Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,514 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Had a look at the offers section on my box & they've offered me 60% off TV package which isnt bad but going to hold out for more...

Just be aware that they weren't honouring the 60% off box deal a few months ago -when I contacted them initially,I was told that it was a mistake!! I actually had to be "switched off" for a day to get 60% discount.
    I was happy with that because they discounted my entire deal inc HD pack, which brought my sub. down to £26,80 from over £70.:T
    Others at the time stayed switched off for a week or two and got 75% and a credit!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just be aware that they weren't honouring the 60% off box deal a few months ago -when I contacted them initially,I was told that it was a mistake!! I actually had to be "switched off" for a day to get 60% discount.
    I was happy with that because they discounted my entire deal inc HD pack, which brought my sub. down to £26,80 from over £70.:T
    Others at the time stayed switched off for a week or two and got 75% and a credit!

Thanks for the heads up... I did pop onto live chat to see if I could squeeze them to 70% but they said the best they could do was the 60%...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • davidmcg2u
    Options
    Hi,
    I was at the end of my initial 12months of half price SKY, discounted line rental & free broadband. Was paying approx. £60 a month which include my £8 for sky talk package. The price was to go up to £115 ish pm.
    I was offered 10months half price TV for 10months on a 12month contact & nothing for line rental & bb.
    I gave them notice to cancel & was continually offered the 50% for 10months. I then came on here & seen the 60% offer through my services section of the sky box and check ours & had the same offer - so thanks for that! So sorted the TV for 12months at approx. £35 - should also say I have the full package.

I have been looking at bb & line rental alternatives and noticed I could now get fibre in my area so got back onto SKY to see what they could do. The offer they had was 18months fibre incl. line rental at £30pm so adding that to my £8 calls package would take it to £38pm - seems ok even with 18month contract.
    The sting in the tail is as I am already a customer I would need to fix my minimum term of my TV to 18months. MMMmmm ok - how does this affect my 60% offer? Basically I'm tied in to SKY for the last 6 months & if I want to stay on the same package I'm paying full price!
    So if I signed up for the fibre off at £38pm for 18m I would be £40 per month worse off for the last 6 months of my TV deal -so £240 down right away.
    I don't understand why they are willing to let me leave, lose 18months of £38pm.
    I know I have no right to this deal or that deal but one day they offer 60% off tv for 12months then the next they are saying if you want to give us an extra £38pm too for 18 months for fibre & line rental then we are ripping up your tv deal & making it 18months.
    They just play around with words, T&Cs & try to bamboozle folk into think they are genuinely getting a good deal.
    Disappointed to say the least & I'm now contemplating ditching them altogether now!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    davidmcg2u wrote: »
    Disappointed to say the least & I'm now contemplating ditching them altogether now!

I'm ditching the BB/LR package from Sky, tried phone & live chat and couldn't get them to budge on the ADSL. Best they'd do is £30 for UL fibre plus £9.99 P&P (they'd have waive the installation fee). I'm going for the Virgin 50Mbps deal I think

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband?_ga=1.13490933.379011117.1486215375#virginfibre
  • davidmcg2u
    Options
    I'm ditching the BB/LR package from Sky, tried phone & live chat and couldn't get them to budge on the ADSL. Best they'd do is £30 for UL fibre plus £9.99 P&P (they'd have waive the installation fee). I'm going for the Virgin 50Mbps deal I think

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband?_ga=1.13490933.379011117.1486215375#virginfibre

We don't have the option of Virgin yet although our street is on the list for this year apparently.

The did offer BB for £2.50pm with £18.99 LR but my call £38 but not to be....
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 February 2017 at 7:43PM
    Options
    davidmcg2u wrote: »

I know I have no right to this deal or that deal but one day they offer 60% off tv for 12months then the next they are saying if you want to give us an extra £38pm too for 18 months for fibre & line rental then we are ripping up your tv deal & making it 18months.
    They just play around with words, T&Cs & try to bamboozle folk into think they are genuinely getting a good deal.

Phone/broadband and tv are supposed to be independent contracts. Last time I took both services from them, I got a phone deal , then was put through to a separate tv department, though , once, I was offered an increased discount, if I took tv as well as the phone/broadband.

I would have tried again, as CS staff do vary in policy.
  • L33bou
    L33bou Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    So, I've just spent the best part of an hour trying to negotiate a better deal for my parents regarding their Sky package which consists of Tv, Broadband and Line rental costing £76.99 a month. They are out of all contracts so free to do as they please with no financial repercussion.

The best they could offer keeping the same package without upgrading was £70.39 a month. A saving of £1.50 a month

The next offer they made was £71 a month if i upgraded to Fibre and also the call package to anytime calls.
    Whilst the fibre upgrade maybe a good offer, my parents, both retired just don't need it.

They have been with Sky for 18 years now and after i spoke to the lady reading out all these new customer offers from online she still wouldn't budge.

We are limited to what services we can have, Virgin media is unavailable in the area but fibre is in the road now.
    Their new customer offers seem great but they never look after loyal customers, i may just tell them to bite the bullet and cancel and be a new customer in a year!!
    Has anyone had any luck with Sky lately being an existing customer??
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, i was hoping to get it down to around £45-50 a month for all services.

• TrickyTrotter_2
    Options
    I had the full package sports, cinema, box sets, HD and one multi room. I renewed in Jan 16 for 50% discount, £50 credit and a further £5 off my multi room for 6 months. So £44.12 for 6 months then up to £49.12 from August. A further Sky price rise pushed it to £52. In Dec 16 was told it would be full price of £92.

Went on to Sky Chat just before xmas and got the usual 30% discount offer, I declined and cancelled (31 days notice). Within 2 minutes I logged on to My Sky and a 50% offer was looking straight back at me onscreen. Except that the discount offers don't include multiscreen or HD Sports. So always have to add £12pm for multiroom and £6pm for HD.

Went on Sky chat and yes could offer me the 50% discount but not including multi and HD. Total cost £55pm for 10 months on 12 month contract. Again politely declined. I went back on chat a couple of times, also had one phone call from Sky and one letter. Nothing was much different so let the cancellation go ahead 2 weeks ago..

My Sky has a 60% offer on for me online (in Shop/Left Sky in last 12 months) but again excludes multi and HD, comes to £49pm. Have again resisted.

Today had call from Sky offering £29 but again won't discount multi or HD so total cost £46pm. Again politely declined. They said they would ring me back in a few weeks if they got any better offers. I'm holding out for something around £35pm. Meanwhile have tried free Amazon Prime for a month (pretty poor in my view) and the same with Netflix (better and only costs around £8pm but no sport).

I'm a patient guy (and the rest of the family holding their nerve!). Sky will be back with more.
  • L33bou
    L33bou Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I had the full package sports, cinema, box sets, HD and one multi room. I renewed in Jan 16 for 50% discount, £50 credit and a further £5 off my multi room for 6 months. So £44.12 for 6 months then up to £49.12 from August. A further Sky price rise pushed it to £52. In Dec 16 was told it would be full price of £92.

Went on to Sky Chat just before xmas and got the usual 30% discount offer, I declined and cancelled (31 days notice). Within 2 minutes I logged on to My Sky and a 50% offer was looking straight back at me onscreen. Except that the discount offers don't include multiscreen or HD Sports. So always have to add £12pm for multiroom and £6pm for HD.

Went on Sky chat and yes could offer me the 50% discount but not including multi and HD. Total cost £55pm for 10 months on 12 month contract. Again politely declined. I went back on chat a couple of times, also had one phone call from Sky and one letter. Nothing was much different so let the cancellation go ahead 2 weeks ago..

My Sky has a 60% offer on for me online (in Shop/Left Sky in last 12 months) but again excludes multi and HD, comes to £49pm. Have again resisted.

Today had call from Sky offering £29 but again won't discount multi or HD so total cost £46pm. Again politely declined. They said they would ring me back in a few weeks if they got any better offers. I'm holding out for something around £35pm. Meanwhile have tried free Amazon Prime for a month (pretty poor in my view) and the same with Netflix (better and only costs around £8pm but no sport).

I'm a patient guy (and the rest of the family holding their nerve!). Sky will be back with more.

Seems like they play hardball nowadays and actually wait till you cancel to show your being serious!! Its a damn joke really, the lady came back to me when i asked about 2 very good new customers deals and why they couldnt offer me them considering weve been with them nearly 2 decades, was 'everyone is always a new customer so at some point you would have got a good deal too' to which i said, we always have paid around £40 a month so thats rubbish!!!

Anyway im getting on the blower as soon as ive finished work and cancelling!!!!
  • davidmcg2u
    davidmcg2u Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 February 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Phone/broadband and tv are supposed to be independent contracts. Last time I took both services from them, I got a phone deal , then was put through to a separate tv department, though , once, I was offered an increased discount, if I took tv as well as the phone/broadband.

I would have tried again, as CS staff do vary in policy.

Well today l went onto chat 1st thing to cancel my BB & phone. The advisor asked why & l went through the my experience from the other day when l was told by a so called EXPERT that to get upgraded to fibre BB l would have to commit to 18 months TV too.

He went through the notes from my previous discussions & said that the previous EXPERT was wrong & that if l upgraded to fibre BB my TV wouldn't would be tied into the same deal.

So now sorted, 60% discount on TV for 12months & have got my fibre upgrade, line rental & calls for £38pm on a 18month contract. Happy �� but it shouldn't have taken 3 attempts to sort. Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback