Smart Meters mandatory on new fixed term deals

Options
Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals? I've just checked Ts and Cs on a few and frequently see something along the lines of:

By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to be contacted by xyz company and where eligible have a smart meter installed for each fuel supply.

PS: With the utmost respect to anyone commenting please don't spam me with Bulb or Octopus referral deals.
Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
DFB Christmas club number: #158
Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free :beer:

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Suppliers are being pressurised by OFGEM with the threat of fines to install more smart meters. As no sensible person will have one installed they need to force them onto customers as a condition of the cheaper deals.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that suppliers are making Smart Meters mandatory for some of the better energy fixing deals?

Only mandatory if they can actually install them. If they cant then you still get the deal. Very many people cannot have smart meters due to lack of a phone signal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sirloyneofcowes
    Options
    thanks both, it helps to underline my thinking.

i must admit i was tempted to get a smart meter (for about 3 nanoseconds) but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)
    Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
    Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
    DFB Christmas club number: #158
    Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free :beer:
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Only mandatory if they can actually install them. If they cant then you still get the deal. Very many people cannot have smart meters due to lack of a phone signal.

Not necessarily, there was a First Utility tariff that said along the lines of "you agree to have smart meters installed, if this is not possible we will move you to another tariff and charge exit fees".
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are EDF forcing smart meters?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Not necessarily, there was a First Utility tariff that said along the lines of "you agree to have smart meters installed, if this is not possible we will move you to another tariff and charge exit fees".

I suspect that cannot be enforced. The end consumer is not going to know whether they are able to have a smart meter installed. So, to expect them to pay exit charges due to a limitation by the supplier would almost certainly be considered an unfair contract term.

However, I will revise the point and say in many cases, you still get to keep the tariff if they can't install the smart meter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

There are a lot of reports of fitters turning up and fitting SMETS1 meters regardless of whether they get a mobile signal or not - all down to quotas and "pay per installation" deals with contractors.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)

Accurate billing? Although I feel for many that would be seen as a downside!

Which bring the more important question, what are the downside to having one. There are none. Your current meter is going to be changed at some point anyway. You will end up with a hobbled smart meter then. Why not have a working one!

(For a real benefit though I will say access to HH data to show you when you are using things is great and can be interesting).
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    thanks both, it helps to underline my thinking.

i must admit i was tempted to get a smart meter (for about 3 nanoseconds) but I still cannot see the benefit for me to take one (aside from having the better deals) - if anyone can give me one other good reason how it benefits me then I'll consider it (aside from the better energy deals)
    Both my smart- meters have lovely red and green LED lights on them;...sometimes they flash on and off,...brilliant!

That alone should be reason enough for anyone to have smart-meters fitted, IMHO.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Suppliers are being pressurised by OFGEM with the threat of fines to install more smart meters. As no sensible person will have one installed they need to force them onto customers as a condition of the cheaper deals.

I'm a sensible person and I'm considering having one installed if they can guarantee smets2.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure