Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16

Options

Comments

• marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    11/16 for June and 3/5 for SNC please Shaggy.
    Arkers and Man Pants I didn't want to read and run; if you'll allow me to I would like to send you both a virtual hug ((( ))). Life is sh***y sometimes. XX
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Arkers some lovely positive comments for you. I do feel for you. Am currently waiting to find out what I have is malignant or benign. Mine is in a different part of the body. It’s hell but like the others said, sounds like it has been caught early. The treatment for bc is so advanced nowadays. I have started listening to a Calm app every morning. I dread waking up at the moment. It’s not helping much but am sure I will get better at the meditating. I find keeping busy keeps my mind off things. Please let us know how you get on. I definitely feel better if I don’t drink.

Have woken up after an af night much better. Dreading the phone call I will probably get sometime today. Need to go into the office so at least I have work to do. It’s also tubby club but I might just weigh and run, not sure yet.

Watched Panorama from Monday on alcohol. Jeez has made me even more determined. If I get over this health scare I must turn my life around and not go back to my old ways.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 12/21 for me today thanks.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Arkers and ManPants, really sorry to hear about the awful news in both cases.

Arkers, I do know a number of people who survived breast cancer, so I hope it will be the same for you - if a scan was clear only a few months ago, perhaps it's not particularly advanced? I don't know but for your sake I hope so. xxx

ManPants, hope you can sort out what you need to do - maybe, if it is really impossible to reconcile with your partner, and you could afford to live somewhere like Goa, you could perhaps run a bar there, or something like that? You've got the experience now. It may well be the last thing you want to do and fair enough but just saying that's one possibility that comes to mind that might give you some hope for the future. And I hope you don't have to give away your beloved pet, that sounds awful. xxx
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thinking of you both today, Arkers and Arsenal Barnie. (((Hugs)))
    12/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Arkers some lovely positive comments for you. I do feel for you. Am currently waiting to find out what I have is malignant or benign. Mine is in a different part of the body. It’s hell but like the others said, sounds like it has been caught early. The treatment for bc is so advanced nowadays. I have started listening to a Calm app every morning. I dread waking up at the moment. It’s not helping much but am sure I will get better at the meditating. I find keeping busy keeps my mind off things. Please let us know how you get on. I definitely feel better if I don’t drink.

Have woken up after an af night much better. Dreading the phone call I will probably get sometime today. Need to go into the office so at least I have work to do. It’s also tubby club but I might just weigh and run, not sure yet.

That is so awful. I was scared out of my wits waiting to find out if I had BC. I found it difficult to do anything. I walked alot. I paced a lot. It did help. I couldn't sit. I felt I'd been robbed of peace of mind. I remember being sat in the BC screening clinic in Charing Cross with all the other women - some of them were reading - and I didn't know how they could do that.....

That was 7 years ago when I was 50.

I listen to a lot of ambient sounds these days if I get stressed. Alexa has some great ones - waves, garden sounds, country sounds...
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Super busy here so a quick check in. I'm stuck on a pitiful 4/18. I'll try get better as the month wears on!

Sending a big hug Arkers, be kind to yourself xx
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear Af buddies,

Thank you all so very much for all your wise words and kind thoughts, they really do make a difference. I absolutely love this thread its positive effect on helping us to achieve our alcohol related goals, and just the general vibe. I think the anonymity helps create a level playing field and whether we are politicians, plumbers or preachers it really doesn't matter, there is no one to judge. Thank you again.

Went to body attack this morning and it didn't feel any different. Hope to attend this class for as long as possible (will find out what treatment options are next week). Might not be able to swim as much as I do now but I intend to switch focus to pilates, yoga and meditation in the short to medium term.

There is another area of my life that I have got to grips with since being a member of the thread and that is my weight management, I used to be 99kgs (173 cm tall) and now I am 66.6 or thereabouts a massive turn around which I have kept off for nearly 3 years. To that end I am entering the battle in a much healthier state then I would have.

MP - hopefully a positive will come your way, as a nurse you've probably experienced more life events then most and this should stand you in good sted for your future, thanks for your expertise it's really appreciated.

Maman - have a great holiday, enjoy.

Overwhelmed with the hugs.

4 please Shaggy

Arkers x
  • Season_of_Mist
    Options
    Very best wishes to Arkers, arsenalbarnie, Manpants and anyone else who is having a rough time.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    .....ohh yes aresenal beanie ((hugs))
    Arkers x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income