, Ma'am! ;)

Hurrah for mini-cruises & payslips! I flipping love cruises.. well, I mean I've only been on one & not likely to go on another any time soon, but waking up and finding yourself in a new place each day without the hassle of travelling = magic. Even if I did get norovirus :rotfl: Nothing like tripping around Venice in a state of delirium.

I'm still in awe of your 30k saved vs 30k for the work on the house, imagine if you hadn't saved/paid things off in the first place - what a difference it makes giving yourself those new options and making your money work for you :T
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi pearla, have been to visit the new diary :D what a shame you were Ill on the cruise , I am surprised anyone can manage to get ill really, they seem to have hand sanitisers every 2 ft or so :rotfl:

I should be up cleaning now, I set the alarm for 5 am but can't be bothered to move :o

I have cancelled the gym today , dd is off as college has finished and the twins finish lunchtime when they bring about 13 friends home with them :eek: just to make it even more stressful the two groups of friends wan to stay seperate from each other so we may have to do shifts in the living room/bedroom. This is when a giant log cabin with tv sofas etc. would be extremely useful, but no its chockablock with cr*p from the loft still.
    Trying to avoid them all for at least so me of the time I will be popping to the bakers round the corner for a coffee with a friend for a pre Xmas catch up and present swap. No food to cook though as its traditional to get a bag of chips on the last day of school, so I've bought lots of fizzy (named brands on offer as they are teenagers :p) crisps a chocolate xmassy tray bake from mr t and I have instructions to make buckets of homemade popcorn.

The house is shockingly messy amd we have no clean socks except odd ones :rotfl: this morning is for doing the whole house and all the washing before they all turn up , although I realise they will also make a mess, so it's more of a clear up than clean in places ;)

To do list:

All washing and sling on heated airer
    Bathrooms a thorough clean
    Kitchen as much as I have time for
    Kids bedrooms tidy/clean/mop
    Our oasis in the loft clean and Hoover :D
    Check for Reindeer bedclothes ready for Xmas eve (for us not the kids!)
    Arrange with mum when I have to clean her house before Xmas
    Ditto food shopping with dad
    Dye and cut hair if time
    Do accounts and check wages have gone in :j
    Hoover stairs , clear hall of 200 pe kits and bags
    Clean tidy living room and move armchair away from tree as when you try and squeeze past them the tree keeps trying to fall over and it's about 10ft tall, I don't want to crush a teenager :rotfl:

Back later when all done
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Argh, horrid teenagers gone! 15 of them, Not all of them are horrid of course but some are a little how do I say trying. It has literally snowed popcorn all over the house, mud on the new cream carpet even though it was shoes off upstairs, rubbish everywhere and bedrooms trashed like they are 2 years old. Dd's friends are so much easier (both the boys and girls) oh well, they are tidying and I am lying on bed with a glass of posh white wine I bought for Xmas :beer:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • nattypants
    nattypants Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Options
    You deserve the whole bottle for having that many teenagers in your house!!
    February13 - £74990 (or thereabouts)
    MND - Let's go for 2020 'cos it's got a nice ring to it:D
    C'mon nattypants:cool:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Ok nattypants if you say so :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    Didn't drink the bottle -too tired :o Friday night before Xmas and the most rock and roll thing I did was eat a curry :rotfl: We are out for a meal and drinks tonight though so I shall make up for it then.

Dh is at work today and I have NOTHING planned :j lots of jobs to do at home but nothing terrible, Sunday his at home and we have nothing planned then either. Usually we are out and about but this year we have been so busy I've tried to keep it free , less stress the few days before = less bickering and stress over Xmas , that's the plan anyway! time will tell :rotfl:

Ds 1 is determined to sabotage my stress free Xmas though , I had a phone call from his maths teacher yesterday to say he has not handed homework in twice, not pleased so he is now without Xbox , dh wants to make it for the whole of the Xmas hols but has agreed to go worth until Xmas eve to start with.

I am still in bed and not getting up until at least 9 so it's an official long lie in :D
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Well done for surviving the teenagers!
    newgirly wrote: »
    Hi pearla, have been to visit the new diary :D what a shame you were Ill on the cruise , I am surprised anyone can manage to get ill really, they seem to have hand sanitisers every 2 ft or so :rotfl:
    :rotfl: Tell me about it, and I was so careful not to touch a thing (I was naughty and didn't even touch the handrails on the stairs), but still got taken out. At least it happened at the beginning so I didn't get quarantined :eek: ....unlike everyone else I must have given it to, lol.

Oh heck, Mr M is telling me to get a move on, boo! Have a great day!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will be mortgage free in January just waiting for a cheque to clear then that plus some money in a ISA we have will finally pay off our mortgage after having one for just under 25 years we did remortage in 2007 having moved house but have paid if off early.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi savemoney, well done you must be so looking forward to being free of it , merry Xmas :beer:

I have had a frugal day so far (won't be later though!)

Made braised red cabbage and apple to freeze
    Ditto roast spuds and honeyed parsnips
    Chopped and froze a massive bag of carrots
    All these where on the verge of turning and bought in the week at mr t yellow stickered and v. Cheap

I have also dyed my roots with 2x bottles of poundland hairdye, if you do use dye and have not tried it give it a go its honestly better than Lore! Castings that I used to use at £7 each box. They do two types and it's the red topped box that's best.
    Then I cut my hair :eek: last few times it's gone very well but this time not so good so dd helped and it looks ok now :D

I'm splashing out on pizza delivery tonight (collection actually as then its bogof) for the kids as we are out £12.99 for 2x large. We are not eating out as a family over Xmas as we usually do so its still cheaper than usual. Xmas eve will be the already cooked and frozen veg and spuds with a beef joint, so nice and easy after a day at the harry potter studios :j so excited to go again, dd went with college a couple of weeks ago again and said its snowing there :snow_laug
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Snowing! How magical! :D

Cheers for the heads up on the hair dye, will definitely be keeping an eye open for that :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback