Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals

Options

Comments

• Missus_Hyde
    Options
    Lagamorph wrote: »
    My issue with Smart Meters and reason for not having one so far isn't the meters themselves, it's the fitters.

I've seen and read far too many stories of poorly trained fitters rushing the job of fitting Smart Meters leading to gas leaks, electricity cuts and surges causing damage to electrical equipment that the suppliers then deny any liability for.

I'd happily have a Smart Meter, but not until I can have complete confidence that it is going to be fitted correctly by someone with the proper training.

Absolutely!........and in fact my electrician said exactly the same thing to us, when re-wiring our extension. The last thing we need is someone mucking around with our electrics, having just had everything sorted out to our satisfaction.

I've never liked the idea of smart meters anyway and am not intending to have one any time in the near future (as I informed my electricity supplier in no uncertain terms.:p) I never have estimated bills as I always read our meter every month and pay my supplier exactly what we owe......no more and no less. (Although normally a fan of direct debits I don't do them with energy companies, as I don't intend to give them carte blanche to dip into my bank account when they feel like it.)

I'm also far too old to be intimidated by bully boy tactics from the energy firms, insisting that I must have a smart meter fitted! ;) :cool:
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Absolutely!........and in fact my electrician said exactly the same thing to us, when re-wiring our extension. The last thing we need is someone mucking around with our electrics, having just had everything sorted out to our satisfaction.

I've never liked the idea of smart meters anyway and am not intending to have one any time in the near future (as I informed my electricity supplier in no uncertain terms.:p) I never have estimated bills as I always read our meter every month and pay my supplier exactly what we owe......no more and no less. (Although normally a fan of direct debits I don't do them with energy companies, as I don't intend to give them carte blanche to dip into my bank account when they feel like it.)

I'm also far too old to be intimidated by bully boy tactics from the energy firms, insisting that I must have a smart meter fitted! ;) :cool:

How about a tariff based in actual usage with automated readings?
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    How about a tariff based in actual usage with automated readings?

I was under the impression that I had already explained that I didn't want a smart meter (automated readings or not).
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gaikokujin wrote: »
    Had this exact experience today with Eon.

Currently a customer of theirs on a 1 year fixed rate deal which is coming to an end next month. Using the check on their website I was able to find an equivalent tariff to sign up for costing pretty much the same as what we pay now (all other options offered were around £15-20 a month more). However when looking under the ‘features’ section for this tariff it states that by signing up to it you agree to have smart meters installed.

Looking at it further this same caveat appears on ALL the tariffs they were offering: the only exception was the standard rate (i.e. most expensive).

Contacted them using both their online webchat and on the phone to check if what I was reading was correct and got the same answer both times: from now on in if you want to be a customer of Eon and not pay their standard rate then installation of a smart meter is mandatory…absolute joke.

Hello Gaikokujin and just to confirm, as promised in my reply on the thread below, I've passed your comments through to those at E.ON responsible for these decisions.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5965134

I'm also including comments on this thread as well other related threads on this forum and others.
    It's a joke because in the case of Eon where they state that you ‘must’ have a smart meter installed it also says that if for some reason that can't happen (i.e. 'technical' reasons) then you will still remain on that tariff. Can't see the difference between that situation and someone just doesn't want one installed? They obviously make naff all difference to both the supply of the fuel and their systems so why force them onto people who don’t see the need for them?

I can confirm, customers going on to smart conditional tariffs but are unable to have these meters at this time, can stay on their chosen tariff.
    Thanks for the heads up. I did sign up for the MSE energy club thing last year but as we were still within the period where an exit fee could be charged haven’t looked at it in a while. Would be interesting if Eon are offering a tariff on there without the smart meter caveat though, given what I’ve been told by more than one of their employees today…

As gt94sss2says, exit fees don't apply when moving from one E.ON tariff to another. This applies outside of the renewal period too.

Thanks for raising these points Gaikokujin and I'm sorry we can't give you what you want.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Gaikokujin
    Options
    Hello Gaikokujin and just to confirm, as promised in my reply on the thread below, I've passed your comments through to those at E.ON responsible for these decisions.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5965134

I'm also including comments on this thread as well other related threads on this forum and others.

Appreciate that and will just say for the record that everyone who I’ve talked to at Eon about this (yourself included) have been nothing but professional and courteous. At the end of the day the decision to do this has been taken by someone else higher up in the business and not those like yourself who will bear the brunt of any public disapproval.

I can confirm, customers going on to smart conditional tariffs but are unable to have these meters at this time, can stay on their chosen tariff.

As gt94sss2says, exit fees don't apply when moving from one E.ON tariff to another. This applies outside of the renewal period too.

Thanks for raising these points Gaikokujin and I'm sorry we can't give you what you want.

Malc

Appreciate that and will just say for the record that everyone who I’ve talked to at Eon about this (yourself included) have been nothing but professional and courteous. At the end of the day the decision to do this has been taken by someone else higher up in the business and not those like yourself who will bear the brunt of any public disapproval.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options

Many thanks for your understanding Gaikokujin. It's really appreciated. It's good to hear the advisors you've spoken to have been professional and courteous.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    simmotech wrote: »
    How do you know it doesn't require smart meters?
    Does it specifically say that? If not, read the T&Cs first to be sure!

Hello simmotech and I can confirm, the E.ON Fixed 2 Year MSE Collective Feb 19 tariff doesn't have the condition about smart meters as discussed in this thread.

Malc
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    If you are on an Eon tariff already, Eon don't charge exit fees for moving to another tariff with them

It's been confirmed by Eon on this board - see here

Spot on gt94sss2. We don't apply exit fees where customers move from one of our tariffs to another even if they're outside of the renewal window.

Many thanks for posting the link.

Malc
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have ignored every phone call, every text, every letter from them. They are perpetually, almost daily, mithering me by some medium.

Thing is, I have a a few issues with it.

1/ I believe it makes it trickier to change suppliers as that often means ANOTHER bl00dy meter to be fitted....

You don't need another meter fitting - why do you think that???

If you meter is a 1st generation one, then once you switch supplier it will revert back to a dumb terminal - but over the next 2 years, these meters will be updated to have the same functionality as the 2nd generation meters - so when you switch suppliers it will stay a smart meter.
    Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Captain_Phukwit
    Options
    Dopes anyone know of an energy comparison site where you can specifically request to see ONLY the tariffs that don't force you to have a smart meter fitted?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure