MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Richard have a ring of truth?

Options

Comments

• rozzid
    rozzid Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I say keep the ring for his daughter. The agreement was that they could all go through the house and take any mementos - it was the actual house itself that was to be sold and the profits split. It seems as though Richard took the ring as a 'batterered' piece of jewellery for his daughter so it appears to have been taken in good faith and not as something that was seen to be valuable that he could sell. I hope his daughter enjoys having something that belonged to her great grandmother.
    Rose :j
  • Punkygoth
    Punkygoth Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    He should keep the ring ;)
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd keep it ... he chose it not knowing it's value. Why should he share it's worth with his "rich cousins"?
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • mrbrightside842
    Options
    If he's giving the ring to his daughter, he should maybe keep it, but I think he should tell the truth to his cousins. Maybe not say how much it's worth but say that it could be worth more than expected. Otherwise if they all found out (what happened to that really epensive ring...?) then it could get nasty.
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    I would keep the ring for my daughter cos it would feel like stealing from her to me...

As for declaring it surely that doesn't come into it as technically now it's his daughter's?
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • FIONA_K_2
    Options
    The ring should be kept as an heirloom for richards daughter. Regardless of how much it is worth the sentimental value is more. I have a ring that my granny used to own, it isnt worth a fraction of the ring richard has but I now wouldnt be without it.

Dont be greedy, the ring will be worth more as a keepsake to remind you of your granny!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Keep schtumm, it was found as an item in the house without prior knowledge of it's value. As long as the others were in the same position to have found it, i don't see the problem - they could be holding onto other valuables you don't know about.

It does sound like a plot stolen from Only fools and horses though...
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    If he is going to keep the ring in the family, say nothing. If he intends to sell it, then he should come clean about its value.
  • pezza88
    pezza88 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    He should be honest and declare it. He should say that he wants to give it to his daughter and hopefully his cousins will let him keep it. COOPERATION AND HONESTY is the important thing
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Hi moneysavers,

The wealth of the cousins is not relevant (there tends to be a situation of
    the more you have the more you want).

The important thing is to sign off the estate - so that EVERYONE agrees with the final account and the share of the "spoils". There is nothing worse than an ongoing family feud, especially when it is inspired by the green eyed monster.

The only dillema is "do we keep it or do we sell it?" You cannot eat it, it might fall in value, would grannie be more proud to think her old ring had (say) helped someone to be the first to go to uni or set up their own business etc. etc.

Either way it is now a private matter and I would NOT tell the cousins what it is worth.

John (a pensioner who has lived through similar decisions).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure