Electric cars

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Took charge of my new 40kWh Nissan Leaf 2.ZERO on Friday.

That's what I like to hear! The more people upgrade the more second hand cars will enter the market. Personally I'd fancy a 60kWh Ioniq but they're neither available or in my price range!

With both Kia and Hyundai, production figures suggest they're still being constrained by lack of batteries as the waiting lists certainly point to demand being there.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 8:41AM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Some loads cube out, yes, then there's part loads. But not many - and it's certainly not something any haulier will be happy to rely on.

Could you provide some numbers to support your claim that it's not many. I've previously supplied links to info suggesting that in the States:-
    The data regarding truck weight is collected by the States and consolidated by the FHWA using a technology called weigh in motion. The last time I looked, about 3 years ago, less than 10% of the trucks (class 8-13) were running near, at or above 80K pounds.

Also, while you are responding, could you now please supply the evidence on which you claimed the two trucks at the launch were stage-locked mock ups, and the two mules now making deliveries are different vehicles, quickly knocked up after (not before, for some reason) the launch?

Just trying to complete all of your posts and claims with actual proof/evidence. And to be fair, I have asked you a number of times.

Thanks.

Do you mind terribly if I fail to hold my breath?

Probably not a wise decision when you have your head buried in the sand.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The more people upgrade the more second hand cars will enter the market.
    Younger daughter and her husband are taking on the 30kWh Leaf I've got.

I went for the Nissan because I can manage with the realistic, for me, 150-160 mile warm weather range, and having experience of the old Leaf I know it will be well put together. Icing on the cake is that it helps keep British people in work.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Add 2t to the unladen weight, and you've just taken damn near 10% off the payload.
    Originally Posted by Martyn1981 View Post
    Nope. You've taken 10% off the max payload.

Tautology, much?

I let this bit slide, as it's just your usual silliness, but having thought about it, it's actually incredibly important, and possibly goes a long way to dealing with your general misunderstandings and excessive EV negativity.

Your statement is that any extra weight reduces the payload.

My response is that that is not true, as it only reduces the payload, if the weight of the payload exceeds the max.

So, if using your additional 2t batt weight and truck/trailer weight estimates, then the max load may have been reduced from 28t to 26t.

But, obviously all loads of 26t or less are not impacted, as per my statement - "You've taken 10% off the max payload."

Your claim - "Add 2t to the unladen weight, and you've just taken damn near 10% off the payload." falsely claims that all payloads are impacted.

This basic lack of understanding is similar to the silly claims we have seen on here by folk who think that

'until an EV can drive 400 miles without recharging, it's not suitable/viable'

however, the truth is that 'until an EV can drive 400 miles without recharging, it's not suitable/viable ...... for folk who want/need to drive 400 miles without recharging'

There is a significant, in fact, essential importance to understanding the difference here.

So back to trucking. If your claims are true that the Tesla will weigh 2t more than other similar tractors, then your payload claim only applies to fleets that operate at, or within 2t of the max payload. All other fleet managers won't mind at all. Hence why I asked you to support your latest claim
    Some loads cube out, yes, then there's part loads. But not many - and it's certainly not something any haulier will be happy to rely on.

as it's quite important/significant. Thanks.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I let this bit slide, as it's just your usual silliness, but having thought about it, it's actually incredibly important, and possibly goes a long way to dealing with your general misunderstandings and excessive EV negativity.

Your statement is that any extra weight reduces the payload.

My response is that that is not true, as it only reduces the payload, if the weight of the payload exceeds the max.
    You're using "payload" to describe the weight of the actual load.

I'm using it to describe the potential maximum weight that can be legally carried - which is the usual definition used across the entire haulage and motor industries.

If you hire a van and fill it with helium balloons, it does not have a negative payload. The payload does not change.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    You're using "payload" to describe the weight of the actual load.

I'm using it to describe the potential maximum weight that can be legally carried - which is the usual definition used across the entire haulage and motor industries.

If you hire a van and fill it with helium balloons, it does not have a negative payload. The payload does not change.

I take it you are trying to slither your way out of yet another 'broad statement' of negativity? Fair enough then, if we both agree that it's not necessarily a negative for many fleet managers.

However, your follow up statement:-

appears to support my interpretation that you are implying that most loads (the inverse of 'not many') will be impacted. So once again you appear to be trying to dig your way out of a hole, using contradictory claims.

Anyways, back to you supplying proof of the grand statements that you've made, and for which I've asked many times now:-

1. Proof that the Tesla semi's at the launch event where not mules, just stage-locked vehicles barely capable of moving themselves.

2. Proof that the trucks now being load tested by Tesla are new mules, as you stated, knocked together after the launch.

3. Proof that most UK loads are near to max weight, or shall we say, within 2t of max.

I'm assuming this information is at your finger tips, after all, Shirley you wouldn't make those 'statements of fact' falsely?

• Martyn1981
    Options
    US EV's getting cleaner, now equal to 80mpg, up from 73mpg as the grid gets a little cleaner.

Electric Cars Are Getting Greener, Says UCS Report

And of course, an EV can continue to get greener as it ages (unlike an ICE vehicle):
    The good news revealed by these latest UCS findings is that electric cars can continue to reduce their carbon footprint in the future as the grid gets greener. No one can make the same claim for existing cars with internal combustion engines. And newer EVs are even more efficient. UCS highlights the Hyundai Ioniq BEV, Prius Prime, and Tesla Model 3 as three cars now on the market that have significantly lower carbon footprints than similar models from just a few years ago.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Remember the giant mine truck that was converted to batts. It runs loaded, down from the site charging up the batts, then runs empty, back up. It actually 'makes' energy which has to be fed to the grid, cool!

Speaking of which, article today on another mine experimenting with these giant diesel electric trucks ..... more leccy, less diesel.

Swedish Copper Mine Converting Monster Trucks To Run On Electricity

Perhaps in the longer term, they'll be able to ditch the diesel engines and put enough batts on board to run the trucks for periods between overhead cables, then receive a charge for part of the journey.

Oh, and being Northern Sweden, that might make these trucks 'water-powered'.

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2018 at 10:37AM
    Options

2. Proof that the trucks now being load tested by Tesla are new mules, as you stated, knocked together after the launch.

There are now videos of one of the "knocked together" mules accelerating at car speeds, seems they did a good job building that given it was such a rush job.

But once that objection is shown to be false, AdrianC will just raise another. And then another.
    Even if he got a delivery to his front door via one he'd claim its a scam and had been waiting round the corner charging for a week and not really come from 250 miles away.

I am somewhat surprised that Walmart, UPS, Pepsi, Anheuser-Busch and many others haven't hired him as a consultant, since he would be quickly able to show them how the wool has been pulled over their eyes and that of their engineers looking over these mules and really there's a Bosch diesel unit under the hood, or perhaps a Model X and the rest is made of Papier Mache to keep the weight down.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have asked all over the internet and nobody can tell me what the unladen weight of the trucks are

Considering they haven't launched yet, you'll have to wait!

And can we please put this infrastructure/supply problem to bed? I can sit at my desk here as an uneducated pleb, and I can think of the answer - batteries, on site. You know, like the ones they put into the trucks/cars? Charge those up constantly (peak load them) and blast the electric into vehicles when needed. Next problem...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback