Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just received my Monmouthshire maturity letter. The available bonds are not great (1yr, 1.2%, 2yr, 1.45%, 5yr, 2%), and the regular saver (2.5%) and celebration regular saver (3%) necessitate a branch visit. Yuk.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mgarl10024 wrote: »
    Just received my Monmouthshire maturity letter. The available bonds are not great (1yr, 1.2%, 2yr, 1.45%, 5yr, 2%), and the regular saver (2.5%) and celebration regular saver (3%) necessitate a branch visit. Yuk.

That wasn't my experience at all! Can't remember my last visit into Wales and I've got the passbook for the CRS! Check again. :)
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I cannot see anything that has changed this week.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its all gone a little quiet on the Reg Sav front of late. Especially decent rate, open to everyone, on line, accounts.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • mgarl10024
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    That wasn't my experience at all! Can't remember my last visit into Wales and I've got the passbook for the CRS! Check again. :)

Are you sure?

My regular saver maturity letter says to check the website for their current rates, and both https://www.monbs.com/products/celebration-regular-saver-bond/ and https://www.monbs.com/products/regular-saver-bond-issue-3/ state "Please note this account can only be opened in person at one of our branch or agency offices."

If I recall from this thread, a few weeks back when the new account came out they were allowing postal applications, but I don't think this is the case now.

Would obviously be interested to learn if I'm mistaken.
  • schiff
    edited 25 May 2019 at 8:31PM
    Options
    I assumed your 'Monmouthshire maturity' was of a regular saver. If it wasn't things may be different.

My first contact with them was to open the Regular Saver Bond (Issue 1) in August 2018; their acknowledgement letter thanked me for my 'online application'. Same thing happened when I opened my Celebration RS (Issue 14 ) last month.

I don't live in Wales!

PS: My paperwork about both is scant and I've none of the scribbled notes I usually make when starting something new. I don't have any recollection of why it was straightforward for me; there may have been some discussion on here. Perhaps someone else could enlarge on it?
  • mgarl10024
    edited 25 May 2019 at 10:14PM
    Options
    I assumed your 'Monmouthshire maturity' was of a regular saver. If it wasn't things may be different.
    Your assumption was correct.
    My first contact with them was to open the Regular Saver Bond (Issue 1) in August 2018; their acknowledgement letter thanked me for my 'online application'. Same thing happened when I opened my Celebration RS (Issue 14 ) last month.
    I don't have any recollection of why it was straightforward for me; there may have been some discussion on here. Perhaps someone else could enlarge on it?

Hi schiff,

Thanks for your replies. Let me try to clear up a few things...

1) Back last May, I too applied online for the Monmouth Regular Saver Bond @ 2.5% (Issue 1) and got one
    2) This account is now about to mature
    3) In April 2019, Monmouth released their Celebration Regular Saver Bond (issue 14), paying 3.00%.
    4) I missed the announcement of the Celebration Regular Saver Bond and did not apply
    5) A couple of weeks later, Monmouth pulled the ability to apply online or by post and required a branch visit - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776240&page=105#2100
    6) To back up (5), both https://www.monbs.com/products/celebration-regular-saver-bond/ and https://www.monbs.com/products/regular-saver-bond-issue-3/ state "Please note this account can only be opened in person at one of our branch or agency offices."
    7) I now find myself in a situation where I have a maturing account, and nothing decent to apply for (unless I am prepared to make a branch visit)
    8) Yuk. :(

I'll phone on Tues to confirm I can't apply by post, but I suspect it'll mean that I'll cease to be a member once the account matures. I could leave £100 with them to be a member, but their rates on anything non-regular are not appealing.
  • JamesRobinson48
    JamesRobinson48 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 7:18AM
    Options

I'll phone on Tues to confirm I can't apply by post, but I suspect it'll mean that I'll cease to be a member once the account matures. I could leave £100 with them to be a member, but their rates on anything non-regular are not appealing.

You could pay as little as £1 per month into the Monmouthshire's Christmas Saver, which at 1.55% (incl. bonus) isn't bad if the purpose is to remain a member. That account has an indefinite term.
  • youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As mgarl10024 stated the Monmouthshire Regular Saver Bonds can only be opened in person now.

I applied for the 2.5% in August 2018 and I think they pulled the online applications after launching the Celebration 3% Bond.

I too missed out on the Celebration offer as it was pulled for online applications the following day after being posted on here.
  • schiff
    Options
    Only twice in the last 13 store issues (4 to 16) has the maturity date been other than two months after the previous one. Store 12 was one month after and Store 14 (out of sync) was two months and three weeks.

Surely number 17 is imminent?

Or are they moving back to online versions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure